Family Christian Stores Reviews

Reset
2.8
Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most of the customers are great people (in 12 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management in certain departments were really corrupt (in 18 reviews)

1. Family Christian sales associate

Current Employee - Retail in Statesboro, GA
    Current Employee - Retail in Statesboro, GA

I have been working at Family Christian Stores (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, friendly customers, flexible hours

Cons

Corporate is dysfunctional, not Christian like

Advice to Management

Hire the right staff

2. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, SC

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is all about the Christian lifestyle and you can feel it in the atmosphere. All of the staff got along really well and I enjoyed that part of the job. The manager, Bob, was awesome! He genuinely cared about the store and the staff. I only left there because I had chest pains and they called the ambulance and I went to the ER only to find out my brain was hemorrhaging and I had emergency surgery twice in three days.. That was black Friday 2012 and I have not worked since then.

Cons

The only con I can think of is I never usually made it home with my paycheck. All the merchandise was so great, I would spend my check before it made it home.

Advice to Management

Bob the manager was one of the best I have ever worked for. He jumped right in to help when it was busy and did not sit in his office as many managers do. I heard he left a while back and I still shop there often, They lost a good manager!

3. A Positive Growing Experience

I worked at Family Christian Stores

Pros

I was extremely surprised by how kind and approachable my co-workers were. I felt compelled to constantly improve and had several opportunities to contribute in social media marketing and product marketing. This was one of the most rewarding internships I've had yet. The internships will sharpen your work ethic and your efficiency. It's great if you work best on your own, since most of your time is spent writing and improving content by yourself.

Cons

The internships are very work-oriented. There isn't really time to get to know your co-workers or build relationships. At times, it can be somewhat isolating. Also, you have to learn how to give yourself a pat on the back. There isn't much feedback on your accomplishments. You mostly get feedback on the ways you can improve.

Advice to Management

Celebrating individual's accomplishments makes a big difference. A nice balance between improving weaknesses and reinforcing strengths would help employees see that their hard work is actually helping.

One of the few Christian bookchains around.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christian Product. Non-politically correct climate. Very open leadership team. Very few places that you can be Christian and proud these days; this is one of them.

Cons

Many, many, many, many daily tracked sales metrics and requirements.

Advice to Management

Too many, many, many, many daily tracked sales requirements.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time

Pros

True family at store level DMs I personally worked with were honest and realistic while still holding accountability. Profits given to Christian ministries supporting widows and orphans.

Cons

Many metrics partners need to hit to support ministries, yet we do not pay them accordingly. Technology in stores are lacking.

Advice to Management

If you have managers who are retailers who are operationally strong...listen to them. They know what they can sale and what is pure crap. They know what is happening in the stores. They are you eyes and ears. Let them help you.

Would I recommend FCS as an employer to others?

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate and Keyholder in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate and Keyholder in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Family Christian Stores

Pros

I love working in a Christian atmosphere, surrounded by Christian music and books, Bibles, etc. I am able to pray for people, which is fulfilling.

Cons

I make $8/hr as part-time. I would think after 4 months and being a keyholder, the store manager is not sure about me for a raise. I have 45+ years in retail. As a manager, district manager, and V.P. of Operations. What is my manager unsure about concerning my abilities. After all, I could teach him a couple of things that would help his bottom line, but he is too stubborn and egotistical to listen. FCS is in bankruptcy. It seems to me anyone with constructive ideas to help a bottom line would be a welcome asset.

Advice to Management

Get store managers that are willing to try new things, think out of the box. Things that would help them come out of bankruptcy. I certainly DO NOT FCS to go belly up.

8. Current Employee

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Giving and ministry focused organization

Cons

None that I would note

9. Store Sales Associate

I worked at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Great morale and team players.

Cons

Was Christmas seasonal help only.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work.

Manager in training review

Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT)
    Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT)

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to openly share faith

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and associates. Expectations are too high for their idisciple app. The content you get there is free everywhere else. Mostly 1 person coverage in the store. It's not ran like a retail store by any means, it's ran like a charity. With the sole focus on ministry they're forgetting the business aspect and can't turn a high profit.

Advice to Management

Pay associates more. They can go be a cashier at Lowe's starting for more money just starting out. Focus on business metrics to help business grow instead of just personalization and idisciple.

Enjoyable, but a little frustrating at times.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Family Christian Stores (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are pretty flexible, interaction with the customer base of Family Christian is wonderful and enlightening, communication at the store level is great.

Cons

There seemed to be a lack of communication between the higher ups and those at the store level. Metrics for certain things that were promoted were rather difficult to achieve for various reasons, and it didn't seem like those up top really understood that.

Advice to Management

It's important to get back to the basics of what this company has had in the past: an excellent relationship with its customers. Part of that requires understanding what goes on at the store level, down to the details if necessary.

RSS Feed </> Embed