Family Heritage Life Insurance

Updated December 2, 2014
3.7

Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

They have followed through on every promise made.

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

Leaders you can look up to and learn from. Ability to grow a business that you have an actual equity stake in, get paid very well and lock in a permanent residual income. Most importantly, the work you do truly impacts others in a lasting and meaningful way.

Cons

This is not a business you should "give a shot and see how it goes..." Success here requires a tremendous amount of hard work. Need to be committed to following through and doing the job the way you were taught.

Great customer service for your policyholders but your policyholders are not protected

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place if you are semi retired and wish to work a few hours a week and build up a renewal income

Cons

Commission only. They gave a list of my policyholders to another agent who has been calling on them and selling other policies.

Should not allow other agents to target another agent's policyholders. Running into another agent's policyholders on an occasional basis and selling another policy is ok.

Great Company and great people

Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Austonomy
    -Great money (you must work for it)
    -Solid incentives and bonuses
    -Great leadership training and development
    -Clear career pathway
    -Great company trips
    -Family oriented and a very ethical core value
    -great training

Cons

-must be self motivated
    -you are well trained, but you must be able to work on your own
    -some travel is required

I worked out of the Texas Heritage Group in Austin and was very happy. Although I know most of the directors, I can speak most honestly of the THG. Barry Bandera was a great mentor, leader, and is still a close friend today. He was always dedicated to building a great group of people with shared goals.

The only advice I would give to upper management is to give more support and encouragement to more local and regional meetings in order to pull people together and get them to know each other much sooner. This is very much a people company and the team initiative is crucial for most new agents.

Not family heritages fault.

Former Employee - Salesman in Petersburg, WV
    Former Employee - Salesman in Petersburg, WV

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Own hours. What you make us up to how hard you work.

Cons

Commission pay. Lots of driving your own vehicle with no reimbursement.

The lady that was my sponser was a money grubber. We were taught in our classes to be very concerned with the customers. She told me to just get the money and get out. She worked all the businesses and then hired me for the driving and poor parts of town. I made sales but knew most of them wouldn't last. ALL SHE CARED ABOUT WAS HER CUT!!! I believe in what Family Heritage sales. I still have a policy. I just don't like the person in charge of this area.

Learn more about your "senior leaders"

They say 1 salesman is responsible for creating 7 to 8 jobs.

Former Employee - Field Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, learning from great salespeople, worthwhile products

Cons

Cold calling - door to door, really has its crutches. ... but this tactic challenged me.

Barry Bandera and his crew's tactics, people skills, how to present the product, that in itself is valuable education. ...

If you can master your routine doing cold calling, door knocking... you can master anything else in Family Heritage.

The ONE... thing... the only thing. .. is the lack or perception of lack of leadership opportunities for the new guys versus those that have been around and paid their dues...

I believe it's this that promotes a higher turnover than normal at FH...not saying I know better because FH's successes speak for themselves... numerous times over. But the organization of state by state sales leaders can appear to be a glass ceiling for the new guy... realizing its next to impossible to break that ceiling or the perception of it is why I left for other journeys in life. But my time with FH always pays itself forward in everything I have accomplished since I left. My TX leader worked hard to enjoy the fruits of his labor. .. period.

But this in no way reflects my dislike of FH.. Barry's mentorship and that of Fred Rodriguez propelled me into traits I have used for my own successes in other areas.

This is Joe M.. thanks Barry for the opportunity to learn from your Tx organization.

Consider a dynamic shift in creating new leadership opportunities that a new hotshot guy or gal can see themselves in.

You have great products, you attract the right motivated talent, you've baked that beautiful loaf to its potential. .. now give that bread a chance to be served to kings and queens... share and spread the wealth. .. you would be surprised how having leadership opportunities is more attractive than just the money enjoyed by a top earner.

I think having a leader lifecycle helps young churn talent who may perceive there is no end pinnacle for them.

Not to say you displace proven leaders...but I think a company as dynamic as FH could figure out how to keep them in the same regards as the top company leaders.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will get as much support as you want

Cons

The contracts are not in favor of the sales professional. You will need to mass recruit to make it here.

Give better contracts to your loyal agents, not to people that quit and come back.

Work, Work, Play

Current Employee - Agent/Recruit in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Agent/Recruit in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Own your own business, Help people, leadership and management opportunities, unlimited income, incentive trips, awesome training, fun people to work with

Cons

Commission only compensation, Takes an owners mentality, A lot of pressure to sell to make a living.

consider coming into the 21st century where customers are buying insurance online

I'm a new agent with the company and I am doing the door to door approach, getting my bruises early bring it on.

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

unlimited income, set my own hours, doing a job that really benefits people.

Cons

none to report yet, just know this is a sales business and you have got to have the right mindset to be able to achieve success, if not stay with your 9 to 5 gig.

make sure that the new agents are well advised in all aspects of training and leadership requirements.

Good Management

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The management is very helpful. They don't breath down your neck or micromanage you which is nice considering how many companies do.

Cons

Pay is based entirely on commission which can be very challenging. This is only a good opportunity for someone if they are very commited as working in the insurance business is very challenging. You definitely need to be self- disciplined in order to be successful.

Customer care

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

friendly environment, the way you can speak and ask for assistance from co-workers and management.

Cons

If you don't sale anything you wont get paid. solely based on commission.

Numerous opportunity