Family Dollar Stores

Updated December 16, 2014
2.3

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Fast-paced job, able to interact one on one with customers to provide excellent customer service (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management is not in touch with reality in daily store operational challenges (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Former Employee - Closing Cashier in Sanger, TX
    Former Employee - Closing Cashier in Sanger, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Decent days off. I learned a great deal about what I need in a work environment and what it is to be a professional.

Cons

Horrible management that was biased against anyone who was not a part of their religious belief system. Ending pay was $7.41. How in the world does that weird amount happen?
    Management would not give proper direction as to what tasks they wanted done and how and then would discipline employee for that.

Hire some competent managers with some experience and who can respect their employees professionally. Personal relationships do not matter. It's not a popularity contest at work or 'My religion is better than yours' environment. It should be professional.

The most unprofessional company that I have ever worked for...

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

To have a job, that's about it

Cons

Since I have starting working there, the hours of the store payroll and personally have decreased. The amount of work has increased. Its a sweat shop. I have a business degree and a masters degree yet they will not promote me to store manager, its unbelievable. I have brought up many concerns regarding employee treatment and firmly believe that I have been blackballed because of it. Why would they not promote me? I have never missed a day always on time, get the most work done in the most organized way, yet they keep giving the store manager position to less qualified people who end up getting fired anyway. UNBELIEVABLE IGNORANCE?JEALOUSY

promote the people who deserve it, not the people who brown nose you the best

Not good at all!

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Can't actually think of any "pros" that differentiate it from any other retail job.

Cons

Very low wages. Physical demands. NO EMPLOYEE discount. (First retail experience that doesn't offer discount) Badly designed computer system that still relies on far too much paperwork that could easily be done by an updated OS.

As an assistant store manager I would tell the company; Pay your employees a better wage to instill some loyalty. Instead of only negative interaction with store manager, an occasional pat on the back would go a long way!
    I have only been with the company a short while, but am already looking for other work. This is a company I would NOT RECCOMEND to anyone as a place to work. Even in today's hard times, I would say pass this one by and the next job will probably be much MUCH better!

Overworked and way underpaid

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

The people are nice most times if your nice in return the pay was bad for the amount of work they want you to do. and easy to move up

Cons

The bad part i did not like was to many micro managers, you are sometimes expected to put the company first and depending on the store the work life balance is horrible

One of the worst jobs ever

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bossier City, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bossier City, LA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Low Pay, No help, Dangerous. People treated like nothing. No work-life balance for management. Upper management has little concern for workers. Open very late and all holidays.

You may get better results if you become concerned about your employees.

Don't work for this company

Former Employee - Stocking in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Stocking in Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

there are on pros, this company sucks.

Cons

Management is lazy and will have you doing all the work while they walk around on their phones. I had to work the cash register and stock the store, which made it hard for me to get anything done. They have the nerves to get mad when you dont get something finished because you are running back and forward to the cash register.

Stop being cheap and hire more team members

Worst job that I have ever had

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Pierce, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Pierce, FL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There wasn't a single pro to working there

Cons

The schedule changed almost daily, was always informed I was late because nobody told me it had changed. NONE of the workers did anything and the manager was a useless idiot. She smoked almost every second and placed blame on everyone else. I HATED this job so much I quit.

Take some time to seriously consider who you let run your company. My manager was a waste of space and so were my other co workers, it was a joke. wasn't even worth the 7 dollars an hour.

Horrible

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Was close to my home

Cons

Didn't get enough hours shifts were horrible

Worst job I ever had!

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Fast-paced job, able to interact one on one with customers to provide excellent customer service.

Cons

The company works with a skeleton crew making it impossible to complete daily tasks.

Provide store managers with more hours to staff stores adequately.

not really good

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

no pay roll thats why workin so much and balancing at paresnal life

Cons

i am not satisfyed with faniffits and after work hear no so much persnel life

nothig for right now