Family Dollar Stores

Updated August 19, 2014

2.4

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

educational

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Kinder, LA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kinder, LA

Pros

Freedom to learn new skills,

Cons

Sometimes balancing payroll with duties that need to be completed is a challenge but with the right crew it is possible

Listen to your competent employees, ask your customers for direct feedback, you tell us to push the survey but I never see the number on the bottom of our receipts. When we have extra projects to complete a little extra payroll would help and not put customer service at risk

thhis has been a experience for me

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

open communcation, bouns,customer service low price

Cons

too low of pay for the job

Like Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Pros

Relaxed environment
    Everyone's friendly
    Numerous opportunities for training
    Low turnover in corporate

Cons

Parking
    Lack of telecommuting opportunities
    Need an onsite cafeteria that sells hot food

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Director  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere, minimal politics and ability to have fun at work.

Cons

Retail benefits, silo between business units

very family oriented family dollar store

Pros

it is very easy and you can live off of it. also it very very ey very very very easy

Cons

the pay is not good and you work long hours but it a very repeptitive job and if you like it do it

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Enjoyable place to work. Love working with public --even if some are crabby.

Cons

Truck day is very hard sometimes and would llike a little more week end time with family.
    I get flustrated when others dont carry their wieght and want you to do their job and they sit on duff and get paid for it

Need to listen to the low people on the totem pole. They have good ideas that can imporve business for the store. Just cause it looks good on paper dont mean it is. How about giving out more insentives. Annual Bonus for assistant managers would be nice. (Cash money not just store credit) Without us managers would be nothing

Working With Great people.

Pros

People, Customers, Benefits, Enough time off ,and on.

Cons

Shoplifters...focus on customers more, not a lot of time to put freight out.

I don't really have any advice.

Family Dollar not perfect but much better than most

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Alma, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alma, MI

Pros

Job security is excellent in our economy . Medical insurance choices vary, you get to choose the amount of coverage you think you need. Includes dental, with choices in amount of coverage and also optical. Doctors for the medical plan are available locally. Also available is 401K with company match and the usual options to choose risk. Stock options are available to full time employees. Stocks are not a fast growth, but a steady secure investment. Company is a little behind in the technical area in some stores, but new stores are cutting edge technically. Older stores receive the improvements at a steady rate, without the company going into a lot of debt. The company is essentially a debt free company so the security there is excellent as long as stores show a profit. They like to promote within the company rather than from outside, so once you have your foot in the door, the possibilities are endless. They have anonymous call in for employees that are not getting results at the store level. An award program for time worked. Several contests through the year to motivate employees with excellent compensation upon winning. On line applications are available with info regarding the company also. Communication from the upper levels is steady and informative. Several programs in place to make the
    job easier, and consistant improvements to them. Continually improving workplace tools to make job easier. Program for employees hit with natural disasters to receive assistance. Shor tem and long term disability available with sick days available to store mangers.

Cons

Lack of payroll is the biggest issue in most of the stores. But is necessary to keep costs down. All of the pluses of working for Family Dollar can disappear depending on your District Manager and further up the chain of command. The manager, employees etc. will make or break the store. This is going to be a problem anywhere you deal with people. Vacations are lost if not used within that year. Technolgy needs to catch up.

Need to look at the areas that need the technology the most rather than just new stores, and advance at a faster rate improving older store capabilities. Get feedback from managers of the stores as to what their area and their store needs
    as far as technology is concerned. Quit going by what the chamber of commerce rates the crime rate. They have a tendency to make it look nicer than what it is to encourage people and businesses to move into the area.

A decent place to work...

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Florissant, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florissant, MO

Pros

Mainly the experience you get along with the opportunity to grow. It's possible to reach upper management status with the right amount of dedication.

Cons

Mainly the assistant manager pay. It could be a lot better than it is. I think if the pay were better, there wouldn't be suck a high turnover rate. From my understanding though, the pay of a Store Manager is much more sufficient.

Mainly just stay focused on the team and help us get where we want to be. A bit of advice would be possibly getting a higher budget in the stores. There is so much stuff that needs to get done, but there is a very limited budget to work with.

Family Dollar is What you Make of It...

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Salary, being able to write your own schedule, creating meaningful relationships with your staff and customers, gaining experience in many aspects of retail - inventory management, human resources, asset protection, etc. The opportunity to make decisions for your store whether it be hiring, merchandising, etc. is wonderful and really makes you feel successful at the end of the day.

Cons

The company does not put the focus on or allocate resources for maintenance upkeep in stores. There is too much of a battle to get things fixed. Otherwise, I have no complaints. Payroll is tight, sure, but if you take the time to build the right team and create a fun working environment then it is fine. When I took my store over sure I put in several 60-70 hour weeks to get the store up to snuff and build my team. Today, I never work over 52 hours a week and do it in 5 days. It is all about how you write the schedule, maximize your time in the building, and stop complaining about the work that needs to be done and just do it.

Take more time to really get to know and invest in your store teams. Also, put yourself in the customer's shoes and take a look at what many of the physical conditions of our stores look like. It is not pretty. Invest in regular store maintenance and take care of the stores we have before opening any new stores. Hopefully these things will change once Dollar Tree comes in.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!