Family Christian Stores

Updated February 17, 2015
2.5

Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most customers are great, you have regulars that you can build relationships with (in 12 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management excessively micro-manages and processes are antiquated (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Family friendly

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Hurst, TX

I worked at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Family friendly environment to work in

Cons

Open Sundays, unlike other Christian stores.

Not all it's advertised to be

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some really nice people come in.

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing. People get mad when you don't have an item because they waited till the last minute. Store manager spends more time gone then available. You get berated and made to feel inadequate if you don't sell an app that is going to bankrupt the company

Act like Christians. Treat your employees fairly. Pay a decent wage. Don't expect full access for schedules then only give 20 hrs. Acknowledge and praise your employees

It was a very professional and cool environment.

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its not a very big, so all the people in your department you know.

Cons

Its part time and the shifts varied. With me having two children that didn't really work for me.

That there should be more opportunities for full-time positions.

Easy work, with poor pay.

Current Contractor - Helpdesk Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Contractor - Helpdesk Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Family Christian Stores as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- When you are not on the phone, you can play games on your phone or tablet, and you are on break.
    - You might be able to get SOME experience with upper level technologies to further your career, but not much
    - You get to work a straight 8 hours, you get to go home right when your shift is over, you only work 40 hours a week. No more.
    - Great people to work with, everybody is really nice and genuinely cares about you
    - People are really nice on the phones
    - This job is easy, and comfortable. You come to work, sit in your desk for 8 hours, then go home

Cons

- Poor pay, no raises, no bonuses. (the company is also not doing so well, but if upper management did a better job pay increases could be an option for others and not just management)
    - On the help desk and help desk only, you are required to work some weekend days (this is offset by getting a day off during the week.
    - You are on an ever changing schedule
    -Not many chances to dabble in higher level technologies to further your experience and put something tangible on your resume (you can study material during free time though)
    -You cannot really go out for lunch or participate in activities unless you go off the phones completely, and take an hour out of your own time
    - You have to work with non-relevant and very old technology: You do a good deal of work on an AS400 system, which is a DOS-like system where you type in commands and numbers to manipulate the system and change data

Communicate more with your lower level employees more. Be more collaborative. The organization would be a better place if it had more drive to perform so that it could pay its employees more to retain the better employees.
    Do not employ contractors if you have plans to bring them in later. Just hire them!

Great people, great co-workers.

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in South Holland, IL
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in South Holland, IL

I worked at Family Christian Stores as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to meet good people. Close relationship with co-workers. They are willing to help when needed. The manager was fun and approachable. Greg had fun while working hard. Manager got his hands dirty by helping customers along with staff. The work schedule was flexible.

Cons

Getting the customers to sign up to sponsor a child. Not enough instruction to sell product.

Keep up the good work.

Great; until their vision changed.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the Lord, literally!

Helping people find products to enrich their faith .

Cons

Corporate's vision is polar opposite to what the field's upper management communicates.

High pressure sales and expectations for little pay.

If you want used car salespeople, pay them to be such. Otherwise, let them love on the guests and build relationships with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

STAY AWAY...not so Christian

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager (MIT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager (MIT)

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The fellow employees were wonderful in the store even though they were always being written up.

Cons

I have work in retail management for many yrs. and working at Family Christian was the worst job I have ever had. Being a non profit is wonderful idea but it is clear they care more for widows and orphans and not their employees. We had to pressure guest by soliciting for at least 3 to 4 items at register pushing them to at last donate a dollar. We were screamed at by the regional manager for not pushing people to commit to signing up for World Vision. It took the joy out of the ministry aspect because your were written up constantly for not making their un realistic donation goals and their metrics. It was more important for me to sell a 5 dollar item then a 90 dollar Bible. If I didn't sell enough 5 dollar items I would get written up. Sales didn't matter what mattered was hard selling people into commenting to World Vision and silly 5 dollar items. VERY SAD PLACE!

Take a hard look at Regional managers style of treating their managers and staff in stores. Our regional manager had such a turn over yet they continue to use her. Recently I visit a store and over heard the manager squirming on the phone. After the call I went up to her and ask if she was talking tot he Regional Manger...sure enough she was.

A working environment unworthy of "Family" or "Christian" as top management fails to walk the walk.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only reason to work for this company is its customers, many of whom are loyal, and deserving of a high standard of service. The "perks" for an associate is the satisfaction of helping others in a meaningful way as they examine their faith and relationships to God, family, community.

Cons

Extraordinarily high demands on personal time (line management) and irrational expectations/emphasis on "metrics". Top-down leadership is regularly abusive in tone; despite giving lip service to "family values" most customers would be appalled at the management philosophy and resultant culture were they directly exposed to it.

Walk 2-3 weeks in "my" shoes. Discover what it is like to present a technology-enabled product/service like iDisciple to a population dominated by 70-somethings living in rural areas, and being told that lower than expected results must be due to "sabotage" by sales force leader-servants. Experience the challenges of working with outdated support systems. Or try to meet customer expectations on price and product with zero influence or control from store manager on down what is stocked or displayed or promoted. Stand on your feet for 8.5 hours working the floor with a smile on your face and a bounce in your step when facing the grind of endless e-mails micro-managing the obvious. And here's one: try hiring ONE qualified associate with the skills needed to work the front lines for the compensation and benefits offered, not only starting workers, but long-term employees. Meet the metrics from the lowest rung, unempowered, exploited, short-staffed... the excuses I hear all the way up is how each tier is treated by the one above, justifying "stuff" flowing downhill. Oh, and one last piece of advice -- what's with all the JUNK put in stores to sell, from "creepy (burlap) Jesus" to a plethora of "cheap" (overpriced) art, jewelry, and trinkets.

Not big on family, but big on Christian

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great customers and amazing opportunities to share your faith

Cons

Company has little regard for employees. You can work your butt off and never get a raise. Seldom promote from within

Reward those who do a great job. No one expects to get rich here but small raises and promotions go a long way to create loyalty

Great culture and people

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Never worked with better people, hard working and willing to go the extra mile. The events with the James fund were amazing. I had a lot of fun working in the office, there was often laughter to go along with the hard work.

Cons

There was just not enough for growth. Small office, means very few openings.

Make sure that the culture remains Christ based and everything will work out well.