Family Heritage Life Insurance

Great Company and great people

Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Austonomy
    -Great money (you must work for it)
    -Solid incentives and bonuses
    -Great leadership training and development
    -Clear career pathway
    -Great company trips
    -Family oriented and a very ethical core value
    -great training

Cons

-must be self motivated
    -you are well trained, but you must be able to work on your own
    -some travel is required

I worked out of the Texas Heritage Group in Austin and was very happy. Although I know most of the directors, I can speak most honestly of the THG. Barry Bandera was a great mentor, leader, and is still a close friend today. He was always dedicated to building a great group of people with shared goals.

The only advice I would give to upper management is to give more support and encouragement to more local and regional meetings in order to pull people together and get them to know each other much sooner. This is very much a people company and the team initiative is crucial for most new agents.

They say 1 salesman is responsible for creating 7 to 8 jobs.

Former Employee - Field Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, learning from great salespeople, worthwhile products

Cons

Cold calling - door to door, really has its crutches. ... but this tactic challenged me.

Barry Bandera and his crew's tactics, people skills, how to present the product, that in itself is valuable education. ...

If you can master your routine doing cold calling, door knocking... you can master anything else in Family Heritage.

The ONE... thing... the only thing. .. is the lack or perception of lack of leadership opportunities for the new guys versus those that have been around and paid their dues...

I believe it's this that promotes a higher turnover than normal at FH...not saying I know better because FH's successes speak for themselves... numerous times over. But the organization of state by state sales leaders can appear to be a glass ceiling for the new guy... realizing its next to impossible to break that ceiling or the perception of it is why I left for other journeys in life. But my time with FH always pays itself forward in everything I have accomplished since I left. My TX leader worked hard to enjoy the fruits of his labor. .. period.

But this in no way reflects my dislike of FH.. Barry's mentorship and that of Fred Rodriguez propelled me into traits I have used for my own successes in other areas.

This is Joe M.. thanks Barry for the opportunity to learn from your Tx organization.

Consider a dynamic shift in creating new leadership opportunities that a new hotshot guy or gal can see themselves in.

You have great products, you attract the right motivated talent, you've baked that beautiful loaf to its potential. .. now give that bread a chance to be served to kings and queens... share and spread the wealth. .. you would be surprised how having leadership opportunities is more attractive than just the money enjoyed by a top earner.

I think having a leader lifecycle helps young churn talent who may perceive there is no end pinnacle for them.

Not to say you displace proven leaders...but I think a company as dynamic as FH could figure out how to keep them in the same regards as the top company leaders.

Not family heritages fault.

Former Employee - Salesman  in  Petersburg, WV
    Former Employee - Salesman in Petersburg, WV

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time for less than a year

Pros

Own hours. What you make us up to how hard you work.

Cons

Commission pay. Lots of driving your own vehicle with no reimbursement.

The lady that was my sponser was a money grubber. We were taught in our classes to be very concerned with the customers. She told me to just get the money and get out. She worked all the businesses and then hired me for the driving and poor parts of town. I made sales but knew most of them wouldn't last. ALL SHE CARED ABOUT WAS HER CUT!!! I believe in what Family Heritage sales. I still have a policy. I just don't like the person in charge of this area.

Learn more about your "senior leaders"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

You will get as much support as you want

Cons

The contracts are not in favor of the sales professional. You will need to mass recruit to make it here.

Give better contracts to your loyal agents, not to people that quit and come back.

Work, Work, Play

Current Employee - Agent/Recruit  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Agent/Recruit in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Own your own business, Help people, leadership and management opportunities, unlimited income, incentive trips, awesome training, fun people to work with

Cons

Commission only compensation, Takes an owners mentality, A lot of pressure to sell to make a living.

consider coming into the 21st century where customers are buying insurance online

I'm a new agent with the company and I am doing the door to door approach, getting my bruises early bring it on.

Current Employee - Independent Agent  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

unlimited income, set my own hours, doing a job that really benefits people.

Cons

none to report yet, just know this is a sales business and you have got to have the right mindset to be able to achieve success, if not stay with your 9 to 5 gig.

make sure that the new agents are well advised in all aspects of training and leadership requirements.

Good Management

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The management is very helpful. They don't breath down your neck or micromanage you which is nice considering how many companies do.

Cons

Pay is based entirely on commission which can be very challenging. This is only a good opportunity for someone if they are very commited as working in the insurance business is very challenging. You definitely need to be self- disciplined in order to be successful.

Customer care

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

friendly environment, the way you can speak and ask for assistance from co-workers and management.

Cons

If you don't sale anything you wont get paid. solely based on commission.

Numerous opportunity

You're an OWNER of your own agency. You get what you put into it.

Current Employee - Independent Agent  in  Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Munster, IN

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I run my own agency. I am not a regular 9-5 employee. This is my business. However, I am not in business by myself as I have great support from the home office. Since this is my business, I pay for the expenses to run my business (which are all tax deductible). I sell a product that helps people when they need it. I decide where and to whom (mostly other business owners and doctors) I sell my product. I decide which hours I work. I decide how much I want to make. I built my business by cold calling both resisdentially and B2B. I now primarily run my business through referrals I generated. I have the ability to grow my agency and get paid for my efforts to do that. I am 100% vested in my lifetime residuals which have extremely good proficiency.

Cons

You own your own business so you have to act like a business owner. You can't expect to have your hand held every day for your first 6 months. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. I get paid only when my agents sell so it's in my best interest to help the agent sell as quickly as possible. Understand that this career isn't a fit for everyone. If you haven't succeeded in other areas, your habits and attitudes are the reason and changing careers isn't the solution unless your habits and attitudes also change.

Keep investing in the agents like you do!

Good for the right person

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Toledo, OH

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training program. Managers are very helpful, and want to see you succeed. Mine even gave me a gas card when I was having trouble closing my first sale so that I could continue to work. High commissions, and you receive residuals whether you're still with the company or not. Most importantly, the product you are selling truly is great, and I still believe everyone should have it.

Cons

Door to door sales are HARD. All cold calling to start with. Most people don't want to make big decisions like this on the spot without doing their own research first.

Its the age of internet. I think if the sales agents could direct their leads to a website where they could sign up after they've had time to think about it you would get more sales. I know I don't shell out money without doing internet research.

Worked for Family Heritage Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!