www.familyvideo.com

Updated October 23, 2014
2.8

Family Video Founder & CEO Charlie Hoogland
Charlie Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 33 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 57 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

No clear distinction between Manager and Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was with Family Video for three months. They offer free and half off movie / game rentals for employees. It's also a great place to meet people as you're interacting with customers all day.

Cons

My Family Video Sales Associate position has been the worst job I have ever held. My biggest issue was the lack of distinction between Manager and Sales Associate. Unless I was training, or training someone, I was in the store by myself. This meant that I could not take any bathroom breaks, unless of course you lock the whole store up, which benefits no one in a retail environment. As a Sales Associate, I was given the power of a Manager, with a Sales Associate wage. I would not recommend this position.

As a leader and manager, you need to rethink your priorities with the relationship of a Manager and Associate. With the hiring process for an Associate being so competitive, I would think that would be the same for a Manager. The Manager at my store was so ineffective as a leader and trainer, it was almost pathetic. Several times, our Manager would accuse the employees for lying with zero evidence. In other cases, we as employees would find safety hazards, but were always overlooked by the Manager. For a company that takes so much pride in their hiring process, re-look your Management hiring process and hire competent people.

Fun environment.

Former Employee - Keyholder in Austintown, OH
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Austintown, OH

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, love talking about movies with customers. Becomes like a family.

Cons

Stress of keeping sales up.

Poor Upper level management, minimal room for development

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The positives of working at FV are not exactly few, just not enough to outweigh the cons. First it is a good place to work multiple jobs at because of schedule updating system. Secondly it's a relatively easy job as long as you like walking quite a bit, which I never minded. Lastly having the option to rent some movies for free at the part time level is nice.

Cons

No breaks or sitting time
    Challenging to move up to higher positions
    Laughable commissions ($1 before taxes for the best up sale)
    Low pay
    On call shifts almost always week if not multiple times per week
    Expectation to run cash to the bank or to drive across town to get smaller currency denominations on your dime
    No recognition for achievements from sales or for compliments from customers
    Overworked managers
    Requirement to take hours during holiday seasons

Always remember the little people, they are a good chunk of the reason that customers become regulars or come back in general

Fun, Fast Paced Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Obviously, the best part about working for a video store is you literally watch movies while you work. But Family Video has SO many perks - you earn commission on just about everything you do. There are ways to earn free movie rentals. FV also offers MANY opportunities for advancement. They are very flexible with your schedule and other than customers, I can honestly say I have never experienced any horrors at Family Video.

Cons

Grouchy customers when DVD's don't play or if they have late fees - but Family Video has the best approach to solve those errors! Other than that, It would just have to be late hours and working holidays.

Shorten hours on holidays... that is all.

Pretty good starting point

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Family Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Movies are awesome! I worked in food forever, so it's a major improvement. Customers are still customers, but that's true everywhere, and generally speaking they're better in this environment. Free rentals, chance to pre-screen new movies, plus a lot of the aspects of the job are fun. Very-fast paced, the work is never boring and even a 12 hour shift just flashes by. You get lots of experience that easily transfers to other companies.

Cons

No sitting, and no breaks. The job isn't exactly manual labor in the strict sense, but you will go home with sore feet. The pay isn't stellar...at the management level, it's livable, but you don't make enough to support a family until you're at the district management level. Currently, DM's/RM's are very involved with other non-video branches of the company, and are not as available as they used to be.

Pay your part-time employees more. They're worth hanging onto and shouldn't be treated like fast food employees.

Stay Away!!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Movie Rentals and that's about it.

Cons

Everything Else. Late nights, terrible pay, 15+ Hour days, and they require you to work while not clocked in. Awful experience.

Treat your lower management better and actually pay promised bonuses and commissions.

Dire... just dire. With online streaming and downloading at the fore front, its days are numbered.

I have been working at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's not welfare.. it's not cancer.

Cons

It's not welfare. You would think with all of these bad reviews these morons would get the point and attempt to stop their business model from hemorraging, but they won't, because they are untrained idiots. They don't care about their peopele, they will continue to treat them like trash until someone with guts and brains stops it.

Listen to your people. Don't dry them off with crap hours and worse pay. Honor them, reward them, make a hard worker feel welcomed.

Definitely not worth the pay.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other customer service reps and manager were really nice, they take their time training you, 50% off all of your rentals

Cons

Family Video does not give its employees any breaks and they make you work off the clock a lot! I often had to change the advertising signage outside or run errands for the store before or after clocking out. They are so concerned with payroll that they end up sending workers home nearly every shift. You could be scheduled for 8 hours and only work 2 if the store is slow. You work nearly every shift besides weekends by yourself (even though they tell you in the interview that you'll be working with a team) and management punishes employees for not meeting sales goals (taking away employee discount privileges, cutting shifts, etc.). If you're single, young, or don't have kids then you will unfairly end up working all of the holidays shifts. If you're looking for a raise good luck. McDonalds workers make more. Also, many of the customers are horrible. I've had to clean up human feces, people's vomit, people angry about their late fees, guys harassing me. It's not the best place to work though it seems like it would be an easy job from the outside.

Pay your employees a decent wage. We do a lot of work for minimum wage and no raises. Focus more on the employees and customers instead of only caring about how many discount cards are sold and how many movies go out the door.

Met some great people

Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved 90% of the people I worked with.
    There are lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to put in the time.
    Free rentals
    I would only recommend this company for anyone looking for a part time job.

Cons

A lot of hours for very little pay.
    No base salary raises unless you are moving into a high position. Moving you to a larger store is what they consider a raise. So you end up with more staff, a larger store to maintenance, and not a very big increase in commission.
    Upper management is very good about giving you huge to-do lists but doesn't offer any help or suggestions for getting it done.

Phenomenal customer service and small business management experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Run it like it's your own business.

Cons

You must relocate to advance. Pay isn't that great, hourly salary position.

Reward managers for longevity.

Family Video Photos

Game Room
Family Video
bricks and mortor of movie industry

+ Add Photo