Family Video Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
318 reviews filtered by
2.8
Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 27 reviews)

1. Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

I love working with the customers and being able to recommend something in a category im an expert at. I've met a lot of fun and nice people, customers and employees. If you work very hard you will get promoted. Great job for experience but better opportunities. Great flexibility with schedule, less when you move to management but you get first priority with some things.

Cons

You have to keep on top of upper management to get promoted, they seem to take their time and dilly dally. Manager is very stressful and you don't get paid for the amount of time and work you put in. You can work more than 8 hours most days and don't even get a break. They expect a lot from you.

2. misc

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have really treated me well

Cons

Not acknowledging the dip in revenues

Advice to Management

time to get this addressed

3. Multi store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast passed, always changing and up beat environment. High expectations and always evolving.

Cons

Stressful with very little reward. Great starting job but better opportunities are out there. Customers are treated better than employees.

5. Overall Good!

Former Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Video (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved my position as store manager. Over the years I have moved through the company I have met many wonderful people who have taught me so much. I knew my customers by name when they walked through the door. At the end of the day, it was a great feeling to know you helped someone grow as an employee or you made someones day by helping them choose a movie or removing a late fee from a hardship. I was lucky to have moved from part time to assistant manager to store manager during my 15 years.

Cons

I'd rather not say as it looks like it's been all said before.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Get everyone's side of the story. Ask the people who work in the stores before making changes as we are the ones doing the work day to day. Lastly "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

6. General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

Fun work environment, flexibility with scheduling, good upper management

Cons

Understaffing stores, high turn-over, low pay

Advice to Management

Don't try to tell your employees that they won't find a better job if they want to leave.

7. Assistant Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

The people that you get to work with are some of the best friends you will ever meet. The free movies are awesome! Doing project based work is a lot of fun.

Cons

You have to work long hours without a break, or be able to sit down to enjoy your lunch. They have been putting more and more work on the store managers, who are not able to delegate tasks because of payroll constraints.

Advice to Management

People can suffer from burnout easily here, so you should give people more than just one weekend off a month.

Learned a lot - standards are dropping when promoting upper management

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training for management, I learned a ton. Chance for promotion if you work hard and stay positive. Company is very successful and a well-run business.

Cons

The company grew from 200-900 stores very quickly. I believe that in that time period, the expectation and standards were lowered when hiring and promoting upper management such as district managers and regional managers. I worked for the company for almost 8 years and not until the last year did I see such a significant change in our district and region because of poor decision-making and poor upper management. Hopefully this was not a company-wide issue, but it sure was in our area. Also, the company has really capped manager salaries which is extremely low for the hours and amount of work you do. DON'T EVER EXPECT TO SEE A RAISE. No matter how well you're doing. I have a friend that works in a low volume Family Video store (because it's only 1 year old) that has seen tremendous growth. But because it has not reached a certain level of net income, they only pay her $12.00/hour!!! That's insane and nearly impossible to live on. And she's AMAZING! Also, the hours are difficult if you have a family. Manager are expected to work 3 WEEKENDS IN A MONTH. Understandable since you want your best people on staff, but not worth losing time with your kids and family.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good managers you have and pay them accordingly.

Meh

I worked at Family Video

Pros

I liked everyone I worked with

Cons

No breaks even with 8 hour shifts

Advice to Management

I loved my manager personally, but the management needs to understand why there is such big turn over there. Take the time to listen to your employees needs and wants.

10. I have really enjoyed working for this company for the past four years.

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Great employees to work with and bosses.

Cons

None. Do your job and you'll be fine.

11. This job can be great when you work for the right Management.

I worked at Family Video

Pros

Fun atmosphere! Sales can be great if you have a competitive nature.

Cons

Poor Upper Management : Regional Managers, Sectional Managers and Regional VP's

Advice to Management

Be consistent across the board and Regionals need to stop sleeping with their subordinates.

Family Video Photos