Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights
16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Family Dollar Store Manager going into year three...

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA store manager really is given a wide latitude to be creative in merchandising and develops a great rapport with their SMALL staff and LARGE customer base.

ConsAs a store manager in the Chicago market, we are greatly hampered. The DM's are given great power to cut and add labor dollars when he or she feels...The store website will post we have certain available dollars to spend on payroll. Over 90% of the time, the amount the DM gives us is 15-20% BELOW said company number. This MOST often requires the store manager to work well beyond your salaried expectations (52hrs) to get stores looking "acceptable".
    It is very frustrating to the store managers who care what their stores look like...
    The quality of the store often comes at the expense of the store manager working 10-20 hrs for "free"..aka above and beyond our salaried requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease form some sort of watch committee/computer program that compares what the company "allows" store managers to spend as opposed to what is actually spent. If it is below a certain threshold percentage, LOOK INTO IT.
    Some district managers are very dirty with what they CAP stores payroll spending at.
    Store manager's raises are partially based on store conditions and if payroll is being held back...this company's success is currently being built on the back's of free labor.....

Terrible place to work.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Woodstock, IL

ProsThe only thing I enjoyed about working here was becoming good friends with one of my co-workers.

ConsThey will fire you for any reason. Manager is a joke. They have no idea how to run a store. Especially the GMS. The higher up you go. The less they care. They just have dollar signs in their eyes. The pay sucks and there is no job security. Do not work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they're actual human beings. And make sure if your. GM, you actually know how to do your job.

This is an honest review for this company, please read.

Stocking (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe co-workers were the only good part and a mere few customers.

ConsThis company deserves to be eliminated, i only worked for 2 and half months and i busted my backside multitasking for peanuts! the place was was pure bullcrap!, right from the beginning i would be looked as a thief while not being trained by anyone. And then nobody even works as a group, In fact, no one obeyed the so called "no cellphone while working" policy, not even the managers. They would leave me on the register by myself while they would stock items and be on their phones at the same time. Even the customers would ask me why there wasn't any more people helping at the front?. i didn't even know what to tell them. The managers are arrogant as hell! they think they always know better and focus on treating you like garbage because that's is the only way the store will perform better or so they assume. So you have to be constantly be looking out for thieves, be treated like a subhuman by the managers, and work with old and slow computing equipment while having a long line full of angry people waiting in front of you. No thank you, i'll pass. I got paid the same at my old job and didn't have to deal with this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese store managers and stores need to be checked constantly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hello

Cashiers (Current Employee) Lansing, IL

Prosensure you improve associates payment and their benefit just so they can stay with your company and reduce turnovers, Good luck

Consgreat place to work to fill in job gap while looking for something better inthe nearest future. Stores structural upgradeis ongoing which may help in improving the company's image

Advice to Senior Managementrecognition

Company is on the downturn...

Fountain Operator (Former Employee) Valparaiso, IN

ProsFast work environment, well-designed work space

ConsTotal lack of respect from management, tiring work, minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings, not just space to fill

Give and Take Relationship

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompensation, Scheduling, Compensation, Bonuses, Contests

ConsNo work/life balance, 70hr work weeks, no security

Advice to Senior ManagementThat there needs to be more direct support from HR or corporate

Upper Management Knows, but Does Not Care

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get to meet an amazing array of customers who have been through a lot in life. What has lead them to shop at Family Dollar is the real story.....and the only joy I have.

ConsUpper management knows the required hours it takes to do resets, schematics etc, but uses a "an A manager does what he/she has to do to get the job done" verbal mindset. Translation: any store that has weekly sales above 30k, needs the mgr to work 15-20 hours above and beyond the salaried requirement of 52hrs to be an "A" manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementPony up on the labor dollars. We don't need an extra 30-40 labor dollar hours. Just about 20. You guys know you have committed people, stop running us out like the iditarod hounds. Trust us. Sure, not al at once, but try...

Don't waste you time

Cashier (Current Employee) Zion, IL

ProsSmall store has nice customers (you do get lower class ghetto people, but they make me laugh)

ConsPoor Management, store manager is very unprofessional, smiles to your face and talks about you behind your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the manager at the Zion, IL Store

Excellent Place to begin your career in Retail

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBetter Training , benefits , top management , flexible working hours , growth prospect

ConsTarget oriented , maintaining team , payroll budget

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuously monitor deviations in store performances and take corrective actions immediately

Biggest Mistake of My Life

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery easy to get hired

ConsTerrible pay, no appreciation, no communication, not enough employees to cover a shift properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciatethe people that work for you.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!