Family Dollar Stores

Updated December 16, 2014
2.3

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Fast-paced job, able to interact one on one with customers to provide excellent customer service (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management is not in touch with reality in daily store operational challenges (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

very family oriented family dollar store

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

it is very easy and you can live off of it. also it very very ey very very very easy

Cons

the pay is not good and you work long hours but it a very repeptitive job and if you like it do it

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Enjoyable place to work. Love working with public --even if some are crabby.

Cons

Truck day is very hard sometimes and would llike a little more week end time with family.
    I get flustrated when others dont carry their wieght and want you to do their job and they sit on duff and get paid for it

Need to listen to the low people on the totem pole. They have good ideas that can imporve business for the store. Just cause it looks good on paper dont mean it is. How about giving out more insentives. Annual Bonus for assistant managers would be nice. (Cash money not just store credit) Without us managers would be nothing

Working With Great people.

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

People, Customers, Benefits, Enough time off ,and on.

Cons

Shoplifters...focus on customers more, not a lot of time to put freight out.

I don't really have any advice.

Family Dollar not perfect but much better than most

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alma, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alma, MI

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Job security is excellent in our economy . Medical insurance choices vary, you get to choose the amount of coverage you think you need. Includes dental, with choices in amount of coverage and also optical. Doctors for the medical plan are available locally. Also available is 401K with company match and the usual options to choose risk. Stock options are available to full time employees. Stocks are not a fast growth, but a steady secure investment. Company is a little behind in the technical area in some stores, but new stores are cutting edge technically. Older stores receive the improvements at a steady rate, without the company going into a lot of debt. The company is essentially a debt free company so the security there is excellent as long as stores show a profit. They like to promote within the company rather than from outside, so once you have your foot in the door, the possibilities are endless. They have anonymous call in for employees that are not getting results at the store level. An award program for time worked. Several contests through the year to motivate employees with excellent compensation upon winning. On line applications are available with info regarding the company also. Communication from the upper levels is steady and informative. Several programs in place to make the
    job easier, and consistant improvements to them. Continually improving workplace tools to make job easier. Program for employees hit with natural disasters to receive assistance. Shor tem and long term disability available with sick days available to store mangers.

Cons

Lack of payroll is the biggest issue in most of the stores. But is necessary to keep costs down. All of the pluses of working for Family Dollar can disappear depending on your District Manager and further up the chain of command. The manager, employees etc. will make or break the store. This is going to be a problem anywhere you deal with people. Vacations are lost if not used within that year. Technolgy needs to catch up.

Need to look at the areas that need the technology the most rather than just new stores, and advance at a faster rate improving older store capabilities. Get feedback from managers of the stores as to what their area and their store needs
    as far as technology is concerned. Quit going by what the chamber of commerce rates the crime rate. They have a tendency to make it look nicer than what it is to encourage people and businesses to move into the area.

A decent place to work...

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florissant, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florissant, MO

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Mainly the experience you get along with the opportunity to grow. It's possible to reach upper management status with the right amount of dedication.

Cons

Mainly the assistant manager pay. It could be a lot better than it is. I think if the pay were better, there wouldn't be suck a high turnover rate. From my understanding though, the pay of a Store Manager is much more sufficient.

Mainly just stay focused on the team and help us get where we want to be. A bit of advice would be possibly getting a higher budget in the stores. There is so much stuff that needs to get done, but there is a very limited budget to work with.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

You learn multitasking skills. It was a satisfactory first job and gives you an outlook of what type of activities could be in other sale departments.

Cons

It can be overwhelming sometimes. Every now and then a costumer will be difficult to work with.

great experience

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

they were always willing to work around my schedule

Cons

a lot of people kept quitting so i always got called in last minute

more training time

Up to date Review of Kamas Store.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kamas, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kamas, UT

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We have friendly co workers and a fast passed fun environment to work in. Customers always seem to be pleased with our work and we seem to work together as a team.

Cons

As an sales associate I am only capable of part time. My opinion on this would be to raise the part timers to full time if needed. As I have to maintain two jobs to support my family, I'd love the stability the company would bring to my family if I could only work for them and full time.

Keep doing what they are doing. Involve each other in sales goals and maintain the store daily. Also, keep up the good job with the customers!!!

About Family Dollar

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will give you good hours.

Cons

You have to stand for long periods of time

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful resources. Growth in the is a plus. Training and mentoring is always a plus.

Cons

The pay is not great. There is not enough people working on a shift.

Family Dollar Stores Photos