Family Christian Stores

147 reviews filtered by
2.5
Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most customers are great, you have regulars that you can build relationships with (in 12 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management excessively micro-manages and processes are antiquated (in 18 reviews)

1. Great Co-workers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works with my school life

Cons

The pay is lower than i would like

2. store manager

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time

Pros

staff and customers very nice

Cons

DM micro managed would not let you think outside the box his way or the highway

Advice to Management

Let your managers have some freedom to manage the store

High expectations for low paying wage.

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with, both the manager and my co-workers, were overall amazing. I absolutely loved working with these people. I am still good friends with several of them. It may not always be like this, but they do seem to hire people who care and who want to be there. I enjoyed what I did for the most part, but it was a lot of pressure.

Cons

The biggest con for me was that you basically had to be a salesperson to do this job. You are getting a dollar or two over minimum wage, maybe, and you have to meet certain sales criteria. You have to get certain percentages for their impulse buy merchandise ($5 deals at the counter), you have to get someone to sponsor a World Vision child every once in a while (which is a hugely important thing but difficult to do when you've made about a two second rapport with a complete stranger in a bookstore), and several other things. This is not just a retail clerk or a cashier, it's sales. I barely made my numbers most of the time.

Advice to Management

Honestly, incentives to meet our numbers would have been nice. Like, the promise of a reward for meeting those numbers as opposed to just the threat of no more job if we didn't.

5. Too much work -too little pay

I worked at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with. Also the chance to review new books and music before their release date

Cons

Being forced to up sell everything. Sales metrics impossible to meet regularly

Advice to Management

Better pay may bring in better employees

This should be the best job ever, but...

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The guests & sharing God with others. Listening to worship music all day.

Cons

Low, low, pay; no raises; poor financial performance of company; unsure future

Advice to Management

New owners & new CEO have a hopeful outlook of company, but the reality of the restructuring the company is going through leaves employees feeling very vulnerable; Lots of disconnect with corporate objectives & the reality front line workers face in rebuilding trust with our guests.

7. Not all it's advertised to be

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really nice people come in.

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing. People get mad when you don't have an item because they waited till the last minute. Store manager spends more time gone then available. You get berated and made to feel inadequate if you don't sell an app that is going to bankrupt the company

Advice to Management

Act like Christians. Treat your employees fairly. Pay a decent wage. Don't expect full access for schedules then only give 20 hrs. Acknowledge and praise your employees

Family friendly

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Hurst, TX

I worked at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Family friendly environment to work in

Cons

Open Sundays, unlike other Christian stores.

STAY AWAY...not so Christian

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager (MIT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager (MIT)

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fellow employees were wonderful in the store even though they were always being written up.

Cons

I have work in retail management for many yrs. and working at Family Christian was the worst job I have ever had. Being a non profit is wonderful idea but it is clear they care more for widows and orphans and not their employees. We had to pressure guest by soliciting for at least 3 to 4 items at register pushing them to at last donate a dollar. We were screamed at by the regional manager for not pushing people to commit to signing up for World Vision. It took the joy out of the ministry aspect because your were written up constantly for not making their un realistic donation goals and their metrics. It was more important for me to sell a 5 dollar item then a 90 dollar Bible. If I didn't sell enough 5 dollar items I would get written up. Sales didn't matter what mattered was hard selling people into commenting to World Vision and silly 5 dollar items. VERY SAD PLACE!

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at Regional managers style of treating their managers and staff in stores. Our regional manager had such a turn over yet they continue to use her. Recently I visit a store and over heard the manager squirming on the phone. After the call I went up to her and ask if she was talking tot he Regional Manger...sure enough she was.

A working environment unworthy of "Family" or "Christian" as top management fails to walk the walk.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only reason to work for this company is its customers, many of whom are loyal, and deserving of a high standard of service. The "perks" for an associate is the satisfaction of helping others in a meaningful way as they examine their faith and relationships to God, family, community.

Cons

Extraordinarily high demands on personal time (line management) and irrational expectations/emphasis on "metrics". Top-down leadership is regularly abusive in tone; despite giving lip service to "family values" most customers would be appalled at the management philosophy and resultant culture were they directly exposed to it.

Advice to Management

Walk 2-3 weeks in "my" shoes. Discover what it is like to present a technology-enabled product/service like iDisciple to a population dominated by 70-somethings living in rural areas, and being told that lower than expected results must be due to "sabotage" by sales force leader-servants. Experience the challenges of working with outdated support systems. Or try to meet customer expectations on price and product with zero influence or control from store manager on down what is stocked or displayed or promoted. Stand on your feet for 8.5 hours working the floor with a smile on your face and a bounce in your step when facing the grind of endless e-mails micro-managing the obvious. And here's one: try hiring ONE qualified associate with the skills needed to work the front lines for the compensation and benefits offered, not only starting workers, but long-term employees. Meet the metrics from the lowest rung, unempowered, exploited, short-staffed... the excuses I hear all the way up is how each tier is treated by the one above, justifying "stuff" flowing downhill. Oh, and one last piece of advice -- what's with all the JUNK put in stores to sell, from "creepy (burlap) Jesus" to a plethora of "cheap" (overpriced) art, jewelry, and trinkets.

11. Easy work, with poor pay.

Current Contractor - Helpdesk Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Contractor - Helpdesk Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Family Christian Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- When you are not on the phone, you can play games on your phone or tablet, and you are on break.
    - You might be able to get SOME experience with upper level technologies to further your career, but not much
    - You get to work a straight 8 hours, you get to go home right when your shift is over, you only work 40 hours a week. No more.
    - Great people to work with, everybody is really nice and genuinely cares about you
    - People are really nice on the phones
    - This job is easy, and comfortable. You come to work, sit in your desk for 8 hours, then go home

Cons

- Poor pay, no raises, no bonuses. (the company is also not doing so well, but if upper management did a better job pay increases could be an option for others and not just management)
    - On the help desk and help desk only, you are required to work some weekend days (this is offset by getting a day off during the week.
    - You are on an ever changing schedule
    -Not many chances to dabble in higher level technologies to further your experience and put something tangible on your resume (you can study material during free time though)
    -You cannot really go out for lunch or participate in activities unless you go off the phones completely, and take an hour out of your own time
    - You have to work with non-relevant and very old technology: You do a good deal of work on an AS400 system, which is a DOS-like system where you type in commands and numbers to manipulate the system and change data

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your lower level employees more. Be more collaborative. The organization would be a better place if it had more drive to perform so that it could pay its employees more to retain the better employees.
    Do not employ contractors if you have plans to bring them in later. Just hire them!