Family Video

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great work experience!

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Howell, MI

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to grow within the company. I worked up to shift manager within a month. They offer MIT (manager in training) programs for those looking to take the next step. There is room to make bonus commission by selling 1/2 off memberships and candy. I was able to earn over $300 in commission in one month working part time. A fun job that provided great interaction with customers on a regular basis. If you enjoy a fast paced workplace with a strong customer service focus then this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Very low pay
    Inconsistent hours
    High employee turnover

Family Video is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Video part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great company to build sales experience and gain leadership experience. They will work with you with school schedules and are very flexible.

Cons

It is tough working nights and weekends sometimes but that is what comes with working in retail. The biggest complaint is working holidays but most you are compensated well for.

Can be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Flexible hours, Decent pay for entry level jobs, Discounted/Free rentals

Cons

Many part time employees tend to be immature and have poor work ethic, so you can get stuck with a majority of the workload. Closing with only one person at midnight.

The company says customer service is number one so it should be. Managers shouldn't just base hours off sales; it should also include the better employees.

It's a fun atmosphere to work in, crazy customers, iffy pay.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movie rentals, fun people to work with.

Cons

Mandatory to work holidays, little opportunity to spend time with family.

If you want employees to work crazy hours you need to pay them better

Good if you like no consistency.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Family Video part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-most managers will work around other schedules
    -staff is usually qualified and fun to work with. I do love my coworkers.
    -commission check at the end of the month is nice

Cons

- I work in a smaller store so 90% of the time, I'm working the store by myself. There's ZERO security: no cameras and no button to contact authorities under the counter in case of robbery or violent customers. I have had many nights end with me being terrified to leave because the parking lots are dark, you're alone, and you have to bring the night deposit to the bank after close.
    - Some weeks, I'll be scheduled for 14 hours and only get to work 4. (Like this week) Stores have on-call or mid-shifts and if it's not a busy store, those shifts will get called off because they're not busy enough.
    - You work EVERY holiday. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, New Year's. It's miserable to say the least.
    - They make you change the sign outside every Tuesday. Rain, snow, and even IN A LIGHTENING STORM. I had to change the sign swinging around a long metal pole in a storm. It's a miracle I didn't get electrocuted! But if you complain enough, they'll be nice enough to supply a poncho.
    - Many people who get fired, don't actually get fired. They'll just stop scheduling you. You won't get any answers if you ask them about it either.
    - They pay is crap. You're supposed to be up for a raise every six months I believe. I've been there for two and a half years now and have only had one raise consideration. And that was only because I took off time to go to school and then came back to work.
    - They push you ridiculously hard for sales. If you don't meet sales goals every month, they threaten to fire you or suspend you. The commission is nice though that you get at the end of every month.
    - The hiring process is crazy. Interview with the manager, super tough test that has nothing to do with the job, interview with the district manager, and then you have to make it through training and your 30-day evaluation.

Care about your employees. If you cared about us as much as you cared about late fee collection, half off sales, money, and candy sales, we might not be so disappointed after we get hired.

Good for a High School or College Student

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Family Video

Pros

Family Video offers a pretty friendly work environment with opportunities to distinguish yourself if you work hard toward upselling customers and pushing company incentives.

Cons

Rental video is dying. It seemed like an odd and out of date job when so many movies are available to stream. Employees know this and it's not great for morale.

Okay, for a part-time job (No the movie business isn't dead - just come in on a Friday night)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Erie, PA

I worked at Family Video

Pros

The Pro's of working at family video are:
    - almost always hiring (there is a high turnover rate, at least in the region I worked in)
    - flexible hours for part-time workers (really helped while I was in college to schedule around class times, big tests/projects and finals
    - no uniform
    - PRE-STREETS! I loved being able to rent movies for free before they got released to the public

Cons

The Con's of working at family video are:
    - the District Managers, Regional Managers, and higher-ups are completely clueless as to how an actual store runs day to day. Therefore, you get less than nice emails from them or a message relayed through your manager about things that literally can't be changed.
    - the pay sucks, its over minimum wage but just barely (but let's be honest if you need a college job like I did you'll take what you can get)
    - Sales, I understand we live in a sales-centric type of economy but honestly, punishing employees for not selling enough out your over-priced candy and pop-corn?
    - At the store I worked in management always left you tasks to do during the night-shift (fyi night-time are the busiest hours, this stuff should be done during the day - for example five boxes of candy to be accepted into the computer inventory and then put out for display)

Really? Management didn't listen to me when I was a "valued-employee" why would they listen to an anonymous reviewer?

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Family Video

Pros

Free movie rentals. That's about it.

Cons

-No breaks, even if you work 9+ hours
    -The company will use you (I.e. Have you work off the clock a ton)
    -You will then get in trouble for working off the clock, but they will continue having you do so
    -Pretty much all of the employees at the stores I worked at were constantly threatened with losing their jobs for pretty much everything they did
    -They will threaten you with your job if you don't pass the audit given by your RM (even though it's your manager's fault for not training you correctly)
    -Too much to really type; just don't do it

Treat your employees like people.

Not worth it, but it is a paycheck

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Family Video part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free prestreets and half price rentals. Commission can be okay if you make enough.

Cons

Long hours, foul-mouthed employees, low pay, unreasonable work expectations, threats to have hours cut if you don't get ridiculously high sales, little training. No real breaks, and working holidays. I could go on, but there isn't enough room.

Pay attention to employees. Set a good example. Don't screw things up and blame it on mid-shift. Managers should actually manage the store. Spend less time on your phone, and more time working instead of pushing off all of the work onto other employees.

They prefer you be young female

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Family Video part-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are great and it's fun to deal with the customers

Cons

They say they want to be a fun place for people to work and how important their employees are. Truth is the only important thing is bottom line(yes I know it's a business). Even after numerous lawsuits in 2011, they continue to schedule long hours with no breaks or meals. This could just be the stores in this district but I doubt it. They have none of the federal required postings anywhere in the store and they discriminate against people with facial hair. I have 15 years of professional HR experience as well as 18 years of Volunteer EMS experience. I am a veteran of the U.S. Army with a service related disability and yet it appears because I choose to have a goatee, I am not able to work at family video as a sales associate for a part time income. I passed tests, passed interviews, and was told to work I had to shave. Mind you the handbook states "facial hair neatly maintained" but store regional manager can require more.

Someone please tell me how I can save lives, work for a multi-billion dollar company HR with no issues but can't man a video rental counter because of facial hair.

Family Video Photos