Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance depending on hours and department"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The customers are great, some come in 2-4 times a day and love to talk with you"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance could also be improved upon"
    in 16 reviews
  • "You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

working at family dollar the pros and cons

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Ellisville, MS

Prosgood pay and good benefits with chance for advancement

Consyou never from one day to the next if you will have a job. they are well known to come in and fire the whole store

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to review the team better and stop firing everyone in store. this is a terrible practice that you do .

Overall, a good retail operation

ProsThe company, large as it is, does pay attention to the individual stores through the district and regional managers. Follow through isn't always quick or complete, but they do try harder than some comparable retail stores.

ConsThe in-store music CD is horrible, and employees have to listen to it all day long. No employee discount, but this is offset by discount coupons offered every once in awhile. Non-management staff make minimum wages which makes it hard to attract quality people for few hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize there are differences, vast differences, between your rural stores and urban stores. There is also a difference in the merchandise needs from region to region of the country. Regions with true winters could do with more winter clothes, auto products, and outdoor tools (shovels, etc) than popsicles.

store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

Prosgood experience with large company. good pay

Constoo much work and not enough help.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what it is

ProsGreat place to work and grow

ConsMiscommunication between departments which affects progress

Overworked, underpaid.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Lubbock, TX

ProsCulture is changing to simplify work with schematics, set changes. This company has potential, but is not there yet. There is lots of room for advancement, since the stress and long hours means most managers don't make it over a year or two. This company likes to promote from within, so if you stick it out, and don't mind the hard work, CSRs often become Asst. Mgrs, and Asst's can make Store Manager, sometimes within a year. Although CSRs and assistants make very little, manager salaries are decent.

ConsEveryone is part-time except managers and first assistants. Most employees make minimum wage or a tiny bit more. Employees in lower volume stores are expected to stock shelves, do set changes, or other duties while also running register. Often only one employee is in store, making decent customer service almost impossible. If it is a busy day at all, the 2-4 U-boats of stock you needed to get thrown will sit there, and there is no payroll to get extra help, which can put the whole week behind. Or, since the manager is salary, usually means the manager works even more hours than normal to get it done. As a manager, the company requires you work 52 hours/week. In reality, most worked 60+, just to make payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink what you are expecting your people to get done with minimal staff. I understand that this is a bargain store, and you need to watch costs, but there is a reason for the high turn-over...the associates are being run into the ground.

My customers are great to work with.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Flint, MI

ProsReally helped me to create customer satisfaction.

ConsUnloading truck every week piece by piece.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt mcdonalds the owner wanted me to move up as soon as I turn eighteen. And at Family Dollar I was promoted right after my three months of working there hired in as a manager.

I enjoyed working with the people and upper Management

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Rayville, LA

ProsThey allow your family to come first, and as long as you provide notice, will work around schedules as needed

Conssometimes the amount of hours available each week varies based on sales, so some weeks a full fourty hours can not be promised

Great company

Replenishment Buyer (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsThe company has a very warm and friendly work environment. The management team, especially the vice presidents and divisional vice presidents are very helpful and available to help employees troubleshoot issues. The work can range from routine to challenging and you have a sense that you are making a difference in your area. Your co-workers are very helpful and willing to help when you are challenged. The company does a great job of offering family friendly events and values the employee through yearly service awards and holiday appreciation dinners.

ConsThe pay structure is significantly lower in some of the areas than the comparable retail competitors, both in the town and nationally. There is not a lot of advancement for the employees to move across departments and many employees are looking for other positions. Senior management is unaware of the characteristics of their shoppers and does not understand the struggles they go through.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest heavily in your employees and develop talent better to promote the candidates that work for you

The people I worked with felt like my family

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Warren, OH

ProsI enjoyed people, could smile, talk to customer , new all the other manager, went places with them, We helped each other when they needed cashier.

ConsUnloaded truck in the snow, Sometimes we had no help in the store.

Career Assessment

Performance Manager (Former Employee)
    Wickliffe, OH

ProsNew Information Technology and new Operation Process

ConsStill growing in the retail market

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve Store Team Members in Transition growth

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 542 reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.