Family Christian Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow

Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most customers are great, you have regulars that you can build relationships with(in 10 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame(in 20 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have a clue(in 15 reviews)

Great place under the right management

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsKnowing you're brightening someone's day just by listening to them, flexible scheduling, personal growth, great atmosphere

ConsPressure from corporate to meet unreasonable sales goals, 27 hr cap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry giving employees some real incentive to achieve sales goals. Maybe use some healthy competition between stores, or really rewarding stores and individuals that are doing well. Working at such an uplifting place shouldn't be stressful or turn people into shells of their former selves. I watched so many people change over my time with the company. Think about how important the employees are to your vision being fulfilled, and go from there. You need to take care of them. You can't work 8 hrs a week at min. wage with no hope of getting a raise or promotion, and still want to do your best. They need to feel supported from upper management. Right now, they don't. Your managers need support, too. It's hard to do some of the things you're asking of them... especially with the light shining on the bad and the good going unnoticed. Work a month in one of your retail stores.

It's a great if you can remember why you work here.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI have loved working at Family Christian. The employees and customers are amazing. I have met many along the way and there are only a few that are difficult to work with it. The true heart of the store is ministry and serving the widow and orphan. I've been blessed to experience that first hand and its amazing to be a part of it.

ConsIt's HARD. And I'm not saying that because I don't like hard work. I've been around awhile. You've got to remind yourself everyday why it is you work here. It can be difficult when so much is being put on you to hit your numbers. It's amazing to work at a retailer and sales aren't even discussed, it's metrics, and right now that's iDisciple. I love iDisciple and use it regularly, but I don't think it's going to be the force that saves Family Christian from themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics, teach your staff how to sell. You have some amazing people that work for your company, recognize them. Give them a reason to stick around.

Valued employment

Partner (Current Employee)

ProsValues company holds, opportunity to buy Christian products at discounted prices, flexibility of schedule for part-time work.

ConsManager is more comfortable working back room than dealing with customers although merchandising skills are awesome. Management skills are minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to employees.....pay a decent wage, reward longevity. DO NOT GIVE A 33% DISCOUNT as a reward for a year's service! All partners (at least in our store) are Catalyst members and regularly receive 35% off coupons. The offer of a 33% discount was almost an insult! SO excited to hear the testimony of our new CEO! Looking forward to positive changes. Become more aware of the culture in stores located in unusual environments and market accordingly. Our store misses lots of sales due to corporate lack of knowledge about the make-up of the customer base.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to shop. Difficult place to work.

Assistant Store Manager (MIT) (Former Employee)

ProsWorking in a Christian bookstore is a wonderful experience. Your coworkers and customers are great; you're always seeing the latest new products and it's nice to read the new books and listen to new music as it arrives.

ConsThe continual up-selling at the cash register is frustrating for employees and customers. It seems like corporate thinks of its customers as merely financial transactions instead of people to woo and to serve. And its employees are often treated as if merely a means to an end. They need to upsell or they don't provide a valuable service to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front-line staff. If they are excited about working for you, they will naturally promote the products they are excited about.

It was a friendly environment but the company could work on treating employees better.

Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsIt is a non-profit business. Everything earned after paying necessities goes to a charity. Co-workers were pretty easy to get along with. Most customers were not too difficult. Usually pretty flexible on the hours.

ConsBecause it is non-profit, the pay was terrible. The company is harsh on meeting sales quota and the quota is hard to meet unless you're a really good salesperson. Customers would sometimes assume that being a Christian store means they are entitled to more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe goals set and the reasons they are set are admirable. Wanting to further the Kingdom is a worthy goal but there was too much pressure on it. It became more of a desire to keep a job than a desire to "further the Kingdom." The pay was not enough to make it worth it a lot of the time.

Review of Sales Associate position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere and environment to work.

ConsPay rate is bare minimum.

It had its up and downs like any other place I have worked for

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsPretty flexible around the hours I had. It was fun working with the company and I feel like the direction it is going in now will be good and better than in the past.

ConsLot's of trying to up-sale and were harsh when you didn't do a good enough job (meet the numbers). Also, when I was promoted there was no pay raise, just more responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it felt like the employees weren't priority at all and its nice to feel appreciated.

Run Away From the Hole That is Family Christian Stores

Flex-time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome manager
    Awesome coworkers
    Getting to work in a Christian environment
    Getting to help people
    Flexible work schedule

ConsEverything else.
    I literally don't believe that there is a single competent person working in corporate. Especially any of the district managers. The best and nicest word I can come up with to describe our district manager is: airhead.
    Ridiculous sales goals (ranging from 2%-28% counted on currently seven different goals). Oh, and they're constantly changing. First, they come up with the catalyst membership to line their pockets more. When that didn't go over as well as they hoped, they dumped $5 MILLION dollars into an app that is, at best, substandard. Now after having over seven different metrics to ask for, we're going to only ask for iDisciple subscriptions. Corporate changes their minds faster than the sea changes waves.
    Nothing positive ever comes from corporate. Their favorite way of communicating is to belittle and bully everyone, including the store managers.
    So concerned on conserving money that they won't even repair things or take necessary action (even in extreme situations) when needed.
    Low pay. No further job opportunities.
    They'll take away any kind of passion you have and grind you into dust.

The only reason I've stuck around for so long is to help work my way through until I've completed my college degree and I absolutely love our manager. If it weren't for our manager, I would've left a long time ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your employees. CARE about them. Check up on your DMs. CARE about your customers for a couple months instead of your bottom line and see if there would be any improvements.

Not what I expected...

ICS/Associate (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe relationships built with co-workers, and customers... (Minus management) Also the fact that your able to semi view all the different christian product out here.

ConsDealing with management on the store level and on up. I'm ICS, and I just started a few months ago. However I'm expected to do all of what they ask, even though there has been a major lack of training provided on my behalf. So one can only assume that mistakes will be made, what one wouldn't assume is that management would have such a big problem with what you do, and how you do it, when theres such a lack of training. To top that off, we're expected to do all of what the store associates do with minimal training in that department as well. And because your barely out on the floor as ICS that presents even more problems because now theres lack of training and lack of experience when you finally do get out there. So now your uncomfortable, and trying to learn on the fly, and they have audacity to tell you to promote Idisciple so heavily! They say all you have to do is believe in the product, and if you don't theres the door. Well it would probably be easier to believe in if it were free. everything the app. does, a free one does, and for the most part it does it better! This is a "Family" "Christian" Bookstore, but in my eyes for the most part "Christian" is just a title just like a lot of so-called believers who wear the title but don't live it. And if you want to promote "Family" don't give families another reason to be on the phone as much (Idisciple) and seriously promote family. All in all, the compant is not at all what I felt a Christian based company would/should be. I've had better treatment and expectations from the secular companies...

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on Christ being the center, we say that times are changing and we have to get with it, But God doesn't change. the power to impact change is in his gospel. Thats Biblical. we've gotten so far away from his values and way of doing things, and we wonder why things are progressively getting worse. Just get back to our roots If we're Family Christian...

compared

ICS (Current Employee)

Prosopportunities for missions, working on store level with great people, surrounded by the word of God as long as you don't read the email.

ConsConstant belittling, brought down, nothing is ever good enough, training only happens when they want you to sell something. New managers, MIT's, all positions there is no training and you are expected to hit all goals right off the bat with no training. Senior management above store manager is Terrible. Have no idea what it is like to be in a store and sell. I just compared this company to tractor supply company and the results are staggering. 29% of FCS employees approve of the CEO compared to 77%of TSC employees. 21% of FCS employees would recommend the company to a friend and 77% of TSC employees would recommend to a friend. If this company is really reading the result....then do something. Even with the new Single Ask program.....it has honestly gotten worse.

Advice to Senior Managementquit dressing up scripture and twisting it to suit what you want us to sell and make it look like your constant put downs and ridicule are approved by God. Don't stand on your street corners using your many words to sound good while you twist and turn Gods word. We may be "below" you down here in a store....We are not stupid.

Worked for Family Christian Stores? Contribute to the Community!