Family Video Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals and get to watch movies before the DVD release (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • with no breaks to rest or eat a meal with anything resembling nutritional value (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management boasts about keeping their stores open during snow storms without any concern for employees (in 27 reviews)

1. Good starting job

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

Fun Company, good pay, growing opputrunities, great upper management

Cons

Salary pay requires 44-48 minimum hours a week with late hours

Family Video was one of my first jobs and I still discover just how much I learned there.

I worked at Family Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of hours! If you are a strong worker they will give you an amazing amount of hours.

Commission: there are opportunities to earn commission

Empowerment: they trust you to run the company And there are few limits when it comes to solving problems

Cons

High turn over. Upper management doesn't expect you to stay so they do not invest in their employees.

Payroll: I would often close at midnight by myself, required to take the deposit.

Whole business structure could use a revamp. POS is outdated.

3. sales associate

I worked at Family Video

Pros

movies discounts fairly easy job

Cons

standing all the time b

Under paid, under appreciated too much BS

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with movies is fun, the customers are pleasant, commissions are okay.

Cons

Let's talk about the things you don't get paid for! They expect you to work volunteer hours, for example I worked 2:30-8:30pm at our local fair in out Family Video booth without being paid. When we don't get movies in stock, we are required to volunteer our time in the early morning to go to walmart and buy them with the store card. The on call shifts take the majority of your day, I've had one that lasted 3-10pm before, they give you thirty minutes to get to the store. So the entire time you're waiting around in your work clothes waiting for them to call you. They are super strict on payroll, if you're a midshift forget working more than 3-4 hours a night. They expect you to get to the store 20 minutes before your shift to count your drawer, without being paid. When you travel for the store with other managers you're only paid the time youre at the location, not the time you drove there.THIS IS ALL WHILE BEING PAID 7.65 AN HOUR. They don't train you, rather walk you through how to close or open for about 20 minutes and then expect you to do it flawlessly first time you do it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard managers speaking badly about employees in front of employees.

Advice to Management

Pay up, we're required to take a test when hired to prove we are competent, why not get paid like we are?

6. Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

flexible scheduling. The environment is nice and relaxed, but if you work at a busier store, much faster pace.

Cons

not enough hours. higher pay. When you're a keyholder you close alone most times, and when the store closes at midnight sometimes it doesn't feel the safest.

Advice to Management

I think raises should be given more frequently. My manager never closes and I wish she would to seem more flexible.

7. Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I worked at Family Video part-time

Pros

The customers are really a big part of this company, I personally enjoy getting to know everyone on a one-on-one level. Its rewarding when you see the satisfaction in someone's demeanor when they are pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive their purchase was. The environment is relaxed, yet constant and exciting.

Cons

Not getting to sit down or really have a proper lunch break. Obviously, there are some customers that are terrible, but those are far and few.

Advice to Management

Just don't leave a new trainee unsupervised on a Friday night for their first shift...for any amount of time. However, I don't think this is a common practice, I just happened to fall victim of this.

Manager in Training

I worked at Family Video full-time

Pros

The district manager was great. The employees genuinely seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Cons

The regional manager was a sadistcal moron. The hours are long. The pay is awful for a management position. They lie when they advertise 35k. It's actually 26k plus commission.

Advice to Management

Be up front with your new hires. Add new talent at higher levels to avoid bad habits dripping down the ladder.

9. Advancement options but a lot of micromanaging.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, most of the time fun experience. Lots of opportunities to move up in the company. Managers get benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Low pay, unfortunate weekend hours, micromanaging from upper management (they also focus a lot on the negatives and don't build employees up very often).

Cashier/Store Opener/Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service/Cashier/Store Opener in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Cashier/Store Opener in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to know the regular customers, generally easy job.

Cons

Constantly hiring even though there are plenty of employees, hours getting cut more and more due to new hires, then expecting employees to compete for hours with their sales numbers. I was on the top in sales and they still kept cutting hours even though I was promised I would get as close to 40 hours as possible. Management will lie to you to get you to take the job and not hold up on promises. Most weeks I only averaged 9 hours of work! That's even after being promoted to key holder/store opener.

Advice to Management

Value your hard working and capable employees. Stop hiring when you have more than enough employees.

11. Disappointing

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Joliet, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly and the customers are great depending on location. The movie selection is diverse and the company has an interesting history.

Cons

The company illegally does not permit breaks for employees, meaning minimum wage workers have 8 hour shifts with no break, even to eat. Raises are unheard of and management is overworked.

Advice to Management

Corporate should enforce basic legal regulations at minimum to avoid losing employees. A lower turnover rate could lead to higher profits, especially if morale were boosted, thus affecting customers positively in a better retail environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed