Fallon Community Health Plan

Add Photos

Fallon Community Health Plan President & CEO W. Patrick Hughes

W. Patrick Hughes

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work if you can get in

Clerical (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

I have been working at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people, honest work. Getting HR to bring you in for an interview is the hardest part. It really helps to know someone. Good people. The company has changed since new management.

ConsIf you can get in it is a different culture than previous years. Some hardnosed managers and HR seems to be busy protecting themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more relational with employees.

Good intentions but lots management issues.

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, many fun perks.

ConsTop heavy, many long term employees who've gotten complacent

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a solid look at employees who claim to be overwhelmed causing delays for other departments and/or members.

FCHP was a good company to work for. They valued employees and customers.

Administrative Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFCHP offered health insurance that you could live with and employee benefits that made you feel good about your job. Pay was fair and most managers were fair.

ConsFCHP has been trying to compete with the competition and struggling with that. There have been new managers and new management styles. I saw that the pressure was on in some situations. Most people considered that at least they have a job. HR does not contact you soon after applying.

Advice to Senior ManagementOlder management styles were more employee friendly.

Great employer supporting a work/life balance!

Worcester, MA

ProsExcellent benefits and base compensation with flexible schedules available. Lots of promoting from within and growth opportunities.

ConsReluctant or resistant to change...and hesitant to adapt to new ideas. As mentioned in another review, they talk about wanting to adapt and change but then it does not happen. Change can be good and they need to embrace new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow! The basics are there just need the growth and to inspire a culture that accepts change.

IT Professional

IT Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time

ProsThe health insurance is good and they pay for parking.

ConsOver bearing management. Micromanagement. If you aren't a director or above you don't much matter. You are simply a resource. Decisions are put off until they can't wait any longer and then employees are pushed to heroics in order to make up for it. It's not a good place to be an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bullying your employees.

IT at FCHP

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is a small non-profit, and many of the people in real working jobs care about the well-being of the customers.

ConsIt would seem that upper management has increasingly less concern for their workers, and distance themselves more and more from the actual input and concerns of those with technical expertise.

Painfully archaic

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan full-time

ProsOne of the few large companies in the area.

ConsThis company is frozen in the '80s. They are extremely behind the times, and the environment is almost superstitious. Management is incredibly defensive and seemingly fearful of the most basic standards of technology. An educated and experienced person would be very frustrated here. A townie who would otherwise be a greeter at Walmart will fit right in. Salaries are below state and national averages as well, and it is very obvious that they get what they pay for.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say you welcome new ideas... mean it. Take your employee seriously rather then viewing them as peasants.

Great company

Vice President, Special Projects (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fallon Community Health Plan

ProsGreat processes, people and location

ConsVery cheap with pay and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive with market place regarding pay

This is one of the most unprofessional insurance companies to work for.

I worked at Fallon Community Health Plan

ProsThe best reason would be for the members.

ConsUnprofessional organization and management team.

Was great, now going downhill fast

I have been working at Fallon Community Health Plan

ProsFor a long time Fallon treated employees like family. The salary, work conditions and benefits were good, and everyone felt the company was treating them fairly. The coworkers are great and the company actively supports community service and donations to charitable causes.

ConsThings have changed dramatically in the past year. The company is understaffed, and forced overtime and 70 hour workweeks are common. Vacation days and weekends are not respected.

Unless you have another offer in hand, promotions and bonuses are out of the question. Training is also discourage; one IT person told me it had been over 5 years since the company sent them to a training seminar.

Fallon recently cut their 401k contribution, and they raised the deductible on their health plan. My salary seems to be about 10% below what other companies are offering, but that may just be because raises have been tiny. There is a great deal of talent flight, and most of the director-level management seems to be actively searching for new jobs.

Stress levels have gotten very high. Senior management frequently uses artificial deadlines to encourage hard work. There was one time when I worked all weekend to complete a report which was then ignored for five weeks. The building also contributes to the high stress level. In the winter it's always freezing and in the summer it's always humid. The company did a terrible job assigning cubicles. For example, the medical economics department (people who need quiet in order to think about complex problems) is located right next to the insanely noisy customer service call center.

Turnover is very high, especially among highly skill workers. Middle management is pretty bad, especially in the sales and marketing departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFallon is a community health plan; it will never be able to compete with Blue Cross or the national carriers. Remember that employees are a key stakeholder, and mistreating employees in order to slightly improve the company's profitably will cost the company in the long run.

Worked for Fallon Community Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fallon Community Health Plan reviews and ratings in Worcester, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fallon Community Health Plan CEO W. Patrick Hughes. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Fallon Community Health Plan employees.