Family Heritage Life Insurance

Updated February 19, 2015
4.0

Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

Unlike Insurance as you know it. I've only been with FHL for a short time but this is the best opportunity in America.

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best part of this organization, without a doubt. Next is the products that they are offering- which actually protect the families we service. Lastly the compensation is honestly unlike anything you will find. The leadership and training is un-matched.

Cons

If you can't be coachable, put in the hours, or can't talk to people it might prove difficult but don't let that discourage you from giving it an honest chance.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Good job

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

Great money making opportunities, good leadership in making sure your on target

Cons

You have to stay motivated and not get discouraged when getting turned down by customers

N/a

Absolutely the BEST sales company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

The culture of this company makes it unique. The entire sales force is rewarded with (literally) millions of dollars in incentives that come in the form of stock, cash bonuses, and trips. You truly get paid what your worth. PRO: if you are willing to put in the hard work and time it takes and listen to what they teach you, you can make a lot of money. Also the products are the best in the industry. The people make you feel like family.

Cons

Sales isn't easy. It takes hard work to be successful. Offers a challenge!

Absolutely worth interviewing to find out what the local office has to offer. They've taken my family all over the world on free vacations, I've made more money than any of my peers, and they give you stock- ownership in the company- for growing your business. Duplicatable process for success in the insurance industry.

Attitude. Motivation and Commitment

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MO

Pros

Best opportunity available for self driven business owner!
    The incentive trips are AWESOME!
    Make your own schedule!
    Fulfillment in providing a top notch product with excellent value to ANYONE!
    Knowing that upper level management has worked from the bottom up, and that Howard Lewis prides that hard work of every employee as an integral part of the business.
    A family culture that nurtures each other, recognizes success and provides positive support in the struggles.
    True freedom that encourages each agent to build their business.
    My mentor, George Zimny of Zeal Financial really has a vested interest in the agents personal growth by helping agents set high goals for business, but also personally.

Cons

As with ANY sales career, it takes personal commitment, high level of personal accountability, flexibility and motivation. These are traits that a person must be able to open themselves up to and be willing to learn. The first few months are definitely hard. The first year is the lowest paying. With NO ceiling, you can work as hard as you want, but without discipline in self and maintaining a forward thinking attitude- the career won't bring you the success you could have!

Group health insurance especially with the recent changes in healthcare would be a nice option for recruiting new agents for the long term.

Family Heritage commission Life

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Family Heritage views its employees as family. There are countless incentives for meeting or exceeding sales quotas. You are given the freedom to run your business that suites your personality while receiving helpful hints and suggestions from directors and coworkers.

Cons

You are expected to build your own business without having a foothold in your local territory. You have to explain the history of the company, the products offered, and the reasons why it would be beneficial for the potential client to sign up to every customer in a cold market. You become accustomed to doing those tasks, but what affects you the most is the commission based pay scale. If your not generating sales on a daily basis then you're not making any money. The lack of base pay and the commitment of 50 hour plus work weeks makes being a permanent member of Family Heritage unappealing. If you like commission sales it's great fit for you, if you want more of a structured pay scale then it definitely is not.

Agent

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

-Be your own boss.
    -Great earning potential.
    -Fantastic support.
    -Great product.

Cons

-just another insurance sales reputation

Amazing opportunity in the Insurance Industry

Current Employee - Agent in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Agent in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Unlimited income, great bonuses, stock, trips, ethical environment, and clear opportunity to build future business and perpetual renewals. I love the family supportive environment. My regional manager has been awesome in training me and supporting me in working towards my long term goals.

Cons

It's not what you do when people are looking but when they aren't- you must go to work to earn. Nobody will hold your hand and randomly give you a paycheck you didn't earn.

It would be great to develop a bundled benefit package for agents to access even as a 1099.

They have followed through on every promise made.

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance

Pros

Leaders you can look up to and learn from. Ability to grow a business that you have an actual equity stake in, get paid very well and lock in a permanent residual income. Most importantly, the work you do truly impacts others in a lasting and meaningful way.

Cons

This is not a business you should "give a shot and see how it goes..." Success here requires a tremendous amount of hard work. Need to be committed to following through and doing the job the way you were taught.

Great customer service for your policyholders but your policyholders are not protected

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place if you are semi retired and wish to work a few hours a week and build up a renewal income

Cons

Commission only. They gave a list of my policyholders to another agent who has been calling on them and selling other policies.

Should not allow other agents to target another agent's policyholders. Running into another agent's policyholders on an occasional basis and selling another policy is ok.

Great Company and great people

Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - State Director/Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Austonomy
    -Great money (you must work for it)
    -Solid incentives and bonuses
    -Great leadership training and development
    -Clear career pathway
    -Great company trips
    -Family oriented and a very ethical core value
    -great training

Cons

-must be self motivated
    -you are well trained, but you must be able to work on your own
    -some travel is required

I worked out of the Texas Heritage Group in Austin and was very happy. Although I know most of the directors, I can speak most honestly of the THG. Barry Bandera was a great mentor, leader, and is still a close friend today. He was always dedicated to building a great group of people with shared goals.

The only advice I would give to upper management is to give more support and encouragement to more local and regional meetings in order to pull people together and get them to know each other much sooner. This is very much a people company and the team initiative is crucial for most new agents.

Family Heritage Life Insurance Photos