Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Very professional when it comes down to customer service"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Start at a good pay, its a very nice concept, very quick, Flexible schedule"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "also there is no employee discount and full time people only get TWO holidays per year"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Horrible upper management who actually treats their employees with no value"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's a great working environment !

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

ProsThere is room for growth and advancement! I started as cashier and worked my way up to store manager! The new district manager helps you succeed!He himself makes family dollar worth working for!

ConsPayroll shrinks on a weekly basis! Which is not good ! The pay is great but the hours are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll should increase according to store volume! Too much is expected for the small payroll that is given! This will I turn allow us to help the customer better.

I enjoy my job and the customers.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork with some great people and I enjoy most of the customers. I enjoy my job

ConsNot enough payroll, low wages for what work is expected. Insurance is expensive unable to afford to insure my family and feed them too.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore payroll and and would be able to keep quality help if wages were a little higher. Pay loyal employees what they are worth.

humbling experience that taught me a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Prosgreat work environment, good place to gain retail experience

Consunloading the trucks by hand

working at family dollar the pros and cons

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Ellisville, MS

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay and good benefits with chance for advancement

Consyou never from one day to the next if you will have a job. they are well known to come in and fire the whole store

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to review the team better and stop firing everyone in store. this is a terrible practice that you do .

Overall, a good retail operation

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

ProsThe company, large as it is, does pay attention to the individual stores through the district and regional managers. Follow through isn't always quick or complete, but they do try harder than some comparable retail stores.

ConsThe in-store music CD is horrible, and employees have to listen to it all day long. No employee discount, but this is offset by discount coupons offered every once in awhile. Non-management staff make minimum wages which makes it hard to attract quality people for few hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize there are differences, vast differences, between your rural stores and urban stores. There is also a difference in the merchandise needs from region to region of the country. Regions with true winters could do with more winter clothes, auto products, and outdoor tools (shovels, etc) than popsicles.

store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood experience with large company. good pay

Constoo much work and not enough help.

It is what it is

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

ProsGreat place to work and grow

ConsMiscommunication between departments which affects progress

Overworked, underpaid.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Lubbock, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsCulture is changing to simplify work with schematics, set changes. This company has potential, but is not there yet. There is lots of room for advancement, since the stress and long hours means most managers don't make it over a year or two. This company likes to promote from within, so if you stick it out, and don't mind the hard work, CSRs often become Asst. Mgrs, and Asst's can make Store Manager, sometimes within a year. Although CSRs and assistants make very little, manager salaries are decent.

ConsEveryone is part-time except managers and first assistants. Most employees make minimum wage or a tiny bit more. Employees in lower volume stores are expected to stock shelves, do set changes, or other duties while also running register. Often only one employee is in store, making decent customer service almost impossible. If it is a busy day at all, the 2-4 U-boats of stock you needed to get thrown will sit there, and there is no payroll to get extra help, which can put the whole week behind. Or, since the manager is salary, usually means the manager works even more hours than normal to get it done. As a manager, the company requires you work 52 hours/week. In reality, most worked 60+, just to make payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink what you are expecting your people to get done with minimal staff. I understand that this is a bargain store, and you need to watch costs, but there is a reason for the high turn-over...the associates are being run into the ground.

My customers are great to work with.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Flint, MI

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsReally helped me to create customer satisfaction.

ConsUnloading truck every week piece by piece.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt mcdonalds the owner wanted me to move up as soon as I turn eighteen. And at Family Dollar I was promoted right after my three months of working there hired in as a manager.

I enjoyed working with the people and upper Management

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Rayville, LA

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsThey allow your family to come first, and as long as you provide notice, will work around schedules as needed

Conssometimes the amount of hours available each week varies based on sales, so some weeks a full fourty hours can not be promised

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 464 reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.