Family Residential Essential Enterprises

CEO

1. Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Old Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in Old Bethpage, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and your working for a company that does wonderful things

Cons

Extremely stressful environment with no raises. Management wants to see all the work complete no matter how short handed they are.

Advice to Management

Its a give and take relationship - if you treat your employees with respect and treat them well they will do the same.

2. Very poor management & horrible workplace.

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises part-time

Pros

Very little pros besides feeling good about helping others

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible management, unorganized housing & a stressful environment. Horrible scheduling, no flexibility. No raises, nothing. Management expects DSPs to do more than they're supposed to while management just sits in the office all day or comes in for 20-30 minutes then leaves for the rest of the day. Management is no help at all when it comes to the individuals. It's hard for staff to get through to management. Management just doesn't care enough.

Advice to Management

Management needs to actually put in an effort with their job.

3. A great place to work

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in West Babylon, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in West Babylon, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, bonuses, rewarding work

Cons

No raise in 2 years

5. Family Residence and Essential Enterprises is a non-profit agency whose mission is to help individual's with disability

Former Employee - DSP in Old Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - DSP in Old Bethpage, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits is working for a good cause

Cons

cons is the salary very low, unless you want to work for charity you will be happy here. Salary is a joke and so is the benefits.

Advice to Management

The management are people who have no idea of what they are doing and have no education.

6. Stressful environment, poor physical working conditions, strife amongst workers

Former Employee - Applied Behavior Specialist in East Setauket, NY
    Former Employee - Applied Behavior Specialist in East Setauket, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few, except for the possibility of job security. The pay is low, and the work environment is poor.

Cons

stressful work environment, poor physical working conditions, poor employee morale, extremely poor managers. Managers are poorly trained and many are inexperienced and sometimes exacerbate the problems amongst staff.
    The management expects employees to do additional work beyond that which is indicated in their job description. Employees are also "encouraged" to participate "voluntarily" in management sponsored activities for residents, which are beyond the scope and requirements as outlined in the job description. If employees do not agree, and outwardly express hesitation to participate in these activities, it is frowned upon. Not that a person would actually lose their job, but the atmosphere then becomes hostile, and the person is pegged as not being a 'team player". In my experience, management would regularly come up with a new idea to implement for the clients or residents, and then expected the employees to get behind the idea. Though not explicitly stated, if one did not participate for whatever reason, or they simply did not wish to because it was not a part of their job description or because they were not comfortable, it was frowned upon. Those non-'team players" were looked down upon, not treated in a friendly manner. In short, it became a hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Mid-level program coordinators need to be better chosen, trained, and supervised themselves.

7. Limited opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Residential Manager in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Manager in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours for managers

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth for managers

Advice to Management

Increase pay for middle management

8. dysfunctional and highly stressful work environment

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises

Pros

Co workers were great people.
    Noble cause of empowering the developmentally disabled

Cons

Very disorganized. Very understaffed for the workload. Management does not put into practice staff's ideas for improved functioning. No room for career development. Unprofessional office environment with very high stress.

Advice to Management

Take your staff seriously - they know the inner functioning of the office and the workload better than you do because thy do it everyday. If you want expert ideas, your staff is who you should be consulting. Then put into action those ideas.

Hire more people! You can't keep growing your business without growing your infrastructure (staff) to support it.

Implement opportunities for professional development and self-care.

9. RN residential

Current Contractor - Nurse
    Current Contractor - Nurse

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits ,excellent 403K contributions!, tuition reimbursement , workplace perks( discounts with Verizon, Splish Splash, Six flags, etc. ) and the flexibility of your 40 hour work week. As long as you work 5 days a week, you could work 4 hours one day then 10 hours ) It helps me with my children's schedule.

Cons

The raises in salary are not often. Not for profit means difficulty with salary increases .
    Health insurance plan isn't the greatest

10. turnover issues, but extremely goal oriented and great staff

Pros

i enjoyed the CEO and most of the upper leadership were open, engaging in dialogue, and clear on goals.

Cons

They have extremely high turnover rates which leads to a lot of issues and major problems with business continuation. Unless you are executive, or a nurse, you should not expect even close to competitive pay.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, and you will retain all those wonderful people that you invested in. keep that up as well.

11. Experience as a Support Professional (DSP)

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY

Pros

I got the job through a friend of mine. I had never work in the social work field before so it was new to me. I learned a great deal about the individuals I have helping get back on track in life such as, every setbacks bring us closer to the life we were meant to live.

If your goal is to be a social worker, I would say this is a great agency to start with otherwise, don't make this job your home.

Cons

I didn't like the politics of this agency. Those starting at the bottom as DSP (direct support professional) were sometimes used as scapegoat when someone was to be blamed.