Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.4

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Family Dollar was the worst experience of my life.

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

semi decent customers
    located almost everywhere
    can do your shopping while at work

Cons

terrible management
    corporate has no clue what they're doing
    poor hiring and training

fire everyone you have and start from scratch

Family Dollar Store Manager going into year three...

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A store manager really is given a wide latitude to be creative in merchandising and develops a great rapport with their SMALL staff and LARGE customer base.

Cons

As a store manager in the Chicago market, we are greatly hampered. The DM's are given great power to cut and add labor dollars when he or she feels...The store website will post we have certain available dollars to spend on payroll. Over 90% of the time, the amount the DM gives us is 15-20% BELOW said company number. This MOST often requires the store manager to work well beyond your salaried expectations (52hrs) to get stores looking "acceptable".
    It is very frustrating to the store managers who care what their stores look like...
    The quality of the store often comes at the expense of the store manager working 10-20 hrs for "free"..aka above and beyond our salaried requirements.

Please form some sort of watch committee/computer program that compares what the company "allows" store managers to spend as opposed to what is actually spent. If it is below a certain threshold percentage, LOOK INTO IT.
    Some district managers are very dirty with what they CAP stores payroll spending at.
    Store manager's raises are partially based on store conditions and if payroll is being held back...this company's success is currently being built on the back's of free labor.....

It was very interesting...

Former Employee - Crew  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Crew in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice starting pay and easy going work place

Cons

Not enough crew to work hrs plus it's extra boring

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Many People Work Here For Long

Former Employee - Web Designer  in  Matthews, NC
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Matthews, NC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice and welcoming environment at the corporate office, fun and engaging events during the workday to break up the normal routine, enjoyed the sample sales when merchandise was available for purchase extremely marked down.

Cons

Extremely unorganized departments, lots of turnover as far as the employees are concerned. In the short time that I worked there (1 year) probably 1/3 of the department I worked in left, and more like 2/3 since then from what I've heard. Contract employees were not treated the same as permanent employees, and were left out of many events, perks, treats, etc.

Talk to your employees. Corporate levels are not social classes. Pay attention to who is actually working and who is socializing all day on the company's dime.

Great place to begin a career, but not for the long term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Matthews, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work for this company.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow unless you are well liked by the hiring manager. Compensation is severely lacking in comparison to other similar job roles. Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments. Technology in the corporate office and the stores is far behind other retailers and offices. Communication between departments is difficult and can make it challenging to solve issues.

Pay your people what they are worth and you might keep them.

Gross Inconsistencies

Current Employee - Secretary Junior
    Current Employee - Secretary Junior

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Requests for time off in the regional office are never denied, even during the holidays. I've always taken black Friday off without so much as a blink from my boss. Lots of alone time, typically, as they travel 3+ days a week. Very casual dress code out in the field unless you have visitors.

Cons

The pay from secretary to secretary varies ridiculously - some make $14 an hour, some make $18. I've trained admins who make substantially more than me and received raises within a couple of months from their start dates; and it's not because of their experience or skills. I am continuously mentoring admins on a daily basis.

Hostile work environment. Upper management holds grudges. If you make one mistake or if one thing goes wrong at an event you planned, you will never ever live it down. They will lord it over you and use it as their standard of your ability until you quit or they die.

Favoritism runs rampant. If left to their own devices, managers may grade you on how well they like you or how well their peers/friends like you. No one has your back. If someone perceives something you did as a mistake, they won't ask you about it, they'll go right over your head and convince your manager that you have no clue what you're doing, and nothing you say, no proof of anything will help you. You will always be undermined.

No advancement potential if you're out in the field. If you're a secretary, you're only way to move up is to relocate to the home office in North Carolina.

Learn to trust your assistants more. Not every person on the planet is evil or has ulterior motives. Give decent raises and merit raises, too, not just what the absolute bare minimum is. If you have no loyalty to me, I have none to you.

work like a dog without the pay or reconnition

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Euless, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

meet alot of nice people you come to care for on a daily basis. not realy hard job.

Cons

don't get raises baste on job personal job performances. haven't had a raise in 3years do to store being in high volume but also high theift but customer. aircondition doesn't work in most stores so temps are controled by corp. which is in n.carolina so it is always when it 75 or higher closer to 85 even when its over 100 outside.

put ast. managers on bonus plan and make salary with 45hr work weeks. right now we get no bonus and some weeks we don't even get 32-35hrs and at 8.25-9.00 an hour you can't live on this much less feed your family.

Family Dollar, concerned with $ not your FAMILY

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros

Pay was good for management. Company did believe in promoting within.

Cons

Where shall I begin. They tell you a minimum of 52 hours but you usually work minimum of 60 if you're lucky.

good starter career

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co Workers & friends I met over the time I was there.

Cons

I thought it was a good company who cared about their employees until the 8th year when they handled an investigation totally wrong with me. Made me believe they didn't have my back. Luckily I found another job with a way better company

A Compelling Place to Work, Shop, and Invest ... Would Be a Great Change for Family Dollar

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros

Some internal growth opportunities, though these have dried up in some departments as corporate growth has slowed. Decent benefits.

Cons

Horrible corporate office environment reflects the company's overall philosophy - if it's only partly broken, move pieces around and pretend it's shiny and new. I've worked in a lot of environments and almost none of them were fancy, but the physical condition of the larger of the corporate offices is just pathetic: badly lit, bare carpet, dirty walls, few conference rooms (which are hoarded like gold), small, scarce, and dirty bathrooms, etc. Folks who work in this building get the message right away - you are not valued.

Further, constant reorganization and position shuffling (at least every 6 months) greatly reduces employee incentive to invest personal capital into even high-value projects. Constant attrition in senior positions exacerbates this issue. The result is a culture of avoidance, where new initiatives get bodded down in the muck of old orphaned projects, which of course are now vital to operations and have no budget for remediation (assuming anyone would actually stick his or her neck out to own the effort).

Stop paying lip service to the idea that corporate employees are important and actually invest in them. It may mean selling and going private first so that Wall Street doesn't stand in the way. That approach seems to have worked pretty well for Dollar General, since they now are the unquestioned leader in this segment.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!