Family Video

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.9

Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 35 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, Friendly, Exhausting

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pekin, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pekin, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a fun place to work, overall. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the staff were helpful during training, management performs regular employee reviews to help encourage growth. The emphasis on sales is great for anyone who is looking to make a career in sales.

Cons

The main con is that there are no set break times. They say that if you need to you can take a break but I found this primarily applies to smoke breaks and bathroom breaks.

Set break times for shifts beyond 4 or 5 hours would be a great place to start. Also, offering leadership training to staff would be great to encourage employees to stick with FV for the long haul.

Store Manager

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Nice and friendly staff. Fun place to work. Most customers are fun to work with.

Cons

As a store manager you have to work 48-50 or more hours a week. Open 365 days a year so you have to work holidays. I was misinformed of a position opening and was then demoted for no reason. Very deceptive district or regional managers.

Manager

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Learned alot about management and business.

Cons

Pay is terrible, hours are terrible, and no flexibility.

Care more about saving a penny than employee safety!

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really liked the fact that in the mornings during the week the company allowed a special needs class to come in and help us around the store. It was a really rewarding experience to help to prepare the students for the workplace.

Cons

Everything at this company is about saving a buck! They are obsessed about their employees clocking in and out at their scheduled times, but expect you to work later than your shift to close the store and do extra tasks off of the clock. Also when closing the store, instead of having a second person there to help out, as well as to increase the security, the typically opt to have only one closer. This is unacceptable, and shows that the company has no care for their employees.

Take less time trying to decipher ways to save a buck and work to enrich your employees. Also, work to grow loyal employees. too many times did I see employees who were stuck in the same position for over 5 years, and no option for growth. There is a lack of training with this company as well.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Customers are great and you really get to know them on a personal level. You learn how to multitask and diffuse situations very quickly. All the employees you work with are genuinely nice, hard working and very intelligent.

Cons

Where to start...

Pay is minimal and not what they advertise.They say 30-40k starting plus profit sharing and bonuses. This is not true at all. Most managers start under 30k and the profit sharing and bonuses are lucky to put you between 30-32k. They will also run promotions that drastically hurt your profitability hence lowering what you make from the profit sharing by thousands of dollars. Promotions should not affect the managers pay in anyway let alone by THOUSANDS of dollars. I'm yet to hear of another company that would do this to their management.

Managers must work 44 hrs minimum. Hours before open and after close don't count. Managers are also required to spend hours buying movies at Walmart and Best Buy off the clock to save the owners' money. They also require each store to do "free" promotional events each month and "volunteer" the employee time. Say goodbye to your real family time.

Advancement is dependent on who you know. Most of the people in charge are incompetent and only there because they are friends with someone or are easy to control by upper management. They also don't help you. They make checklists 5 pages long, leave early for the day and show up 2 days later expecting it done. None of which has any real relevance on customer service or profitability, just cosmetic or to please someones specific tastes.

Staffing is minimal to say the least. Most of the time it is one employee all day long. No one there to even let you use the restroom. Even in bad neighborhoods they will have a female close alone at midnight. The movie buy also increased the amount of work required to get movies out and yet staffing was not increased. This is normal over the years as the amount of responsibilities have grown and staffing has remained the same.

Time off is like pulling teeth. Managers have to work weekends, holidays and some nights. If there is a call-off, the manager must cover the shift if no-one is found since there is not enough staff to be short. The actual website says full-time employees receive 6 "paid days off" for the holidays. This is totally untrue since Family Video is open 365. Full-time gets paid a little extra but are required to work almost every holiday since these are the busiest days of the year. If you are management, good luck getting more then 1 of them off at all.

Treatment of employees is horrible. They are given unrealistic goals, expected to do way too much and grossly underpaid. They barely make minimum wage and can hold their breath on getting a raise. They are basically on-call at all times. They can be made to come in to cover shifts with threat of a writeup. They can be sent home right when they walk through the door because the store is too slow that day. They can then be told to come back after you sent them home. Until recently they were also made to take deposits to the bank after their shift and not be paid for it. This changed after 30 some years and finally a lawsuit.

Lastly, once you do leave, the "Video Store" stigma follows you on your resume. When you interview and you tell them about your last job and how much you actually did and what a great employee you are, they only think "well it was a video store..."

Follow Charlie Hoogland's original model of taking care of employees and they will take care of your business.
    Not the Keith Hoogland model of treating people like garbage to make a buck.

Very Demanding. Understaffed. Underpaid for work done.

I have been working at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Movies. Amazing staff. Great customers. My store manager tries very hard to fairly schedule employees and work around family, school, or second job.

Cons

High turnover. Employees are expected to have computer skills, customer skills, inventory skills, and problem solving skills while being paid minimum wage. Badly understaffed. Employees are expected to take care of customers, process inventory, take inventory, stock inventory, clean, answer phones, while operating a store solo. Store Managers are very stressed out due to unfair expectations, which bleeds down to the staff. Just last week staff were made to feel at fault for the drop in revenue to the store. Isn't that the multi-billion dollar company's job to advertise. Our store ranked in the top 100 in sales percentage then the staff got heckled about the drop in revenue.

Always staff at least 2 people per shift. How can one person operate a store to your sky high expectations while providing excellent customer service? And properly train employees. Managers find this hard to do giving the strict labor rules. Take care of your employees better even if the labor goes up. Stores would look nicer and always be inventoried more accurately.

It's like going to Moron prison every day.

Former Employee - Manager in Webb City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Webb City, OK

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

it's a job.. I'm only writing this because I have to.

Cons

Garbage wages, garbage managers with no education in business or ethics, or basic concept of what makes a productive workplace work. This place feels like its ran by high school jerk offs drunk with power. It's illegal to not allow your employees breaks. Give them a chair to sit on. for freaks sake! I always mixed my break in with a bathroom break and got my required 15 mins... no tells me I can't go to the bathroom.
      I guarantee I could run the company better than the pinheads at the helm now. Just degrading and depressing all the way around. And with streaming from Netflix, Amazon and others, this company is on its last legs and they know it, they are just going to exploit the redneck towns until the very last moment.

Stop being so single-minded and greedy- give some raises, award good workers, schedule them and let them work- don't use the call-in bullcrap. Stop treating your people terrible or risk getting a call from the EEOC. Working off the clock is illegal and unethical.

Can be a good place to work, but it has a lot of flaws.

I worked at Family Video

Pros

I got to work with some great people and was able to work in a fast paced environment. They also put a lot of capability in the employees hands which is nice.

Cons

The hours can be long and you have to frequently work weekends, nights, and holidays because they are open 365 days a year. There is also a lot of turnover in the manager department.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, lots of freedom, fun environment

Cons

Work weeks and nights, little pay

focus on what is really important, there is a lot of extra company wide competitions going on one after another after another

Miserable.... Just Miserable

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None... None... None at all.

Cons

12 hour shifts if your management, no breaks, you have to eat in front of customers, a system of guilting you into working off the clock, buying movies at midnight at local Wal-Marts because they can't work out deals. Upper management boasts about keeping their stores open during snow storms without any concern for employees. Upper management loves to talk about their boat ownership in from of employees working for 23g a year. BAD COMPANY

Family Video Photos