Family Video Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals and get to watch movies before the DVD release (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • with no breaks to rest or eat a meal with anything resembling nutritional value (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management boasts about keeping their stores open during snow storms without any concern for employees (in 27 reviews)

1. Great job for the right type of person

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Free rentals; fun atmosphere; everyone is empowered; lots of freedom to be creative; get the chance to learn every aspect of running a business; schedule flexibility; get the chance to really connect with customers. This job is great for creative people who want to grow as people and professionals. I've developed so many skills and learned so many lessons that will help me in the future, regardless of whether or not I stay with this company. And I love getting the chance to connect with people. The laid back, fun atmosphere allows me to get to know the customers in a way most jobs wouldn't allow. Just yesterday I was talking with a customer who was so grateful that we have a section full of free kids movies they could rent and that led us to having a real conversation. And just think about that for a second: a for-profit company that has an entire section of free stuff for customers. The company may be flawed, but I can't ignore all the good it offers. And, yes, the market is changing with the convenience of streaming media and that means our roles are changing with it. But it's silly to the company is going to collapse. The truth is that there are limitations to cable and streaming subscriptions - and I hear about these limitations from customers literally every day. And when I see my store packed on a Saturday night, it's proof that there's still a market for us. Things could drastically change in 5-10 years, but for now things are fine.

Cons

Low pay based on the amount of work; no breaks; higher-ups are demanding; can be a very stressful environment; can be hard to advance with so much competition. Honestly, some days I just want to leave and go to a job I know I can get paid more for less stress and responsibility. From immature staff, demanding bosses, rude customers, and a never ending list of tasks to be completed, I can understand why so many people get burned out. But the good heavily outweighs the bad and most days I'm happy to go to work, which is something a lot of people can't say.

Advice to Management

Really listen to everyone - customers, part timers, and management. Sometimes the regional managers get so caught up in the bottom line they forget the core values that make Family Video so unique and wonderful. And take care of your managers - my region has lost a ton of talented people because they felt overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated. A simple "thank you" from regional managers could go a long way to boosting morale.

2. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Empowerment and freedom. Ability to watch movies and talk to customers about movies and games. Grassroots events a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Cons

Overworked and not enough time allotted to complete required projects. No watch dog for higher-up management. I was there for over five years, moved many times and was told I would be a DM in "six months".

Advice to Management

More reviews on District and Regional managers. Just because managers are salary exempt does not mean they should be told that anything that cant be done in the required 44 hours requires the MANAGER to work over with no compensation.

3. Fast paced, and fun

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers even some great managers. If you like a challenge and enjoy a fast pace environment this could be the job for you.

Cons

Pay is tight, there is no arguing that. The real problem is there is no downtime even on days off. Constant calls to plan for future projects and any issue a manager decides to address in the moment.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if a day off was a day off.

Former Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frankfort, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frankfort, IN

I worked at Family Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company treats its employees well.

Cons

The dwindling of customer base due to streaming video left management running a "tight ship." There just isn't really a market for this anymore.

6. Fun Environment but...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a fun environment, depending on who you work with and who are your superiors. Knowledge of movies and engaging with customers are very fun. Very easy to learn and fast paced environment.

Cons

They act like they have standards for their managers, but sometimes they don't. It took me 3 years to find out that they were paying me the bare minimum and it took heavy convincing for a raise, although, I was working more like manager versus a part-time employee. They also say you can move within in the company but when you are a very good employee, they make false promises and do not move you up within the company. Family Video is going out of business and they're just focusing on their pizza joints.

Advice to Management

Pay is terrible for management and the stress they go through with lazy employees, having to work during holidays, and even commission doesn't help that much. Also, your marketing manager is an idiot and messes up stuff a lot. That's embarrassing.

7. Has its perks

I worked at Family Video full-time

Pros

Works around schedule, opportunity for advancement, commission, fun atmosphere

Cons

Very face paced work most of the time. Open every day of the year, so working holidays happens a lot.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and listen to concerns from employees more often.

8. They're dying.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, most regular customers become like your friend, pre-streets.

Cons

No breaks. Always working alone. Constantly some type of promotion (candy, lymphoma, more candy) that are absolutely mandatory. If you don't perform well in the promotions, you don't get hours. Barrage of emails sent daily about payroll, candy promotions, community events, revenue, percentages. Expected to "pull 2's" (do the job of 2 people) by yourself with no incentive. Flirting is a MUST to be favored my a DM or RM. Raises are impossible as the company dies.

Advice to Management

No point. You'll all be Marco employees in 2 years.

assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies before street date. Half priced game and movie rentals. Plus if you do your job... they reward you with free rentals of all movies that have been out longer than two weeks. Awesome company. Ive been here 3 years. Im gonna hate to leave. i can't say enough good things about this company.

Cons

Only bad part is having to be there so late. Open til midnight and work most weekends and hoidays. Not fun for a mom of young children.

10. Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with. You set your own hours during the weekdays. You get to surround yourself with movies and games all week long.

Cons

Work most weekends. Struggle to have any breaks.

Advice to Management

N/A

11. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free rentals, get to take ownership, plan community events, great commission

Cons

Long hours, working alone during the day, advancement is easy up to store manager but much harder to advance beyond that

Advice to Management

Have fun, utilize the opportunity to learn how to run a business. It was a great start to my career.

RSS Feed </> Embed