Family Christian Stores

Updated November 13, 2014
2.4

Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most customers are great, you have regulars that you can build relationships with (in 11 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management excessively micro-manages and processes are antiquated (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working to help others

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Could work in the field I love, Books.

Cons

The pay is poor for hard workers who out perform their goals.

They do well!

Stressful. Too much emphasis on selling point of sale items and wrong to force employees to push WorksVision.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chino, CA

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome music, great co-workers, met a lot of great customers.

Cons

Forcing us to sell WorldVision and threatening jobs if we don't is wrong.

Change your strategy or mission statement.

Loved the store, disliked the corporation

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chino, CA

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the positive things we sold, gifts, books, etc.

Cons

The corporation is very tough on employees. There are sales quotas that must be met

Find out what's going on with stores at the local level, the way district managers puch and bully employees.

Current employee Home Office

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is positive and rewarding. Fellow workers are wonderful. Great facilities in Home Office. New CEO and recent changes will lead to better things for our stores.

Cons

Tough business climate brings added stresses. But probably not any different than any other company in this economy.

Listen and act on the feedback the current and former employees provide.

Offering to many extras. All employees have to offer no less then 5 add on purchases on every sale.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time

Pros

Christian products and meeting the Christian community in the stores.

Cons

Must do everything and offer multiple extras at the register. Open Sundays and must work long hours.

Follow the Christian attitude of giving and give the employees Sunday off. Stop offering multiple add ons at the register.

Terrible Staff, Unorganized Store, and Uncomfortable and Negative Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the customers and products. The customers were always patient with me trying to help redirect them to another employee or trying to find items myself.

Cons

No one would train me for my 5 weeks. I received numerous rude faces/remarks from fellow employees/manager. It's very stressful to try and sell an app when you were never trained how to do anything and not allowed to even touch the registers. I had no idea where things were in the store, so when I greeted customers or they had questions I had to take them to another employee.
    The store is also not organized. It seems like items shelved are just sat somewhere they don't belong, there were Minister Gifts in the Catholic sections and DVDs that start with P, S, T, and W in the M section. There's not much alphabetizing of DVDs or books. Some staff member said to customers they should be ashamed as a Christian for not getting iDisciple. That won't bring customers back. The bathrooms there didn't have any supplies other than the paper towel dispenser and some latex gloves. That doesn't clean very well... My manager said she went to dust off shelves and the Swifter wipe turned black from only 3-4 little shelves.

Re-evaluate you managers and employees at stores. Mine were awfully rude and made me uncomfortable the whole time I was there. Make sure new employees feel welcomed and part of the team because I wasn't treated right at all. Make sure that the stores stay organized and clean. My work experience was terrible, and I tell people not to shop there or to get iDisciple because if the organization's employees aren't nice, then how are customers going to enjoy their time there and return?

Amazing experience, Amazing company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff great customers and a plethora of knowledge around you if you are into Christian books and the Christian faith. I absolutely loved working here!

Cons

Sometimes there is pressured to sell or to promote world vision memberships, but ultimately it helps others in need so it's worth it

Keep up the good work!

Great coworkers; great atmosphere!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love my manager and my coworkers! Employee discount is very generous. I get to meet some amazing people and have even had the opportunity to do mission work in Guatemala, fully paid for by the company. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go, but it was awesome to be offered such an opportunity to serve God and serve others!

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. You are written up and threatened with having your hours minimized or taken away all together (fired) if you don't meet your goals. IDisciple (a web based ministry we are forced to sell to customers) is the company's bread and butter. When you're having a good day and making your sales goal...it's fine....but if you not, and your numbers are down, it can be very stressful. Selling should be fun, but when you're constantly worried about being written up or losing your job, it isn't very much fun, and for what we get paid, that stress just isn't worth it. I personally love my iDisciple app...and I use it often...but I just don't have the excitement needed to sell it due to the pressure and stress. We are paid close to minimum wage and get no raises. They tell us to look at our jobs as a ministry, but a true ministry doesn't get rid of people when they don't make their numbers. It's so sad because it really has the potential to be a great company to work for. I hope things improve over time.

Offer better pay and incentives to the employees. We are the ones keeping your stores open. We are the ones who keep the customers coming back. I don't mind having to sell, but make it fun for us...you can't expect us to love what we're selling if you're constantly threatening us with our jobs if we don't sell enough. I have worked in a commission based retail business that paid more and had less pressure than FCS. Some of us try very hard. We have good days and bad days. We have awesome relationships with our customers. Don't just throw away good employees because they aren't selling to your required capacity. My store has/had some amazing employees but most of them have quit due to the whole iDisciple thing. It's just sad. As I stated before, however, I still have high hopes for the company and I hope things change for the better.

Think this company has the opportunity to be great but they need a lot of work.

Former Employee - Full Time Employee At the Home Office in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Full Time Employee At the Home Office in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the fellow employees were amazing to work with. The opportunity to go on mission trips can be life changing.

Cons

Upper management in certain departments were really corrupt. Low pay and very long hours.

They need to reevaluate everyone on their management team.

Would've loved it but...

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Assistant Manager in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Assistant Manager in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees to work with. Always could count on other stores to help when needed. Loved helping children get sponsored with world vision. Enjoyed the customers that came in and getting to talk to them about their walk with Christ.

Cons

Manager was not helpful. I basically did his job. Making the schedule, problem solving, delegating, having talks with the employees. I was the Assistant Manager at this store and my store manager constantly downed my opinions to the point where I stopped asking and just started doing what I thought was best for the store. The sales goals for employees are completely ridiculous and if you didn't make your goal you got written up. Whenever there was an issue within the store upper management never seemed to care. Always feel unappreciated. You never seemed to get encouraged for meeting your sales goals it always was, "You did okay this month BUT..." If I had a different store manager though I would still be working there. Turnover was super high at my store. I was there for only a year and 7 people up and quit.

If there is an issue try to talk to the person before blowing them off. Take a good look at who you have running your stores.