Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments(in 19 reviews)

• You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management(in 31 reviews)

challenging and exciting, learning experience everyday

Store Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, IL

Proscorporate would already planogram your entire store and give you the supplies to do it with the power to innovate if you have to.

Consmost of the time working by yourself

great store and room for advancment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshours, frequent raises and time off are all based on your length of employment there after 6 months you can choose either to have a bonus or to take time off

Conssome locations are harder to deal with others based on theft in the area or internal theft in the store, shrinkage in store also plays a part on how long you are employed and raises

Advice to Senior Managementnot much advice to give they run a good company, the only thing would be to better choose employees that would be better for the positions that they are filling.

Terrible company to work for!!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsOk for a student to work as an associate to make a little extra money to get by while going to school.

ConsFor management you work with a skeleton crew and the busier store don't get much more if any help then the slower stores. I ran the busiest store in the district and was given only a few more hours then the worst store which did less then half the business and was expected to have store conditions jus as good as the slower store.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your busier stores have the amount of help that is needed to run a good store don't try and make yourself look like u know how to save so much money as a district manager.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Feel Like a Caged Animal

Buyer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe people that I work with are wonderful.

ConsThe benefits are less than subpar. There is not much upward mobility unless you play into the company politics. Senior managment has poor judgment and sense of direction. Senior management also micromanages every process and every decision made down to how much product is ordered. The work/life balance is so terrible that I have to take a vacation day to work a half day. There is so much work to do that working from home one day a year is looked down upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire to do their jobs.

So-so

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsConvenience to home, rotating employee discounts

ConsUrban environment, less than staff paraprofessional demeanor

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better

Alright

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Shelby, NC

ProsGain clerical experience working with funds

ConsLow pay, long hours, and a lot of stock

This has not been a great experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Whitesboro, TX

ProsThere aren't any really. Best of luck.

ConsTraining is throwing you on a register showing it to you once and leaving you to it. figure out what to do on the down time or hunt them down if they aren't in front. Their "intercom system" is basically a tiny silver bell so when those customer start complaining you better be ringing it as loud as you can.The machines are old and particularly unresponsive. They freeze regularly, the scanners tend to not scan items but beep like they did anyway, the check reader on the cashiers machine rarely works. Workers are not paid fairly for the amount of work they do (and therefor stop working hard at all). Hours constantly change. You cannot plan a week out because you never know when there'll be a budget cut or someone will be fed up and quit. You are Not paid for any holiday other than Christmas, and then you get time and a half. You get double time though if you are full time. You have to be an extremely good multitask-er. If you are an assistant you not only need to stock, assist the cashier, face and recover the store, you need to be the cashier. There is too much overstock. It's not possible to fully work out one truck before you receive another. The work load between team members is very uneven, and managers seem to have no interest in evening it out. So long as they're not forced to lift a finger everything is just fine....

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade machinery. Properly train employees (Hands on training). Give paid holidays, Fix the truck system. Pay your employees fairly. There is no reason why (as an assistant manager) I should be getting less then the minimum pay rate. Give the stores enough money so they can pay their workers fairly. Even go so far as to pay a "living wage". I cannot even afford to pay for a car to get to work...

Horrible Company

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Riverdale, GA

ProsMy paycheck I loved my co workers and the customers where ok

Cons14 hour days customers rude store managment horrible district no help in store alone no time for personal life

Advice to Senior ManagementY'all should be ashamed of your self

Family Dollar is trying to kill their managers

Store Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosdecent pay for managers, good insurance

Cons6 day, 52+ hour work week, only 2 paid holidays. Insufficient payroll to run Your store correctly. Hourly employees can't budget because payroll greatly varies from week to week. Outdated equipment . Too much inventory in stores,.Dangerous environment because of low payroll ( You work alone most of the day in horrible neighborhoods).

Advice to Senior ManagementWould You want Your wives and daughters want to work in one of Your stores? Why do we have to work under the conditions You subject us to? I think everybody at corporate level should have to work at one of the stores for a week under the same conditions we endure! Maybe things would change? Contrary to Your believe we are human beings and deserve some dignity! There is a reason this company is enormous turnover!

Like being in a narcissistic marriage

Store Manager (Former Employee) Upper Sandusky, OH

ProsQuick advancement learning tool job security

ConsWork hours, no breaks, work load, no integrity

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething dire needs to happen to make this an employee friendly company. Slaves to the grind doesn't equal good results.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!