Family Heritage Life Insurance

Updated December 2, 2014
3.7

Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

You're an OWNER of your own agency. You get what you put into it.

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Munster, IN

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I run my own agency. I am not a regular 9-5 employee. This is my business. However, I am not in business by myself as I have great support from the home office. Since this is my business, I pay for the expenses to run my business (which are all tax deductible). I sell a product that helps people when they need it. I decide where and to whom (mostly other business owners and doctors) I sell my product. I decide which hours I work. I decide how much I want to make. I built my business by cold calling both resisdentially and B2B. I now primarily run my business through referrals I generated. I have the ability to grow my agency and get paid for my efforts to do that. I am 100% vested in my lifetime residuals which have extremely good proficiency.

Cons

You own your own business so you have to act like a business owner. You can't expect to have your hand held every day for your first 6 months. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. I get paid only when my agents sell so it's in my best interest to help the agent sell as quickly as possible. Understand that this career isn't a fit for everyone. If you haven't succeeded in other areas, your habits and attitudes are the reason and changing careers isn't the solution unless your habits and attitudes also change.

Keep investing in the agents like you do!

Good for the right person

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Toledo, OH

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training program. Managers are very helpful, and want to see you succeed. Mine even gave me a gas card when I was having trouble closing my first sale so that I could continue to work. High commissions, and you receive residuals whether you're still with the company or not. Most importantly, the product you are selling truly is great, and I still believe everyone should have it.

Cons

Door to door sales are HARD. All cold calling to start with. Most people don't want to make big decisions like this on the spot without doing their own research first.

Its the age of internet. I think if the sales agents could direct their leads to a website where they could sign up after they've had time to think about it you would get more sales. I know I don't shell out money without doing internet research.

A great salary if you are prepared to sacrifice your personal life

Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good commission with lots of incentive trips, residual income and bonuses. If you are willing to work long, unsociable hours and travel long distances, then the pay can be fantastic.

Cons

Limited leadership, however this varies from group to group. 100% commission means if you are snowed in, stuck in a thunder storm or sick - you do not get paid. You are expected to find and pay for your own medical benefits. You have to travel hundreds of miles a week and stay away from your family for one week a month on a trainmore which you have to fund entirely but do end up making more money than a normal week. You are in debt to the company 2-3 years before receiving residuals.

Treat agents as individuals and more than just a number.

It has been a great experience in getting to meet new people. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Villisca, IA
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Villisca, IA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to meet new people and helping them achieve their goals

Cons

Is getting told no when you know the people you talk to could really benefit from these policies

Give you agents more time to get out their and really get comfortable in what their doing instead of putting a time limit on them. We have things that come up in personal lives that we can not control. You seem quick to want to terminate agents if they are not producing with in so many months. A lot of these Agents including myself have never done this before. So maybe a little better training in the field of the Trained agents watching the news ones instead of the vise versa. Otherwise how are they suppose to get comfortable in what they are doing if they do not know where they are making mistakes. Just my opinion on that. More training in the field with new agents while the trained agents follow them instead of the new agent following the trained agent. I think that is why a lot of new agents are not sticking with the company, because they don't see the money that could made. It is hard work and not having a pay check unless you sell is harder to pay your bills if you have no income especially in today's economy.

Challenging and rewarding career

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income opportunity, earn renewal income and vesting
    Best supplemental policies out there with return of premium
    Work with supportive people that want to help you grow professionally and personally
    Freedom to set your own schedule once you've put in the hard work up front

Cons

Commission based so time management is key

Great stepping stone if looking to get into sales

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability work and manage your own schedule
    Great training provided at a 1 week Sales School
    Positive support from team
    $1000 cash bonus your first 10 weeks in the business
    You're taught a proven cycle of sales talk
    Great opportunity to learn the hardest form of sales-the cold one-call close
    Awesome incentive trips
    The product is something that REALLY does help families
    You can start building a team right out of sales school

Cons

100% commission
    Independent Contractor ( all gas, food, car maintenance is on your tab)
    Takes some people longer to ramp up and start selling
    Commission rate is lower than other insurance industries
    You're selling a good that is for people who have a disposable income but the company wants you to sell in middle/low income neighborhoods
    Cold call
    No leads provided; you must master the art of lead generation (this could also be a pro)

Provide a base or increase the commission schedule

Completely Neutral

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do have the opportunity to make a lot of money. It's strength in numbers the more see a day the more opportunities you will have to sale.

Cons

You have to invest a lot of time into this career. You will not sale 50% of the time like they say you would. 6 Demos a day will not cut it, you will have to aim for more.

Tell new recruits the truth. Omitting information to them is still lying.

Unprofessional, bait and switch

Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Unlimited Income

Cons

No financial support for anything including marketing materials, basically everything you do is out of your pocket, so only apply if you have a few grand saved up. If you dont sell enough and you quit, they make you pay for sales traning and whatever debts on your account. Really there are too many cons to list about this career. So do your due diligence before signing the contract.I feel like they only get people to sign up with them after brain washing them that this is the best company to work for etc. In a nut shell, this is a pyramid scheme, trust me there are better companies out there!

Provide better hands on training, communication with agents, and the first few months help the agent get leads and not throw them to the wolves! Also please act more professional when giving advice to the agents under you and not treat them like children, we are all adults here!

Great opportunity if you have money to spend

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

The product is something that one can believe in. A great product, in fact. There's a good potential for a good income if you can make it through all the negative parts of the job.

Cons

It's a 1099 contract labor, no compensation for gas. Everything is on your shoulders, so if you don't have any money to start out with, it's a bit tough. You get $100 for the first 10 weeks as a bonus, but it's a drop in a bucket comparing to what u spend working.
    You only get 60% of 35% of an AP, so it's not a lot of money for what kind of work and time you invest into selling a policy. An average policy is $50.

Eliminate door-to-door approach because nowadays people buy their policies online.

best opportunity in america hands down!!!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great compensation. and and excellent culture and company.

Cons

long working hours. must have excellent self discipline.

Family Heritage Life Insurance Photos