Family Christian Stores Reviews

Reset
2.8
Family Christian Stores President and CEO Cliff Bartow
Cliff Bartow

Pros
  • Most of the customers are great people (in 12 reviews)

• The chance to help people in need is the only plus I see (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Now remember World Vision and Family Christian are two different companies so I do not blame (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management in certain departments were really corrupt (in 18 reviews)

1. Decent for a part time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts and great products

Cons

They would always tend to schedule me on days I requested off. Other than that, no complaints. Well, there really isn't any opportunity for growth unless you're planning on being a manager. You can't be a full time employee unless you're training for management.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention when making schedules

2. Family Christian

Pros

The staff was very nice, friendly, caring and tried to work with me. The manager, Mark, is an amazing guy!

Cons

The only have one downside. I'm a fast paced worker, and there were a couple different items you'd have to try and up sale, and try to get people to sponsor children. The lines would back up and I'd try to rush people out the door.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great environment and friendly staff! Right before I left, they were trying to separate the child sponsorship to employees on the floor instead of the counter, I don't know if that was a seasonal thing, but I know it helped me!

3. Sub par

Current Employee - Sales Floor in Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule good environment fun to work at times always good to be helping others good win needed time off of work

Cons

Never opportunity to move up always stay the same pay no opportunity to get a pay raise my second manager was clueless and was a terrible manager

Advice to Management

Don't put somebody in charge of a store that has no clue what they're doing and would rather go to Zumba and then actually be at work

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Floor Leader in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Leader in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress job where you are free to display your faith. Great mentor ship to improve your walk with God. Company has good christian leadership.

Cons

The are open on Sunday's and management sometimes asks you to work consecutive Sunday's. Catholic gift section that sells false idols and other "religious" things the store sells that is not biblical.

Advice to Management

Rotate Sunday's for employees as much as possible so your employees can be the best they can be.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, SC

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is all about the Christian lifestyle and you can feel it in the atmosphere. All of the staff got along really well and I enjoyed that part of the job. The manager, Bob, was awesome! He genuinely cared about the store and the staff. I only left there because I had chest pains and they called the ambulance and I went to the ER only to find out my brain was hemorrhaging and I had emergency surgery twice in three days.. That was black Friday 2012 and I have not worked since then.

Cons

The only con I can think of is I never usually made it home with my paycheck. All the merchandise was so great, I would spend my check before it made it home.

Advice to Management

Bob the manager was one of the best I have ever worked for. He jumped right in to help when it was busy and did not sit in his office as many managers do. I heard he left a while back and I still shop there often, They lost a good manager!

7. Family Christian sales associate

Current Employee - Retail in Statesboro, GA
    Current Employee - Retail in Statesboro, GA

I have been working at Family Christian Stores (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, friendly customers, flexible hours

Cons

Corporate is dysfunctional, not Christian like

Advice to Management

Hire the right staff

8. A Positive Growing Experience

Pros

I was extremely surprised by how kind and approachable my co-workers were. I felt compelled to constantly improve and had several opportunities to contribute in social media marketing and product marketing. This was one of the most rewarding internships I've had yet. The internships will sharpen your work ethic and your efficiency. It's great if you work best on your own, since most of your time is spent writing and improving content by yourself.

Cons

The internships are very work-oriented. There isn't really time to get to know your co-workers or build relationships. At times, it can be somewhat isolating. Also, you have to learn how to give yourself a pat on the back. There isn't much feedback on your accomplishments. You mostly get feedback on the ways you can improve.

Advice to Management

Celebrating individual's accomplishments makes a big difference. A nice balance between improving weaknesses and reinforcing strengths would help employees see that their hard work is actually helping.

One of the few Christian bookchains around.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christian Product. Non-politically correct climate. Very open leadership team. Very few places that you can be Christian and proud these days; this is one of them.

Cons

Many, many, many, many daily tracked sales metrics and requirements.

Advice to Management

Too many, many, many, many daily tracked sales requirements.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time

Pros

True family at store level DMs I personally worked with were honest and realistic while still holding accountability. Profits given to Christian ministries supporting widows and orphans.

Cons

Many metrics partners need to hit to support ministries, yet we do not pay them accordingly. Technology in stores are lacking.

Advice to Management

If you have managers who are retailers who are operationally strong...listen to them. They know what they can sale and what is pure crap. They know what is happening in the stores. They are you eyes and ears. Let them help you.

Would I recommend FCS as an employer to others?

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate and Keyholder in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate and Keyholder in Frisco, TX

Pros

I love working in a Christian atmosphere, surrounded by Christian music and books, Bibles, etc. I am able to pray for people, which is fulfilling.

Cons

I make $8/hr as part-time. I would think after 4 months and being a keyholder, the store manager is not sure about me for a raise. I have 45+ years in retail. As a manager, district manager, and V.P. of Operations. What is my manager unsure about concerning my abilities. After all, I could teach him a couple of things that would help his bottom line, but he is too stubborn and egotistical to listen. FCS is in bankruptcy. It seems to me anyone with constructive ideas to help a bottom line would be a welcome asset.

Advice to Management

Get store managers that are willing to try new things, think out of the box. Things that would help them come out of bankruptcy. I certainly DO NOT FCS to go belly up.

RSS Feed </> Embed