Family Dollar Stores

Updated November 20, 2014
2.3

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Fast-paced job, able to interact one on one with customers to provide excellent customer service (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management is not in touch with reality in daily store operational challenges (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Family Dollar

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to grow with.

Cons

If you are a store manager, you are guaranteed to work over 55 hours if you want your store right.

Learn from your staff as well as coach to excellence

Don't work for this company

Former Employee - Stocking in Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

there are on pros, this company sucks.

Cons

Management is lazy and will have you doing all the work while they walk around on their phones. I had to work the cash register and stock the store, which made it hard for me to get anything done. They have the nerves to get mad when you dont get something finished because you are running back and forward to the cash register.

Stop being cheap and hire more team members

Family Dollar Store Manager going into year three...

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A store manager really is given a wide latitude to be creative in merchandising and develops a great rapport with their SMALL staff and LARGE customer base.

Cons

As a store manager in the Chicago market, we are greatly hampered. The DM's are given great power to cut and add labor dollars when he or she feels...The store website will post we have certain available dollars to spend on payroll. Over 90% of the time, the amount the DM gives us is 15-20% BELOW said company number. This MOST often requires the store manager to work well beyond your salaried expectations (52hrs) to get stores looking "acceptable".
    It is very frustrating to the store managers who care what their stores look like...
    The quality of the store often comes at the expense of the store manager working 10-20 hrs for "free"..aka above and beyond our salaried requirements.

Please form some sort of watch committee/computer program that compares what the company "allows" store managers to spend as opposed to what is actually spent. If it is below a certain threshold percentage, LOOK INTO IT.
    Some district managers are very dirty with what they CAP stores payroll spending at.
    Store manager's raises are partially based on store conditions and if payroll is being held back...this company's success is currently being built on the back's of free labor.....

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Woodstock, IL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only thing I enjoyed about working here was becoming good friends with one of my co-workers.

Cons

They will fire you for any reason. Manager is a joke. They have no idea how to run a store. Especially the GMS. The higher up you go. The less they care. They just have dollar signs in their eyes. The pay sucks and there is no job security. Do not work here.

Treat your employees like they're actual human beings. And make sure if your. GM, you actually know how to do your job.

This is an honest review for this company, please read.

Former Employee - Stocking in Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers were the only good part and a mere few customers.

Cons

This company deserves to be eliminated, i only worked for 2 and half months and i busted my backside multitasking for peanuts! the place was was pure bullcrap!, right from the beginning i would be looked as a thief while not being trained by anyone. And then nobody even works as a group, In fact, no one obeyed the so called "no cellphone while working" policy, not even the managers. They would leave me on the register by myself while they would stock items and be on their phones at the same time. Even the customers would ask me why there wasn't any more people helping at the front?. i didn't even know what to tell them. The managers are arrogant as hell! they think they always know better and focus on treating you like garbage because that's is the only way the store will perform better or so they assume. So you have to be constantly be looking out for thieves, be treated like a subhuman by the managers, and work with old and slow computing equipment while having a long line full of angry people waiting in front of you. No thank you, i'll pass. I got paid the same at my old job and didn't have to deal with this.

These store managers and stores need to be checked constantly.

hello

Current Employee - Cashiers in Lansing, IL
    Current Employee - Cashiers in Lansing, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

ensure you improve associates payment and their benefit just so they can stay with your company and reduce turnovers, Good luck

Cons

great place to work to fill in job gap while looking for something better inthe nearest future. Stores structural upgradeis ongoing which may help in improving the company's image

recognition

Company is on the downturn...

Former Employee - Fountain Operator in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Fountain Operator in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast work environment, well-designed work space

Cons

Total lack of respect from management, tiring work, minimum wage

Treat your employees like human beings, not just space to fill

Give and Take Relationship

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, Scheduling, Compensation, Bonuses, Contests

Cons

No work/life balance, 70hr work weeks, no security

That there needs to be more direct support from HR or corporate

Upper Management Knows, but Does Not Care

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to meet an amazing array of customers who have been through a lot in life. What has lead them to shop at Family Dollar is the real story.....and the only joy I have.

Cons

Upper management knows the required hours it takes to do resets, schematics etc, but uses a "an A manager does what he/she has to do to get the job done" verbal mindset. Translation: any store that has weekly sales above 30k, needs the mgr to work 15-20 hours above and beyond the salaried requirement of 52hrs to be an "A" manager.

Pony up on the labor dollars. We don't need an extra 30-40 labor dollar hours. Just about 20. You guys know you have committed people, stop running us out like the iditarod hounds. Trust us. Sure, not al at once, but try...

Don't waste you time

Current Employee - Cashier in Zion, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Zion, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small store has nice customers (you do get lower class ghetto people, but they make me laugh)

Cons

Poor Management, store manager is very unprofessional, smiles to your face and talks about you behind your back.

Fire the manager at the Zion, IL Store