Family Health Centers of San Diego

3.1

Family Health Centers of San Diego CEO Fran Butler-Cohen
Fran Butler-Cohen

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A mission driven organization with a healthy respect for the bottom line.

Current Employee - Support Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family Health Centers truly cares about the mission and the people they serve. They look out for the needs of the patients and find ways to meet that need. But, they also understand that they have to maintain a sound financial footing if they want to stay in business, or better yet, expand their services to care for more people.

Cons

It is a passionate team that works very hard to meet their mission. This is not a job for a slacker or someone looking for a easy 9-5 place. But, if you are willing to work hard, you can go home at night knowing that you have helped a lot of families.

It's good until it's bad.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Job security
    - Benefits
    - Good cause
    - competitive pay spending on position
    - Annual 3% raise

Cons

- Unprofessional support staff
    - Under-trained, inexperienced clinicians, with little guidance from supervisors
    - Disrespected my colleagues, support staff, supervisors, management
    - The goal is about quantity not quality
    - Overworked and forced to treat sick children, therefore clinicians are continually sick
    - Unsanitary working environment
    - Huge turn-around
    - Management has a strong power over staff and fires all supervisors who question policies and attempt to support those below them

- Read the exit surveys from your former staff and actually listen
    - Allow change to occur
    - Attempt to lower stress levels in your department

Great experience for college graduate!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of the people who work here are hard-working team players and it's easy to make lifelong friends here. I did not use the health benefits, but heard that they were comparable to those offered by Sharp or Kaiser. Time-off accrual is at a decent rate. Company values motivate employees to continue growing within the company.

Cons

Compensation is generally much lower than other employers within San Diego county, but this is expected since it is a non-profit organization. Some members of management can be very difficult to work with.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High stress, nice staff, mgmt doesn't value providers

Current Employee - Physician Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

-See very interesting pathology, higher acuity practice than you'd find anywhere else.
    -Staff & providers are supportive, friendly, and have good integrity.

Cons

-Management's only priority is how many patients you see in a day, they don't value employees so there's a high turnover rate at Logan.
    -Extremely low pay for providers.
    -Most sick leave is taken away from vacation time.
    -Stressful, complex population but still only 15 minutes to see each patient.

Focus on keeping staff/providers happier and less overworked, less stressed so that they won't quit as soon as they can find something better.

Long-term job satisfaction

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked here for over a decade full-time. I would never consider leaving here. My coworkers rare like family and the benefits are excellent. Every day I come to work I honestly feel I am helping people, especially because they struggle to get by, and the health center means so much to them. It feels good to know I play a part in helping people overcome their health issues.Our CEO is always expanding our services so we can reach more people, and the ability to achieve grants helps us work with hard-to-reach and often ignored populations.

Cons

Former workers should quit trying to hurt the health center with their toxic rants. They need to just move on. Wish there were more night clinics for people work days.

With so many uninsured we need more sites, more transportatation and more social services.

Exceptional, mission driven company

Former Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a wonderful organization. The mission is to make sure everyone has access to health care, and every decision and action centers around achieving this goal. It's not a place for slackers- employees are expected to be high performers that care about their patients and work. Good performance is rewarded with annual pay increases, great benefits (for employee and family members), and generous time off (all employees start with 15 PTO days a year + paid holidays.)

The CEO expects a lot from her team, but that is not a surprise from someone who helped grow the organization from one small clinic in Barrio Logan to one of the largest health centers in the nation. She doesn't just give orders, she helps get the work done and she is a great mentor for anyone that wants to work hard and get ahead.

The best part about working at Family Health Centers of San Diego is the impact you make in the patients' lives. You help people at pivotal, scary moments in their lives, like when they are just diagnosed with breast cancer or HIV or their child is sick. You're part of a team that ensures they get access to the care they need (regardless of whether they have insurance), and helps them get back on their feet. You always leave at the end of the day knowing that you made a difference.

Cons

Working with disadvantaged patient populations isn't always easy. You have to be willing to go the extra mile for patients that are facing many personal challenges and aren't always immediately appreciative. But, in the long run, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Only Unionization Could Save This Messed Up, Hostile Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been here for over 10 years and stayed because the clinic helps hundreds of thousands of people every year. It is work that matters

Cons

Upper and middle management is not stable because of the behavior of one individual. I have never seen so many directors and high managers leave as in the past couple years. Micromanagement everywhere. Silos. No information sharing. Understaffing. People are fed up. The sense of "family" no longer exists like in the old days. All of the vacation days we used to get have been taken away, and are now down to 7. Sick time has gone away and now it is PTO. So, if you are sick, it comes out of your vacation time...which you really need if you work here. The only people with continuing education benefits are M.D.s, but they can afford it. There is no assistance to help others move up. So instead they move out. The Board that is supposed to run the health center never asks employees what they think, and no one knows who they are. They have no idea how unhappy the workers are.

I never heard so many people talk about the need for a union as the day that the UT published all of the San Diego nonprofit CEO salaries in the paper.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Response

Feb 17, 2014Social Media Coordinator

Family Health Centers of San Diego is a non-profit organization with dedicated, determined and hard-working employees. We’d like to address some of the comments made in your review of our workplace ... More

Very top heavy non medically trained management

Current Employee - Physician  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Physician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy working with the under served this job gives you the opportunity.

Cons

Constant gossiping, low pay, thankless (from the staff) job. No warnings if you do something improperly--they just fire you. They have a hard time keeping physicians. Many only last 3-4 months which makes for a disorganized system. One clinic I worked at hadn't had an MD for over 2years. Far more mid-levels than doctors.

Have dialog with your practitioners. Try to find out why there is such a problem keeping physicians.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Response

Apr 3, 2014Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your time as an employee at Family Health Centers of San Diego. We appreciate the positive feedback that our employees are committed to ... More

Does great work for community. Many different positions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

They care about the employees and try to encourage a positive atmosphere.
    If you do well, it will be noticed.
    Get to interact with many different people from different backgrounds.
    Great leadership in my experience

Cons

Fairly tight hourly schedule
    Some inadequate coworkers
    low funding

Strong Work Environment with a Commitment to Continuous Improvment.

Current Employee - Administrator  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in San Diego, CA

Pros

Family Health Centers has a mission oriented to helping under priveledged and uninsured individuals. This mission drives the organization. Company is dedicated to continuous improvement and works to develop strong protocols to meet the mission. Management and many employees are dedicated professionals. Providers / Phyiscians offer quality care to patients. CEO and leadership care about making a difference in people's lives.

Cons

Patient wait times and number of providers are challenges.

Continue your committment to the continuous improvement.

Worked for Family Health Centers of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!