Fallon Community Health Plan

Updated November 21, 2014
2.6

Fallon Community Health Plan President & CEO W. Patrick Hughes
W. Patrick Hughes

Progressive company effectively meeting the needs of the Community and beyond.

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership Development Program is an excellent opportunity for the Manager on a Director path.
    Online Learning University for orientation purposes and ongoing educational needs
    Excellent networking opportunities with staff of all levels on a regular basis.
    Creative use of online meeting tools to incorporate remote offices in central meetings/events.

Cons

Main office is not easily accessible for all - downtown Worcester.
    Parking is moderately challenging.

Consider renting/purchasing office space to house all staff of all departments, including large conference room space.

Good company for growth

Current Employee - Management in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex schedule, easy commute, growth opportunities

Cons

Seems like decreasing resources are available to meet increasing demands.

sales

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Originally excited to work at FCHP! Went from excited to looking elsewhere for a position.

Cons

VERY poor management- No-one gets promoted from within in the department I came from, even with outstanding qualifications. Huge turnover in department.

Treat your employees with respect. Be consistent.

Company does not project same image to employees that it does to customers!!

Former Employee - Customer Service and Billing Representative in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Billing Representative in Worcester, MA

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, cheap health/dental/vision insurance

Cons

I worked for this company for 3 years in 2 different departments with a 20cent raise in my 3 years, working over 40 hrs a week. This company is awful to work for and the parking spot they assign you is over a half mile walk (which the sidewalks and parking lots do not get plowed/shoveled early enough for your morning walk to work) I went to work every day, never called out do to their strict attendance policy. Making "friends" with co-workers were frowned upon. While I was an employee the company paid for my MBA with their tuition reimbursement program, good thing they did not use the skills I gained from obtaining an MBA to better their company. If you are looking for company that doesnt care about you or what you can contribute to their growth I suggest applying for a job here.

I suggest the upper management reviews and address their employees concerns because I know I am not the only one that felt like a monkey instead of a human begin everyday.

Wake Up

Pros

Sco program is a good product with excellent potential for growth. The employees are dedicated and work harder than management will ever understand or appreciate.

Cons

Unfortunately this job is not set up to feel accomplished and Kudos! mission accomplished. It is really too bad because this could be a great place to work for but it is so disorganized, priorities are so screwed up and shift so quickly, management is so unstable that the staff does not know which way is up anymore. Every day you are made to feel like a failure even though you are trying your best and leaving your best here no matter what job you are doing. It feels like you have to learn your job every day because no one knows what they are doing they tell you every day there is a new priority on the table and you must comply or else. The morale is so low it is an endless turn around of staff. Insane!!!!

I would tell Managment....Wake up!!! You are losing good employees! Prevent this now! There is no reason for it!!!

Extremely Unhealthy

Current Employee - Navigator in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Navigator in Worcester, MA

Pros

The Team. The team. Coworkers have an education. The team. The commute. The team. Making the best of the crap they throw at you as a team.

Cons

Unprofessional, total chaos, zero support,Upper Management has no clue what they are doing. No-one in upper management knows the regulations of CMS. Things change daily...no make that hourly. You are made to feel like you are a failure because upper managementmanagent does not know how to run the SCO program. Nightmare!

Get a clue on how to run a SCO!!!!!

People do the right thing at Fallon

Pros

For the most part, people try to do the right thing at Fallon and really care about the health of members, the community, and each other. Knowing this, it's hard to stomach negative press about health insurance companies. The majority of people I encounter in all departments are earnest about doing the right thing. It's not easy with all the regulations and pressures but I can honestly say everyone is trying and putting their hearts into it. Our CEO is a warm, caring man. The office culture is positive and caring.

Cons

Company is growing fast and dealing with many outside pressures. It can be hard for everyone to be on the same page.

Consider building in more opportunities to promote health and wellness at work. Some schools set aside time once a week for silent reading - no matter what's going on. It would be nice to lead by example and set aside time once a week or once a month, where everyone walks or stretches etc. We could also have health screening days, etc. Maybe give employees an extra 15 minute break if they exercise.

Navigator

Current Employee - Navigator in Raynham, MA
    Current Employee - Navigator in Raynham, MA

Pros

I am a navigator for Navicare, Fallons SCO product which is an amazing program for the elderly.

Cons

This is such a disorganized place to work. I am an employee at one of the expansion sites and it is a challenge to try to get work accomplished. There is a change in what is considered a priority everyday and navigators case loads are unmanageable and high, I have a current caseload of 95 and when I interviewed was told my caseload would not exceed 70. You spend more time traveling to home visits than in the office and are constantly working late hours and even weekends to try to catch up on your work. I am actively looking for a new job and can't wait to leave !

Something drastic has to be done in order to turn this company around, so many employees have left and many more will continue to leave.

Sales

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time

Pros

FCHP cares about its members, benefits package is competitive, advancement opportunities

Cons

Better training is needed, salaries are lower than other companies for same job, hire mainly from within, making it a hard company to get into,

FCHP was a good company.

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people in my department worked as a team to get things done. Upper management was okay Middle management could be more in the moment.

Cons

Not enough interaction between departments. Sometimes the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. Also some departments didn't know how what they did daily affected the bottom line.