Family Video Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals and get to watch movies before the DVD release (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • with no breaks to rest or eat a meal with anything resembling nutritional value (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management boasts about keeping their stores open during snow storms without any concern for employees (in 27 reviews)

1. Not a terrible job.

Current Employee - Assistant in Kenton, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant in Kenton, OH

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to run stores like they were your own, it's such a fun job on the weekends with other employees. You get movies before they street & half off others. You get commission! You get to know your customers on a personal basis. Get to organize your store with movies on the wall and in sections.

Cons

Expected to do more than what you're paid for, management is basically on call 24/7, open 365 so holiday work will most likely happen. Nights and weekend business. Management is required to work 4-8 on weekends..

Advice to Management

Open more training back up, pay a bit more, make sure there are managers in every store.

2. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Empowerment and freedom. Ability to watch movies and talk to customers about movies and games. Grassroots events a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Cons

Overworked and not enough time allotted to complete required projects. No watch dog for higher-up management. I was there for over five years, moved many times and was told I would be a DM in "six months".

Advice to Management

More reviews on District and Regional managers. Just because managers are salary exempt does not mean they should be told that anything that cant be done in the required 44 hours requires the MANAGER to work over with no compensation.

3. Fast paced, and fun

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers even some great managers. If you like a challenge and enjoy a fast pace environment this could be the job for you.

Cons

Pay is tight, there is no arguing that. The real problem is there is no downtime even on days off. Constant calls to plan for future projects and any issue a manager decides to address in the moment.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if a day off was a day off.

5. Fun Environment but...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a fun environment, depending on who you work with and who are your superiors. Knowledge of movies and engaging with customers are very fun. Very easy to learn and fast paced environment.

Cons

They act like they have standards for their managers, but sometimes they don't. It took me 3 years to find out that they were paying me the bare minimum and it took heavy convincing for a raise, although, I was working more like manager versus a part-time employee. They also say you can move within in the company but when you are a very good employee, they make false promises and do not move you up within the company. Family Video is going out of business and they're just focusing on their pizza joints.

Advice to Management

Pay is terrible for management and the stress they go through with lazy employees, having to work during holidays, and even commission doesn't help that much. Also, your marketing manager is an idiot and messes up stuff a lot. That's embarrassing.

6. Has its perks

I worked at Family Video full-time

Pros

Works around schedule, opportunity for advancement, commission, fun atmosphere

Cons

Very face paced work most of the time. Open every day of the year, so working holidays happens a lot.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and listen to concerns from employees more often.

7. Good for students with open schedules

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, OH

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, friendly staff, easy to build rapport with regular customers. Start out making more than minimum wage and performance based raises are simple to pass.

Cons

Not understanding of busy schedules outside of work or prior commitments. Some managers and customers are difficult to maintain positive relationships with and shifts can be long (9 hours) with no breaks.

Advice to Management

Add mandatory breaks for certain numbers of hours worked (e.g. 15 minutes per 3 hours)

Awesome idea to work here, then you do..

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Video (More than a year)

Pros

Free pre-streets, (not yet released movies to the public), the customers, the idea of something free with every purchase. Sales atmosphere but it's movies, candy and popcorn. Get some ice cream or a pop, not alot to sell so, getting those goals are very easy.

Cons

Too many to list here.

Advice to Management

Talk to the sales associates in a non-threatening manner. Giving ultimatums of short hours or no pre-streets is very sad. Pre-streets are the first way to let your sales associates learn about the movie and then give the customer great feedback. Shorten hours just lowers morale and thus increasing the turnover rate, which is enormous!! Cash handling needs to be each individual's responsibility, not the entire crew. Safety speaking, there should be two employees close. Last thing, training. More- with leaders that want to teach.

Family Video was one of my first jobs and I still discover just how much I learned there.

I worked at Family Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of hours! If you are a strong worker they will give you an amazing amount of hours. Commission: there are opportunities to earn commission Empowerment: they trust you to run the company And there are few limits when it comes to solving problems

Cons

High turn over. Upper management doesn't expect you to stay so they do not invest in their employees. Payroll: I would often close at midnight by myself, required to take the deposit. Whole business structure could use a revamp. POS is outdated.

10. sales associate

Pros

movies discounts fairly easy job

Cons

standing all the time b

11. Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

flexible scheduling. The environment is nice and relaxed, but if you work at a busier store, much faster pace.

Cons

not enough hours. higher pay. When you're a keyholder you close alone most times, and when the store closes at midnight sometimes it doesn't feel the safest.

Advice to Management

I think raises should be given more frequently. My manager never closes and I wish she would to seem more flexible.

RSS Feed </> Embed