Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance depending on hours and department"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The customers are great, some come in 2-4 times a day and love to talk with you"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance could also be improved upon"
    in 16 reviews
  • "You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Family Dollar is trying to kill their managers

Dallas, TX

Prosdecent pay for managers, good insurance

Cons6 day, 52+ hour work week, only 2 paid holidays. Insufficient payroll to run Your store correctly. Hourly employees can't budget because payroll greatly varies from week to week. Outdated equipment . Too much inventory in stores,.Dangerous environment because of low payroll ( You work alone most of the day in horrible neighborhoods).

Advice to Senior ManagementWould You want Your wives and daughters want to work in one of Your stores? Why do we have to work under the conditions You subject us to? I think everybody at corporate level should have to work at one of the stores for a week under the same conditions we endure! Maybe things would change? Contrary to Your believe we are human beings and deserve some dignity! There is a reason this company is enormous turnover!

So-so

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsConvenience to home, rotating employee discounts

ConsUrban environment, less than staff paraprofessional demeanor

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better

Like being in a narcissistic marriage

Upper Sandusky, OH

ProsQuick advancement learning tool job security

ConsWork hours, no breaks, work load, no integrity

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething dire needs to happen to make this an employee friendly company. Slaves to the grind doesn't equal good results.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant store manager

ProsMet a few good people not including the store manager None really I feel,if I knew more about this company I would have never applied

ConsDon't ever apply, don't get raises work hard store manager not knowledgeable of running a store save work for others leave while on the clock hours go up and down when hired was told I would get 40 hours lies

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training , better pay

This has not been a great experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Whitesboro, TX

ProsThere aren't any really. Best of luck.

ConsTraining is throwing you on a register showing it to you once and leaving you to it. figure out what to do on the down time or hunt them down if they aren't in front. Their "intercom system" is basically a tiny silver bell so when those customer start complaining you better be ringing it as loud as you can.The machines are old and particularly unresponsive. They freeze regularly, the scanners tend to not scan items but beep like they did anyway, the check reader on the cashiers machine rarely works. Workers are not paid fairly for the amount of work they do (and therefor stop working hard at all). Hours constantly change. You cannot plan a week out because you never know when there'll be a budget cut or someone will be fed up and quit. You are Not paid for any holiday other than Christmas, and then you get time and a half. You get double time though if you are full time. You have to be an extremely good multitask-er. If you are an assistant you not only need to stock, assist the cashier, face and recover the store, you need to be the cashier. There is too much overstock. It's not possible to fully work out one truck before you receive another. The work load between team members is very uneven, and managers seem to have no interest in evening it out. So long as they're not forced to lift a finger everything is just fine....

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade machinery. Properly train employees (Hands on training). Give paid holidays, Fix the truck system. Pay your employees fairly. There is no reason why (as an assistant manager) I should be getting less then the minimum pay rate. Give the stores enough money so they can pay their workers fairly. Even go so far as to pay a "living wage". I cannot even afford to pay for a car to get to work...

Expect to be turned over

District Manager (Current Employee)
    Trenton, NJ

ProsThe company provides growth potential

ConsEveryone always assumes that you or someone else is stealing. Good people are always getting fired because DM's are pressured to react to every little report. There is NEVER enough payroll and stores are generally in unsafe neighborhoods. You can expect an altercation with a shoplifter almost daily. They also over promote too quickly, resulting in unqualified and unprepared leadership. These DMs then tend to fail and cause their teams to fail, resulting in mass turnover at many levels once they're ultimately replaced. Not worth working here for the pay and conditions provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a culture change at store level if you ever want to control your turnover issue. I would never suggest Family Dollar as a potential employer to a good friend, family member or anyone that I truly cared about. There are so many better places to work at, especially at store level.

Ensured brand integrity in all my stores within my district with aspects of sales floor presentation, merchandising and

Area Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsWork Life Balance, training and compensation are great

ConsNo growth no perks and discount. Company on a layoff mode

Advice to Senior ManagementComprehensive dynamic and energetic senior level management professional with the ability to communicate, train and develop high performing executives in multitasking, and leadership organization. Effective decision making and sound business judgment with excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills conceptual thinker who can see the whole picture. Comprehensive, senior-level experience in small to large service, Retail operations, specializing in business expansion and new product development, with full P&L and budget forecasting responsibility to create a vision for the team and generate commitment from every team member. Self-motivated professional with a demonstrated work ethic and dedication to lifelong learning.

Politico central

Transportation Manager (Former Employee)
    West Memphis, AR

ProsWorking away from Store Support Center (Corporate office) at one of the 10 distribution centers hopefully will reduce the politics and silo thinking that persist.

ConsAs a manager it doesn't really matter that you are exceeding all you KPI's. If your Director doesn't appreciate your leadership style then you are not safe.
    HR plays way to large a roll in the day to day operation. They insert themselves in the most mundane management decisions to add drama and complication.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe idea of changing culture is a worthy goal.

Distant Family Dollar

Stocking (Former Employee)
    Lawrence, MA

ProsThe company has no pros at all you're at family dollar, need something? Detergent, trash bags you're here already!

ConsI'd say you are there physically at a family dollar is the only con! Working with micromanagement is annoying! The management are uncaring individuals who only care for themselves! They could care less if you are shot in the store over a toy! The managers don't want to give you a break. They also expect you to travel across the state for free!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something other than lie to employees and give broken promises!

Do you like 70 Hour Work Weeks?

Philadelphia, PA

ProsAfter your first paycheck with Family Dollar, start looking for another job.

ConsThey hire you with a 53 Hour work week, but that rarely happens. When you have to work more than that they tell you that you are at fault. Management Turnover is horrific. 70 Hour work weeks common

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement structure is a Ponzi Scheme

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 542 reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.