Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Very professional when it comes down to customer service"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Start at a good pay, its a very nice concept, very quick, Flexible schedule"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "also there is no employee discount and full time people only get TWO holidays per year"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Horrible upper management who actually treats their employees with no value"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not enough hours to run the store

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Boise, ID

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsMMMM at this point do not have anything good to say about them

ConsManagers are required to work 6 days a week for low pay. when you take the salary and divide the amount of hours worked.. you make much less than the hourly employees. scheduled 52 but worked 70-80 normally. NO FAMILY LIFE. YOUR life is at the store. Even the biggest retailer in the world treats it's managers better.

Advice to Senior Managementgive the stores more hours to run the stores and give the store manager at least every other weekend off. We are not slaves.

UNorganized

Store Clerk (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsMoving up can be fairly fast.

ConsThe accusation of theft happening internally is stressed more than the external.
 Biased Assistant and Store Managers.
No consideration for the Employees.
Empolyee are having to act like security even if Loss Prevention is present.
Last minute change in Holiday hours overtime pay change without notice.
Tampering with Hours.
Employees are not given any safety from violent customers.
Uninformed write-ups
Involuntary search made without your knowledge. ( Searching your bags and dumping them out and leaving it)
Borderline violation of Labor laws.
No consideration of camera placement to prevent thef of merchandise.
loop holes in return polices.
Horrible service when needing a in store repair.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter leadership skills
Learning to say "no"
Working on Team building
Showing Honesty
Better organization
Think more about the store
Respect for Associate

Terrible expierence

Csa (Former Employee)
Chester, PA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time for less than a year

Prosjob security, constant change, simple task

Consterrible pay, no growth, bad management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers who are competent and or promote competent people

Two weeks Notice

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Summerville, SC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best thing is my employees and my customers. The customers are so upset they have started a petition to ban the store when me and my crew leave

ConsI have 4 kids I've been with the company almost 3 years and I'm on District Manager # 4. I've never received a P.I.P. never had loss prevention in my store never had high shrink no customer complaints and my store is the #1 store out of a district of 22 stores and we now have a new DM who thinks she's gonna change all of that by writing me up twice in one day and telling my employees that in her opinion the whole crew needs to go away hate to tell her that the customers disagree with her 100% . But Family Dollar is gonna loose a great crew and a lot of money on her behalf. We know that it only take 3 write ups before termination I will not be disgraced!

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify who protects team members from unfair members of upper management when they have a hidden agenda. Y'all have the arbitration agreement to protect y'all from us because y'all know that y'all are an unfair company. Who protects the ones who are really making y'all money because without us y'all are nothing!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsOpening new stores so opportunity for growth

ConsTerrible Leadership at all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Loss Prevention Managers and not depend on your District and Area Operations Managers to be LP

Family Dollar should be your very last option

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a paycheck. The first thing to do after you get your first pay, is to start looking for another job if you are smart.

ConsExpect to work 65-75 hours a week as a Store Manager. New people are not trained. Very high turnover which weakens a company that could be and should be much stronger. Treat your managers as People, not machines.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe extremely high management turnover weakens the company. It does not have to be that way.

Stressful

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Woodbury, NJ

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGetting paid every friday and the friendly coworkers

Consstocking and the way the managers treat you

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

Prospay ok. and the customers are great.

ConsStore Manager needs to work on there people skills. employees are treated like third class workers. if treat your employees like third class what makes you think there going to produce for you. It's not all about POWER TRIPPING on people or CONTROL.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire store managers that understand lead by example and what it means. if the managers don't follow company policy how are you going to get the other employees to follow it.

Worst Company Ever

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsSOME of the employees that work there are very hard workers just like I was and that was a pro that they were willing to do anything it took to try and keep up with the disorganization and poor work environment.

ConsPoor payroll, Not enough security or payroll to catch shoplifters and if your inventory is bad they automatically think you weren't trying to stop shoplifters, put untrained managers in a store to run it, district managers NEVER come and help make things better..i.e. when you NEED more security in a store that shrinks out EVERY year and you BEG for more payroll or security to help solve the inventory problems along with they make you do that as well as the ONLY assistant or store manager in the store for 4-6 HOURS straight ALONE.. not a safe environment for employees. As well as catching all of the shoplifters, ringing up all the customers, providing GREAT customer service and putting out freight all at the same time for the MAJORITY of the shift.. way too much work overload on managers as well as the blame getting put on the WHOLE staff for the THIRD year in a row that the store shrinks out--instead of CHANGING things, they discharge the WHOLE staff AGAIN. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE!

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to cover yourself, try helping to SOLVE the situation before it gets out of hand. MORE PAYROLL, MORE SECURITY. QUIT BEING CHEAP!

Worst.Job.Ever.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsFor employees? not much. Credit family dollar for one thing though. They are making stockholders some money at the moment. Hint:Sell your family dollar stock now before walmart express moves in and pulverizes them

ConsFamily Dollar is really a simple concept. They sell crap merchandise in lower income areas and do so in a store run by a skeleton crew making no money. The concept works well in rural areas or small towns. When they brilliantly put stores in urban areas and try to run stores within the same criteria it's not only unpleasant, but it's dangerous. Employees in these urban stores are overworked, underpaid, and constantly at risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more realistic plan for running urban stores. Even pumping in another 40 hours a week in payroll to these stores would reduce shrink and increase production. Given that you slave drivers pay minimum wage, those 40 hours would cost you $300 in payroll and would probably save you that much in shrink even without the added productivity, Of course upper management doesn't care. They are content to watch their stores in these areas get robbed at gunpoint constantly. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but I am looking forward to the multi million dollar lawsuit that will be filed against this disgrace of a company when their apathy and negligence leads to an employee injury or death

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 467 reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.