Family Video Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Family Video Founder & CEO Charlie Hoogland
Charlie Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 34 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

exhausting

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule.
    great team of people to work with.
    free movies.
    location.

Cons

way too much to get done , by yourself, every single day.
    under staffed.
    low pay.
    i have gone in on my own time to get things done just so we, as a store, wouldn't get yelled at by our district manager.
    the "labor forecaster" is a one-size-fits-all .. doesn't accommodate for variables such as store size, new customers, phone calls etc.

higher pay will attract and keep better employees

A fantastic opportunity for those looking for management experience!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to run your business like an owner. The team that I was a part of was supportive and helped to develop me personally

Cons

Long hours with no breaks; Salaried store managers required to spend additional hours to buy movies to fill weekly demand, which depending on availability, can turn into a multiple-day chore, none of which is compensated. At the moment, the only real advancement opportunities are coming from the Marco's Pizza side of things, and I signed on for a Movie company, not food service

great place to work !

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, nice customers, easy work.

Cons

none. I was satisfied with every thing.

Only Basic Behavioral Interview Questions Necessary

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, fun minimum wage job.

Cons

Stupidly difficult initial test, some upper-level employees difficult to work with

Some of the upper-level employees are quite condescending to lower-level employees. Not a dealbreaker, but enough so that I didn't like working shifts when my regional manager worked

Fast paced, Inconsistent hours, low pay

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great job for someone who is a self-starter, enjoys multitasking, and enjoys customer relationships. Access to movies and games before the public is a great perk.

Cons

The pay is low and typically raises are a joke. Most employees do not pass the 30 day trail period. Expectations from upper management within the company are constantly changing which makes it difficult to know what is actually expected from you. You will work Holidays! Hours are not consistent and may be non existent during slow periods and the company policy of always trying to over staff a store for flexibility.

I believe that Family Video strives to have the best customer service representatives out there. Paying minimum wage to have the best is not a good strategy.

Decent college job not a career company

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Open 10am to midnight daily, easy to work for during college

Cons

Scheduling is all over the place, not worth trying to move up the pay to work ratio is awful

Care more about saving a penny than employee safety!

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really liked the fact that in the mornings during the week the company allowed a special needs class to come in and help us around the store. It was a really rewarding experience to help to prepare the students for the workplace.

Cons

Everything at this company is about saving a buck! They are obsessed about their employees clocking in and out at their scheduled times, but expect you to work later than your shift to close the store and do extra tasks off of the clock. Also when closing the store, instead of having a second person there to help out, as well as to increase the security, the typically opt to have only one closer. This is unacceptable, and shows that the company has no care for their employees.

Take less time trying to decipher ways to save a buck and work to enrich your employees. Also, work to grow loyal employees. too many times did I see employees who were stuck in the same position for over 5 years, and no option for growth. There is a lack of training with this company as well.

Very Demanding. Understaffed. Underpaid for work done.

I have been working at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Movies. Amazing staff. Great customers. My store manager tries very hard to fairly schedule employees and work around family, school, or second job.

Cons

High turnover. Employees are expected to have computer skills, customer skills, inventory skills, and problem solving skills while being paid minimum wage. Badly understaffed. Employees are expected to take care of customers, process inventory, take inventory, stock inventory, clean, answer phones, while operating a store solo. Store Managers are very stressed out due to unfair expectations, which bleeds down to the staff. Just last week staff were made to feel at fault for the drop in revenue to the store. Isn't that the multi-billion dollar company's job to advertise. Our store ranked in the top 100 in sales percentage then the staff got heckled about the drop in revenue.

Always staff at least 2 people per shift. How can one person operate a store to your sky high expectations while providing excellent customer service? And properly train employees. Managers find this hard to do giving the strict labor rules. Take care of your employees better even if the labor goes up. Stores would look nicer and always be inventoried more accurately.

Fun job but extremely demanding

I worked at Family Video

Pros

The coworkers were great and always made it a fun environment. Most employees get free rentals if attainable sales goals are met.

Cons

Far too demanding for the pay grade. Open 365 days a year, 10am-midnight, and no scheduled breaks (expected to eat lunch behind the counter, very unprofessional). District and regional managers don't have enough of an "open door policy" and really just recite a lot of corporate nonsense that doesn't help managers or CSRs.

Truly listen to the store managers' concerns and treat each store as an individual rather than comparing with "the company." Schedule lunch breaks for employees working more than 6 hours (like every other company does) so they can have time to sit down, relax, and eat a meal without having to help customers/answer phones while chewing food.

Fun, Friendly, Exhausting

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pekin, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pekin, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a fun place to work, overall. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the staff were helpful during training, management performs regular employee reviews to help encourage growth. The emphasis on sales is great for anyone who is looking to make a career in sales.

Cons

The main con is that there are no set break times. They say that if you need to you can take a break but I found this primarily applies to smoke breaks and bathroom breaks.

Set break times for shifts beyond 4 or 5 hours would be a great place to start. Also, offering leadership training to staff would be great to encourage employees to stick with FV for the long haul.

Family Video Photos

Game Room
Family Video
bricks and mortor of movie industry

+ Add Photo