Family Christian Stores

Updated September 11, 2014
2.4

Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most customers are great, you have regulars that you can build relationships with (in 10 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have a clue (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Current employee Home Office

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture is positive and rewarding. Fellow workers are wonderful. Great facilities in Home Office. New CEO and recent changes will lead to better things for our stores.

Cons

Tough business climate brings added stresses. But probably not any different than any other company in this economy.

Listen and act on the feedback the current and former employees provide.

Loved the store, disliked the corporation

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chino, CA

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the positive things we sold, gifts, books, etc.

Cons

The corporation is very tough on employees. There are sales quotas that must be met

Find out what's going on with stores at the local level, the way district managers puch and bully employees.

Amazing experience, Amazing company

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff great customers and a plethora of knowledge around you if you are into Christian books and the Christian faith. I absolutely loved working here!

Cons

Sometimes there is pressured to sell or to promote world vision memberships, but ultimately it helps others in need so it's worth it

Keep up the good work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think this company has the opportunity to be great but they need a lot of work.

Former Employee - Full Time Employee At the Home Office  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Full Time Employee At the Home Office in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the fellow employees were amazing to work with. The opportunity to go on mission trips can be life changing.

Cons

Upper management in certain departments were really corrupt. Low pay and very long hours.

They need to reevaluate everyone on their management team.

Great coworkers; great atmosphere!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder  in  Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love my manager and my coworkers! Employee discount is very generous. I get to meet some amazing people and have even had the opportunity to do mission work in Guatemala, fully paid for by the company. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go, but it was awesome to be offered such an opportunity to serve God and serve others!

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. You are written up and threatened with having your hours minimized or taken away all together (fired) if you don't meet your goals. IDisciple (a web based ministry we are forced to sell to customers) is the company's bread and butter. When you're having a good day and making your sales goal...it's fine....but if you not, and your numbers are down, it can be very stressful. Selling should be fun, but when you're constantly worried about being written up or losing your job, it isn't very much fun, and for what we get paid, that stress just isn't worth it. I personally love my iDisciple app...and I use it often...but I just don't have the excitement needed to sell it due to the pressure and stress. We are paid close to minimum wage and get no raises. They tell us to look at our jobs as a ministry, but a true ministry doesn't get rid of people when they don't make their numbers. It's so sad because it really has the potential to be a great company to work for. I hope things improve over time.

Offer better pay and incentives to the employees. We are the ones keeping your stores open. We are the ones who keep the customers coming back. I don't mind having to sell, but make it fun for us...you can't expect us to love what we're selling if you're constantly threatening us with our jobs if we don't sell enough. I have worked in a commission based retail business that paid more and had less pressure than FCS. Some of us try very hard. We have good days and bad days. We have awesome relationships with our customers. Don't just throw away good employees because they aren't selling to your required capacity. My store has/had some amazing employees but most of them have quit due to the whole iDisciple thing. It's just sad. As I stated before, however, I still have high hopes for the company and I hope things change for the better.

Non-Profit Company that helps children's ministries around the world.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are wonderful. The ability to pray with and for others is a blessing. The team is terrific and hard-working. It is great to get discounts on merchandise.

Cons

Pay is very low for what is expected. Planning from the home office needs to be better as sometimes we are tasked to complete several projects all at once with very few extra hours to do so. Communication from management to employees is very lacking. Store Managers have tremendous pressure, work very long hours, and are threatened on a daily basis with their jobs if they do not perform to the level required. Metrics always change, sometimes mid-stream, and if they are achieved, then the bar goes higher. There are no real rewards for a job well done, other than you get to keep your job.

Home office should visit stores and spend time there before deciding to schedule returns, new footprints, Christmas pack/aways and returns, plus a major holiday promotion, all at the same time. Wall Art footprints do not fit actual walls. Marketing needs to drastically change. Discounts are way too generous. Please consider closing on Sundays.

Would've loved it but...

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Assistant Manager  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Assistant Manager in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees to work with. Always could count on other stores to help when needed. Loved helping children get sponsored with world vision. Enjoyed the customers that came in and getting to talk to them about their walk with Christ.

Cons

Manager was not helpful. I basically did his job. Making the schedule, problem solving, delegating, having talks with the employees. I was the Assistant Manager at this store and my store manager constantly downed my opinions to the point where I stopped asking and just started doing what I thought was best for the store. The sales goals for employees are completely ridiculous and if you didn't make your goal you got written up. Whenever there was an issue within the store upper management never seemed to care. Always feel unappreciated. You never seemed to get encouraged for meeting your sales goals it always was, "You did okay this month BUT..." If I had a different store manager though I would still be working there. Turnover was super high at my store. I was there for only a year and 7 people up and quit.

If there is an issue try to talk to the person before blowing them off. Take a good look at who you have running your stores.

Questionable organization

I have been working at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Flexible schedules help with a good work/life balance. Salary is above average in the industry.

Cons

Upper management excessively micro-manages and processes are antiquated. For a Christian organization, there is lots of backstabbing.

Trust the expertise of the people you've hired.

Working for the Kingdom

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Some people are great! vary flexible. meet amazing people.

Cons

No pay raises. always pushing up selling. uses Working for the Kingdom to guilt trip there employs into sacrifice from thereon Church's.

Stop looking at numbers and help out your empleys by getting on site and work with them to better serve the company.

Lots of Pressure

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved who I worked with and got along great with my manager. I liked getting new boxes and putting things away and setting up the new footprints. I met some amazing people and enjoyed my friendships I gained with my customers.

Cons

I was fun when I actually did hit my numbers but i'd be safe for about two days and then a new month would start and I'd be fighting to stay just above the line or frantically asking customers to get bibles imprinted, try iDisciple or donate to a charity. When we would get new footprints from corporate they would NEVER give us all of the merchandise we needed for the footprint so it would end up looking sub-par. When I first started working there I never realized how many rude customers I'd come in contact with; customers who just blatantly disrespect you and yell you for no reason but say they're a christian and "walk in the light." I had to hold my tongue so many times because I would never want to show disrespect and make customers think down upon this business but geez- if you're looking to work here- be on alert that you WILL encounter rude customers.

Take the quotas away, it makes your staff flustered when customers say no and you end up getting written up for it. I don't agree with that once you're written up you have to read and sign a paper about how to do your job better and "what to say" to customers to get your quota.

Worked for Family Christian Stores? Contribute to the Community!