Family Health Centers of San Diego

Be The First To
Add Photos

Family Health Centers of San Diego CEO Fran Butler-Cohen

Fran Butler-Cohen

A mission driven organization with a healthy respect for the bottom line.

Support Services (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFamily Health Centers truly cares about the mission and the people they serve. They look out for the needs of the patients and find ways to meet that need. But, they also understand that they have to maintain a sound financial footing if they want to stay in business, or better yet, expand their services to care for more people.

ConsIt is a passionate team that works very hard to meet their mission. This is not a job for a slacker or someone looking for a easy 9-5 place. But, if you are willing to work hard, you can go home at night knowing that you have helped a lot of families.

Great experience for college graduate!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe majority of the people who work here are hard-working team players and it's easy to make lifelong friends here. I did not use the health benefits, but heard that they were comparable to those offered by Sharp or Kaiser. Time-off accrual is at a decent rate. Company values motivate employees to continue growing within the company.

ConsCompensation is generally much lower than other employers within San Diego county, but this is expected since it is a non-profit organization. Some members of management can be very difficult to work with.

High stress, nice staff, mgmt doesn't value providers

Physician Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros-See very interesting pathology, higher acuity practice than you'd find anywhere else.
    -Staff & providers are supportive, friendly, and have good integrity.

Cons-Management's only priority is how many patients you see in a day, they don't value employees so there's a high turnover rate at Logan.
    -Extremely low pay for providers.
    -Most sick leave is taken away from vacation time.
    -Stressful, complex population but still only 15 minutes to see each patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping staff/providers happier and less overworked, less stressed so that they won't quit as soon as they can find something better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My dream job within the company became the worst experience ever.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsPatients would recognize my hard work

ConsToo much gossiping. Supervisor says we are a team but yet the staff is not willing to be a team. They expected me to know all these things being new there. And the MAs would tell me that they didn't get any more training that why should they train me more. The staff criticize me and complain about me everytime. I think they complained about me too much because I tried to get along with the supervisor. I loved my supervisor even if she let me go but I don't know why her MAs complained about her so much. I learned so much from her and I thank her for that. From now on I hope the best to that clinic. They lack communication as a team. But to criticize staff they are so good. So disappointed because I really liked that company but the staff made me think the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we are 'family' then why living in fear in what the other staff would judge other staff and not help us instead rather complaining to supervisor how bad a person is doing especially new people

Long-term job satisfaction

Supervisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWorked here for over a decade full-time. I would never consider leaving here. My coworkers rare like family and the benefits are excellent. Every day I come to work I honestly feel I am helping people, especially because they struggle to get by, and the health center means so much to them. It feels good to know I play a part in helping people overcome their health issues.Our CEO is always expanding our services so we can reach more people, and the ability to achieve grants helps us work with hard-to-reach and often ignored populations.

ConsFormer workers should quit trying to hurt the health center with their toxic rants. They need to just move on. Wish there were more night clinics for people work days.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so many uninsured we need more sites, more transportatation and more social services.

My Team at Family Health Centers is my second family.

Mental Health (Current Employee)

ProsIn my 10 years here, I have seen & experienced professional growth. FHC truly lives up to their standards of excellence. My team is my second family and I enjoy coming to work each day. FHC offers flexibility for employees who are attaining a higher level of education, CEU contibrutions, loan repayment opportunities, wonderful supervision, and in-service experiences. Providers really care for their patients and go above and beyond to help them attain their goals.

ConsBecause of our rapid growth, it can be a challenge to find experienced providers who not only have the required professional background, but also are willing to adhere to our standards of excellence and standards of conduct.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, do not loose the sense of family that is so strong today!

Exceptional, mission driven company

Director (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThis is a wonderful organization. The mission is to make sure everyone has access to health care, and every decision and action centers around achieving this goal. It's not a place for slackers- employees are expected to be high performers that care about their patients and work. Good performance is rewarded with annual pay increases, great benefits (for employee and family members), and generous time off (all employees start with 15 PTO days a year + paid holidays.)

The CEO expects a lot from her team, but that is not a surprise from someone who helped grow the organization from one small clinic in Barrio Logan to one of the largest health centers in the nation. She doesn't just give orders, she helps get the work done and she is a great mentor for anyone that wants to work hard and get ahead.

The best part about working at Family Health Centers of San Diego is the impact you make in the patients' lives. You help people at pivotal, scary moments in their lives, like when they are just diagnosed with breast cancer or HIV or their child is sick. You're part of a team that ensures they get access to the care they need (regardless of whether they have insurance), and helps them get back on their feet. You always leave at the end of the day knowing that you made a difference.

ConsWorking with disadvantaged patient populations isn't always easy. You have to be willing to go the extra mile for patients that are facing many personal challenges and aren't always immediately appreciative. But, in the long run, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Great people but hard work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, many really interested in making a difference.

ConsHigh turnover due to long hours and limited vacations.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal sick days so that people don't come in sick in order to save their vacation days.

It depends on your job at FHCSD as to whether you can be successful or not.

LCSW Or Psychologist (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful benefits & pay; good co-workers; great clientele: that is, you should enjoy working with an underserved & diverse population; clean facilities.

ConsPoor staff training; changes come from the top; computer backups are shut down at the closing hour making it impossible to catch up in any way, if needed; lack of support in requesting ADA accommodation (my experience, so don't request until you are past your 90 day performance review); the telephone scheduling system is mediocre. Many PSR's can't tell what the schedule is for each facility; Clinicians expected to talk to patients while typing on a computer the whole time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the outside presentation to the public is outstanding, the staff, communication & policy infrastructure is weak. Staff need consistent training & a training manual for their job title. You can not know what it is like to do a job on the frontline if you sit from afar. I challenge you to follow a staff member for a DAY. Try it again with a different type of position. And again. Consider helping the employee who may be new & felt to have "excellent clinical skills" but struggling in one area. Let's help each other. Be genuine. Focus on the patient & provide exceptional care.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Social Media Coordinator responded to this review

Apr 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your time as an employee at Family Health Centers of San Diego. We appreciate the positive feedback regarding our benefits, compensation and ... More

Only Unionization Could Save This Messed Up, Hostile Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI have been here for over 10 years and stayed because the clinic helps hundreds of thousands of people every year. It is work that matters

ConsUpper and middle management is not stable because of the behavior of one individual. I have never seen so many directors and high managers leave as in the past couple years. Micromanagement everywhere. Silos. No information sharing. Understaffing. People are fed up. The sense of "family" no longer exists like in the old days. All of the vacation days we used to get have been taken away, and are now down to 7. Sick time has gone away and now it is PTO. So, if you are sick, it comes out of your vacation time...which you really need if you work here. The only people with continuing education benefits are M.D.s, but they can afford it. There is no assistance to help others move up. So instead they move out. The Board that is supposed to run the health center never asks employees what they think, and no one knows who they are. They have no idea how unhappy the workers are.

Advice to Senior ManagementI never heard so many people talk about the need for a union as the day that the UT published all of the San Diego nonprofit CEO salaries in the paper.

Feb 17, 2014

Family Health Centers of San Diego is a non-profit organization with dedicated, determined and hard-working employees. We’d like to address some of the comments made in your review of our workplace ... More

Worked for Family Health Centers of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!