Family Heritage Life Insurance

Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis

Howard Lewis

They say 1 salesman is responsible for creating 7 to 8 jobs.

Field Sales (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexibility, learning from great salespeople, worthwhile products

ConsCold calling - door to door, really has its crutches. ... but this tactic challenged me.

Barry Bandera and his crew's tactics, people skills, how to present the product, that in itself is valuable education. ...

If you can master your routine doing cold calling, door knocking... you can master anything else in Family Heritage.

The ONE... thing... the only thing. .. is the lack or perception of lack of leadership opportunities for the new guys versus those that have been around and paid their dues...

I believe it's this that promotes a higher turnover than normal at FH...not saying I know better because FH's successes speak for themselves... numerous times over. But the organization of state by state sales leaders can appear to be a glass ceiling for the new guy... realizing its next to impossible to break that ceiling or the perception of it is why I left for other journeys in life. But my time with FH always pays itself forward in everything I have accomplished since I left. My TX leader worked hard to enjoy the fruits of his labor. .. period.

But this in no way reflects my dislike of FH.. Barry's mentorship and that of Fred Rodriguez propelled me into traits I have used for my own successes in other areas.

This is Joe M.. thanks Barry for the opportunity to learn from your Tx organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a dynamic shift in creating new leadership opportunities that a new hotshot guy or gal can see themselves in.

You have great products, you attract the right motivated talent, you've baked that beautiful loaf to its potential. .. now give that bread a chance to be served to kings and queens... share and spread the wealth. .. you would be surprised how having leadership opportunities is more attractive than just the money enjoyed by a top earner.

I think having a leader lifecycle helps young churn talent who may perceive there is no end pinnacle for them.

Not to say you displace proven leaders...but I think a company as dynamic as FH could figure out how to keep them in the same regards as the top company leaders.

Not family heritages fault.

Salesman (Former Employee) Petersburg, WV

ProsOwn hours. What you make us up to how hard you work.

ConsCommission pay. Lots of driving your own vehicle with no reimbursement.

The lady that was my sponser was a money grubber. We were taught in our classes to be very concerned with the customers. She told me to just get the money and get out. She worked all the businesses and then hired me for the driving and poor parts of town. I made sales but knew most of them wouldn't last. ALL SHE CARED ABOUT WAS HER CUT!!! I believe in what Family Heritage sales. I still have a policy. I just don't like the person in charge of this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about your "senior leaders"

Great place to start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYou will get as much support as you want

ConsThe contracts are not in favor of the sales professional. You will need to mass recruit to make it here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better contracts to your loyal agents, not to people that quit and come back.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work, Work, Play

Agent/Recruit (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsOwn your own business, Help people, leadership and management opportunities, unlimited income, incentive trips, awesome training, fun people to work with

ConsCommission only compensation, Takes an owners mentality, A lot of pressure to sell to make a living.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider coming into the 21st century where customers are buying insurance online

I'm a new agent with the company and I am doing the door to door approach, getting my bruises early bring it on.

Independent Agent (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosunlimited income, set my own hours, doing a job that really benefits people.

Consnone to report yet, just know this is a sales business and you have got to have the right mindset to be able to achieve success, if not stay with your 9 to 5 gig.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure that the new agents are well advised in all aspects of training and leadership requirements.

Good Management

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe management is very helpful. They don't breath down your neck or micromanage you which is nice considering how many companies do.

ConsPay is based entirely on commission which can be very challenging. This is only a good opportunity for someone if they are very commited as working in the insurance business is very challenging. You definitely need to be self- disciplined in order to be successful.

Customer care

Prosfriendly environment, the way you can speak and ask for assistance from co-workers and management.

ConsIf you don't sale anything you wont get paid. solely based on commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementNumerous opportunity

You're an OWNER of your own agency. You get what you put into it.

Independent Agent (Current Employee) Munster, IN

ProsI run my own agency. I am not a regular 9-5 employee. This is my business. However, I am not in business by myself as I have great support from the home office. Since this is my business, I pay for the expenses to run my business (which are all tax deductible). I sell a product that helps people when they need it. I decide where and to whom (mostly other business owners and doctors) I sell my product. I decide which hours I work. I decide how much I want to make. I built my business by cold calling both resisdentially and B2B. I now primarily run my business through referrals I generated. I have the ability to grow my agency and get paid for my efforts to do that. I am 100% vested in my lifetime residuals which have extremely good proficiency.

ConsYou own your own business so you have to act like a business owner. You can't expect to have your hand held every day for your first 6 months. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. I get paid only when my agents sell so it's in my best interest to help the agent sell as quickly as possible. Understand that this career isn't a fit for everyone. If you haven't succeeded in other areas, your habits and attitudes are the reason and changing careers isn't the solution unless your habits and attitudes also change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in the agents like you do!

Good for the right person

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsGreat training program. Managers are very helpful, and want to see you succeed. Mine even gave me a gas card when I was having trouble closing my first sale so that I could continue to work. High commissions, and you receive residuals whether you're still with the company or not. Most importantly, the product you are selling truly is great, and I still believe everyone should have it.

ConsDoor to door sales are HARD. All cold calling to start with. Most people don't want to make big decisions like this on the spot without doing their own research first.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts the age of internet. I think if the sales agents could direct their leads to a website where they could sign up after they've had time to think about it you would get more sales. I know I don't shell out money without doing internet research.

A great salary if you are prepared to sacrifice your personal life

Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood commission with lots of incentive trips, residual income and bonuses. If you are willing to work long, unsociable hours and travel long distances, then the pay can be fantastic.

ConsLimited leadership, however this varies from group to group. 100% commission means if you are snowed in, stuck in a thunder storm or sick - you do not get paid. You are expected to find and pay for your own medical benefits. You have to travel hundreds of miles a week and stay away from your family for one week a month on a trainmore which you have to fund entirely but do end up making more money than a normal week. You are in debt to the company 2-3 years before receiving residuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat agents as individuals and more than just a number.

Worked for Family Heritage Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!