Family Residential Essential Enterprises

CEO

RN residential

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits ,excellent 403K contributions!, tuition reimbursement , workplace perks( discounts with Verizon, Splish Splash, Six flags, etc. ) and the flexibility of your 40 hour work week. As long as you work 5 days a week, you could work 4 hours one day then 10 hours ) It helps me with my children's schedule.

Cons

The raises in salary are not often. Not for profit means difficulty with salary increases .
    Health insurance plan isn't the greatest

Stressful environment, poor physical working conditions, strife amongst workers

Former Employee - Applied Behavior Specialist in East Setauket, NY
    Former Employee - Applied Behavior Specialist in East Setauket, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very few, except for the possibility of job security. The pay is low, and the work environment is poor.

Cons

stressful work environment, poor physical working conditions, poor employee morale, extremely poor managers. Managers are poorly trained and many are inexperienced and sometimes exacerbate the problems amongst staff.
    The management expects employees to do additional work beyond that which is indicated in their job description. Employees are also "encouraged" to participate "voluntarily" in management sponsored activities for residents, which are beyond the scope and requirements as outlined in the job description. If employees do not agree, and outwardly express hesitation to participate in these activities, it is frowned upon. Not that a person would actually lose their job, but the atmosphere then becomes hostile, and the person is pegged as not being a 'team player". In my experience, management would regularly come up with a new idea to implement for the clients or residents, and then expected the employees to get behind the idea. Though not explicitly stated, if one did not participate for whatever reason, or they simply did not wish to because it was not a part of their job description or because they were not comfortable, it was frowned upon. Those non-'team players" were looked down upon, not treated in a friendly manner. In short, it became a hostile work environment.

Mid-level program coordinators need to be better chosen, trained, and supervised themselves.

Limited opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Residential Manager in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Manager in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours for managers

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth for managers

Increase pay for middle management

somewhat okay not good but not bad

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get bonuses during the holidays

Cons

you do a lot more then what you get paid
    some house are very difficult and never enough staff
    very sexist (boys cant shower women but women can shower men) as if girls cant be perverts smh
    giving medications to clients and very dangerous kinds also
    never enough staff in any houses
    a lot of rude caribbean older women that are very mean to clients and the younger people

please hire a lot a lot a lotttttt more stafffffffffffff
    stop making the suspension process very long other people got financial responsibilities as well as you ( 2 months suspension is unacceptable

Experience as a Support Professional (DSP)

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got the job through a friend of mine. I had never work in the social work field before so it was new to me. I learned a great deal about the individuals I have helping get back on track in life such as, every setbacks bring us closer to the life we were meant to live.

If your goal is to be a social worker, I would say this is a great agency to start with otherwise, don't make this job your home.

Cons

I didn't like the politics of this agency. Those starting at the bottom as DSP (direct support professional) were sometimes used as scapegoat when someone was to be blamed.

turnover issues, but extremely goal oriented and great staff

Pros

i enjoyed the CEO and most of the upper leadership were open, engaging in dialogue, and clear on goals.

Cons

They have extremely high turnover rates which leads to a lot of issues and major problems with business continuation. Unless you are executive, or a nurse, you should not expect even close to competitive pay.

Pay your employees more, and you will retain all those wonderful people that you invested in. keep that up as well.

Good

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Day program
    Relief staff
    Opportunity for advancement
    Quality training
    Provide CPR and first aid certification
    Opportunity to work with animals

Cons

Sometimes the staff is unreliable.
    High burn-out rate
    Shifting priorities (paperwork, logs, etc.)

Family residences gives a good insight into the medical field hands on.

Former Employee - direct care and habitual specialist assistant in Medford, NY
    Former Employee - direct care and habitual specialist assistant in Medford, NY

I worked at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

With the training that I had with both the group homes and the day treatment center I worked with low to high functioning, developmental disabilities, medical complications and mental health. You get training on administering medication, learning the signs and symptoms of side effects of medication and caring for many different types of medical conditions. With working in the day treatment center we followed the OTs and speech's goals for individuals to utilize communication devises as well as adaptive equipment. In the group homes we were trained how to assist the individuals with learning how to clean, shower, dress, and perform home management skills depending on the level of functioning. I went to suffolk county community college while working with the agency and became an occupational therapist assistant. Working with family residences I was able to get right into the program with the experience that I had with the agency. Benefits with medical and dental were great.

Cons

Some of the challenges with the agency consisted of the following: not enough staff to follow ratio numbers, the work load got worse with inc'd amt of paperwork, no lunch/dinner breaks if you are working in a group home, the pay was what minimum wage is now.

Allow for scheduled breaks for staff in the group homes, staff should be trained with social skills for redirection back to task and to avoid behaviors.

My experience at Family Residences and Essential Enterprises has taught me to be more patient and understanding.

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Family Residences and Essential Enterprises is that it is a rewarding feeling to help others who require assistance in anyway.

Cons

Some downsides to working at Family Residences is that it requires patience and dedication to work in difficult situations.

Some advice I can share with upper management is to continue to keep up the good work with team members at the residences and within the agency.

Disorganized company, but has some good programs and staff that really help the individuals

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Family Residential Essential Enterprises part-time (less than an year)

Pros

learn about individuals and make a difference in their everyday lives

Cons

structure of the programs to help individuals are somewhat unorganized

more structure is needed