Fairwinds Credit Union Reviews

21 reviews filtered by
Larry F. Tobin

1. Awesome

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union

Pros

They are really good and friendly

Cons

They are open Saturday, the pay is not that great

2. Not the best

Current Employee - Teller in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teller in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

401K
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Health insurance
    Close at 1pm on Saturdays, off on Sundays, off on federal holidays.

Cons

High turnover rate
    Too focused on sales.
    Does not follow their mission: "To improve the members financial well being".. that's a lie because all they want is for you to get auto loans, mortgages, credit cards etc. There's a difference between saving them money and just trying to get the in debt just to achieve their sale goals.
    NO room to grow unless you're good at exceeding your sales goals.
    They swear that Fairwinds does not sell....they "ADVISE". That's a lie, if all we did is advise, then why do we have our manager down our throat over goals.
    Very stressful.

Stick to your mission.
    Go back to your old roots on trying to help members.
    Stop trying to be a bank, you guys swear that credit unions are better and are nowhere near banks, then please prove it.
    Appreciate your employees more.
    HR promotes themselves way too much, they are too focused on themselves, and not worried about their employees nor the high turnover rate.

3. Hypocrisy Galore

I worked at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great members, pay is competitive.

Cons

Managing by intimidation and fear is the trend.

5. Excellent place to work for. Always opportunity for advancement

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Pay. Communication. Always able to learn something on your own time, everything is easily accessible. Organization. Nice people.

Cons

High high high goals and standards which was stressful a lot of the time.

Values seniority above productivity

Current Employee - Lending in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lending in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, nice people, not much work required depending on your department, easy to keep your job/hard to get fired, ability to create your own position if you know the right people, sweet annual Christmas party

Cons

Difficult to get promoted without moving locations, HR is absurdly powerful and promote themselves often, high turnover rate for MSRs, middle management only has trappings of power and no real power, distant and uncaring executives and CEO, lots of internal competition for jobs, if you meet your goal one year they will raise it the next

Have more control over HR. Stop raising goals to an unrealistic number. Give better raises and promotions to people who deserve it. Make an effort to retain good people and drop the ones who aren't performing. Be more involved with everyone.

7. Very high turnover rate

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefit packages, holiday pay. Branches are closed on Sundays and close early on Saturdays.

Cons

It's very hard to move from the branch to back office. Not enough back office jobs, which explains why they perform so poorly. Branch management is clueless, policies are inconsistent across all branches. Goals are close to being unattainable. Fairwinds claims to look in the best interest of members but all they seem to care about is selling. Extremely corporate and stressful environment. Teller turnover is extremely high and getting fired has become much easier as they constantly implement policies that makes termination easy to attain. This company definitely believes that we are all replaceable. No bonuses.

Decrease branch goals, or increase pay. Tellers work under extreme pressure and stress due to these unattainable goals. Focus on making your employees happy and maybe the turnover rate will decrease. Offer bonuses, make us feel important. I don't feel important working at Fairwinds, and your work ethics definitely make me feel replaceable. Hire more floater tellers and make sure that branches are fully staffed.

8. My time as a Member Service Representative

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, vacation time, sick time, and 401k, an you can easily contact anyone within the company, even upper management. They provide an excellent training program for each new position you apply for. I would have stayed of with this company if I hadn't moved out of Florida. They really care about their employees and do whatever they can to make you enjoy your workplace.

Cons

Hard to move up because of limited number of position openings in the Corporate office.

9. Could be better, could be worse.

Former Employee - Msr
    Former Employee - Msr

I worked at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time

Pros

Hours and benefits are decent.

Cons

They say they want to promote from within, but seemingly rarely do. They say they care about "member advocacy," and being a local credit union, but are more concerned about playing at big bank (and failing at that, too). Unless your "recommendation" goals (aka high pressure sales) are super amazing don't expect more than a 2% raise each year- or even to keep your job, since they do fire people for not getting enough referrals/apps. If you are an MSR especially you might feel like you're an automaton spewing the same phrases and sales pitches over and over, ad nauseam.

This is like talking to a big brick wall.

STRESSED

Former Employee - Management in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ok salary, benefits and standard PTO.

Cons

Upper and branch management had no employee relationship skills. Everyone was miserable at the branch. Upper management worked you to death for production and if you did not succeed, the whip came out!!! Horrible!!!

Value your employees!!! Take notice that good employees are leaving for a reason!!!

11. Great people, ok management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Fairwinds Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are great and caring. Benefits are exceptional as well.

Cons

Management is indecisive and their decisions trickles down to everyone at the company. There is nothing worse than having to do something over 3 or 4 times because they keep changing their minds.

Management needs to become more discipline.