Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Reset
2.5
Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Most areas support work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Providing great customer service everyday (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if on salary (in 21 reviews)

• upper management works at big publically-traded companies (in 42 reviews)

1. A decent place to work...

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florissant, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florissant, MO

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Mainly the experience you get along with the opportunity to grow. It's possible to reach upper management status with the right amount of dedication.

Cons

Mainly the assistant manager pay. It could be a lot better than it is. I think if the pay were better, there wouldn't be suck a high turnover rate. From my understanding though, the pay of a Store Manager is much more sufficient.

Advice to Management

Mainly just stay focused on the team and help us get where we want to be. A bit of advice would be possibly getting a higher budget in the stores. There is so much stuff that needs to get done, but there is a very limited budget to work with.

Family Dollar not perfect but much better than most

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alma, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alma, MI

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Job security is excellent in our economy . Medical insurance choices vary, you get to choose the amount of coverage you think you need. Includes dental, with choices in amount of coverage and also optical. Doctors for the medical plan are available locally. Also available is 401K with company match and the usual options to choose risk. Stock options are available to full time employees. Stocks are not a fast growth, but a steady secure investment. Company is a little behind in the technical area in some stores, but new stores are cutting edge technically. Older stores receive the improvements at a steady rate, without the company going into a lot of debt. The company is essentially a debt free company so the security there is excellent as long as stores show a profit. They like to promote within the company rather than from outside, so once you have your foot in the door, the possibilities are endless. They have anonymous call in for employees that are not getting results at the store level. An award program for time worked. Several contests through the year to motivate employees with excellent compensation upon winning. On line applications are available with info regarding the company also. Communication from the upper levels is steady and informative. Several programs in place to make the job easier, and consistant improvements to them. Continually improving workplace tools to make job easier. Program for employees hit with natural disasters to receive assistance. Shor tem and long term disability available with sick days available to store mangers.

Cons

Lack of payroll is the biggest issue in most of the stores. But is necessary to keep costs down. All of the pluses of working for Family Dollar can disappear depending on your District Manager and further up the chain of command. The manager, employees etc. will make or break the store. This is going to be a problem anywhere you deal with people. Vacations are lost if not used within that year. Technolgy needs to catch up.

Advice to Management

Need to look at the areas that need the technology the most rather than just new stores, and advance at a faster rate improving older store capabilities. Get feedback from managers of the stores as to what their area and their store needs as far as technology is concerned. Quit going by what the chamber of commerce rates the crime rate. They have a tendency to make it look nicer than what it is to encourage people and businesses to move into the area.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Director in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere, minimal politics and ability to have fun at work.

Cons

Retail benefits, silo between business units

Like Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Relaxed environment Everyone's friendly Numerous opportunities for training Low turnover in corporate

Cons

Parking Lack of telecommuting opportunities Need an onsite cafeteria that sells hot food

6. thhis has been a experience for me

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

open communcation, bouns,customer service low price

Cons

too low of pay for the job

7. educational

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kinder, LA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kinder, LA

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Freedom to learn new skills,

Cons

Sometimes balancing payroll with duties that need to be completed is a challenge but with the right crew it is possible

Advice to Management

Listen to your competent employees, ask your customers for direct feedback, you tell us to push the survey but I never see the number on the bottom of our receipts. When we have extra projects to complete a little extra payroll would help and not put customer service at risk

8. I need motivators & responsible employees to keep me going.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To invest. And learn while time goes..

Cons

The company doesnt have a good training opportunity. They should make more classes, trainings, especially for the assistant manager, and the managers. And review what needs to be done from monday to sunday.

Advice to Management

Never demand an employee, and be fair.

9. Company is growing and places great emphasis on employee interactions and input.

Current Employee - Repack Order Filler in Marianna, FL
    Current Employee - Repack Order Filler in Marianna, FL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to earn more based on production. The company is military friendly. There is room for growth throughout the corporation.

Cons

Production employees have a fluctuating work schedule

A great place to work... if you truly want to work and excel!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Flexibility, Growing Company, Support from Superiors. It is always fun walking into work each day especially when you've taken the time to develop your team and know they can do all in your absence.

Cons

Too much of a focus on metrics. Life is not perfect and some of the expectations for shrink, truck unload times, etc. are unrealistic given the many number of variables that come into play every day in store operations.

Advice to Management

Get to know all your employees and show them you respect the work we all are doing. Do not be afraid to spruce up the stores a little bit - it would go a long way.

11. With ambition and hard work there are alot of opportunities, working with Family Dollar has made me very proud of myself

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seagoville, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seagoville, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*The everyday customers *Opportunities *Stability, I really believe even in a recession Family Dollar will still be operating.

Cons

*Working later takes some adjusting but will be worth it in the long run.

Advice to Management

Just because the employee might be younger still listen to their ideas. It usually makes it easier.

Showing 997 of 1,006 reviews