Family Heritage Life Insurance

Updated August 13, 2014
3.7

Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

A great salary if you are prepared to sacrifice your personal life

Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good commission with lots of incentive trips, residual income and bonuses. If you are willing to work long, unsociable hours and travel long distances, then the pay can be fantastic.

Cons

Limited leadership, however this varies from group to group. 100% commission means if you are snowed in, stuck in a thunder storm or sick - you do not get paid. You are expected to find and pay for your own medical benefits. You have to travel hundreds of miles a week and stay away from your family for one week a month on a trainmore which you have to fund entirely but do end up making more money than a normal week. You are in debt to the company 2-3 years before receiving residuals.

Treat agents as individuals and more than just a number.

It has been a great experience in getting to meet new people. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Villisca, IA
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Villisca, IA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to meet new people and helping them achieve their goals

Cons

Is getting told no when you know the people you talk to could really benefit from these policies

Give you agents more time to get out their and really get comfortable in what their doing instead of putting a time limit on them. We have things that come up in personal lives that we can not control. You seem quick to want to terminate agents if they are not producing with in so many months. A lot of these Agents including myself have never done this before. So maybe a little better training in the field of the Trained agents watching the news ones instead of the vise versa. Otherwise how are they suppose to get comfortable in what they are doing if they do not know where they are making mistakes. Just my opinion on that. More training in the field with new agents while the trained agents follow them instead of the new agent following the trained agent. I think that is why a lot of new agents are not sticking with the company, because they don't see the money that could made. It is hard work and not having a pay check unless you sell is harder to pay your bills if you have no income especially in today's economy.

Challenging and rewarding career

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income opportunity, earn renewal income and vesting
    Best supplemental policies out there with return of premium
    Work with supportive people that want to help you grow professionally and personally
    Freedom to set your own schedule once you've put in the hard work up front

Cons

Commission based so time management is key

Great stepping stone if looking to get into sales

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability work and manage your own schedule
    Great training provided at a 1 week Sales School
    Positive support from team
    $1000 cash bonus your first 10 weeks in the business
    You're taught a proven cycle of sales talk
    Great opportunity to learn the hardest form of sales-the cold one-call close
    Awesome incentive trips
    The product is something that REALLY does help families
    You can start building a team right out of sales school

Cons

100% commission
    Independent Contractor ( all gas, food, car maintenance is on your tab)
    Takes some people longer to ramp up and start selling
    Commission rate is lower than other insurance industries
    You're selling a good that is for people who have a disposable income but the company wants you to sell in middle/low income neighborhoods
    Cold call
    No leads provided; you must master the art of lead generation (this could also be a pro)

Provide a base or increase the commission schedule

Completely Neutral

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do have the opportunity to make a lot of money. It's strength in numbers the more see a day the more opportunities you will have to sale.

Cons

You have to invest a lot of time into this career. You will not sale 50% of the time like they say you would. 6 Demos a day will not cut it, you will have to aim for more.

Tell new recruits the truth. Omitting information to them is still lying.

Unprofessional, bait and switch

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Unlimited Income

Cons

No financial support for anything including marketing materials, basically everything you do is out of your pocket, so only apply if you have a few grand saved up. If you dont sell enough and you quit, they make you pay for sales traning and whatever debts on your account. Really there are too many cons to list about this career. So do your due diligence before signing the contract.I feel like they only get people to sign up with them after brain washing them that this is the best company to work for etc. In a nut shell, this is a pyramid scheme, trust me there are better companies out there!

Provide better hands on training, communication with agents, and the first few months help the agent get leads and not throw them to the wolves! Also please act more professional when giving advice to the agents under you and not treat them like children, we are all adults here!

Great opportunity if you have money to spend

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

The product is something that one can believe in. A great product, in fact. There's a good potential for a good income if you can make it through all the negative parts of the job.

Cons

It's a 1099 contract labor, no compensation for gas. Everything is on your shoulders, so if you don't have any money to start out with, it's a bit tough. You get $100 for the first 10 weeks as a bonus, but it's a drop in a bucket comparing to what u spend working.
    You only get 60% of 35% of an AP, so it's not a lot of money for what kind of work and time you invest into selling a policy. An average policy is $50.

Eliminate door-to-door approach because nowadays people buy their policies online.

best opportunity in america hands down!!!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great compensation. and and excellent culture and company.

Cons

long working hours. must have excellent self discipline.

A lifestyle career that can provide unique opportunities in life.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Athens, GA

Pros

Like any successful sales company, I've found FHL to offer a proven sales system, with ample support and training, and a culture that is fun to be a part of. In any sales position, their are the innate challenges that always exist (rejection, attitude, etc.). During my 4+ years, everyday hasn't been perfect, but I've found FHL to offer the necessary support when I need it, to empower me as the sales representative and to encourage and recognize my success.

I find the incentives that are offered to be generous, paid in addition to our regular commissions. Also, the semi-annual sales meetings are a fun part of the culture and has been a very rewarding way to see parts of the country I might not have otherwise visited.

Through my interaction with the home office and underwriting, my opinion is that they follow-through on doing what they are supposed to, sometimes even expediting claims to offer better customer service. I sincerely appreciate working with a company that has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

No job is perfect, no career is perfect. For me, FHL has been a great vehicle to provide income for my family, while allowing me to pursue the other things in life that are personal to me. Some days can be more challenging than others. A career in sales, or commission sales, can be challenging, but the right activities over a long period of time always seem to prevail.

Cons

The job is what it is. Not always your typical 9-5 job. A career in sales (commission, or non-commission) is certainly not for everyone, nor would a job as a bank teller leave every individual feeling fulfilled. If you're interviewing for a position, do your own due diligence by asking any and all questions. Ask to speak to other agents. Ask to shadow another agent. I've found self-motivated and self-disciplined individuals to be experience more success, quickly.

It's disappointing that negative reviews (for any insurance company for that matter) appear to be written by individuals that find it easier to place blame on external factors (the company) rather than internal factors (ourselves). Certainly, I cannot speak for each person's experience, everyone is different, motivated in different ways and reacts differently to challenges, but in my 4+ years with FHL, but I believe that the amount of success each individual experiences is directly related to the choices they make.

Great People, Focus on Leadership Development, You get out what You put in

Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter in Denver, CO

Pros

The sales managers and agents take a vested interest in you and seeing you do well. You get top-notch coaching and mentoring from people in your area who have proven results.

They teach you to work hard on yourself instead of just working hard on your business. If you read the negative reviews, they're all from people who just weren't willing to work hard....especially not on themselves. If you want some things to change in your life, you have to change some things!

You can work anywhere you want. If you want to work 10 minutes from home, you can - they do a great job here of training you how to sell B2B instead of just knocking on doors. If you like working in more rural areas, you'll have to travel more, but it's an easier sale. There's trade-offs with everything in life. One of my good friends used to work for a pharma company doing outside sales, and he got a $60k base + commissions + company perks (car, expense account, etc). He quit after a year because he put 60,000 miles on his car, never saw his wife, and worked with a lot of people who lacked character. I've never had that here. I've always gotten out what I put in.

Advance according to YOUR efforts! Your commission increases and your promotions to training/management roles are completely dependent on your performance, NOT politics or seniority. I was able to be in a training role in just my third month and by the end of my first year was recruiting, managing, and training. I love that I get to do the parts of the career that I love way more than the parts that I don't love :)

They do what they say they're going to do: the CEO, the sales directors, the sales managers - it's nice working with people you can count on.

Cons

You MUST put in the work. When you're new, it's 50-55 hours a week (so what...I worked that many hours for a LOT less money as an employee at jobs that I hated)...when you've settled in after a few months, it's 40-45.

You have to go out and talk to strangers. Call it what you will...cold-calling, pipelining, prospecting, etc. You will need to build your book of business, and the cheapest most effective way to do it is by starting out cold-calling. They train you, though, to be a professional instead of just being a peddler like so many other salespeople out there. It's not that bad. Eventually your business comes primarily from referrals, not from cold-calling.

Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. If this was an easy career, everyone would make six figures a year and take 30 weeks off. You can do that, but it's going to take several years worth of hard work. The people I've seen that have quit spent more time looking for shortcuts than they did working hard - that's a recipe for disaster in this business, but it's the same in ANY business....unless you can trick someone into paying you hourly or salary for just showing up and going through the motions (and that's what they usually do. Then they complain about the people they work with, and their boss, and they can't move up, and they don't make enough money, and they don't get enough time off....LOL I think you get the point).

You don't get benefits. For those who complain about this, wake-up: this is YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Yes, you're 1099 which means you're self-employed. All self-employed people pay for their own insurance and set up their own Roth IRA or retirement plan etc. If you aren't cut out to buy your own insurance, you're probably not cut out to be wealthy :)

Keep doing what you're doing. The only thing I would change would be to increase name-recognition. The company just went from being privately-held to publicly-held, so that will probably change very quickly.

Family Heritage Life Insurance Photos