Family Video

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.9

Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public (in 34 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Miserable.... Just Miserable

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None... None... None at all.

Cons

12 hour shifts if your management, no breaks, you have to eat in front of customers, a system of guilting you into working off the clock, buying movies at midnight at local Wal-Marts because they can't work out deals. Upper management boasts about keeping their stores open during snow storms without any concern for employees. Upper management loves to talk about their boat ownership in from of employees working for 23g a year. BAD COMPANY

Can be a good place to work, but it has a lot of flaws.

I worked at Family Video

Pros

I got to work with some great people and was able to work in a fast paced environment. They also put a lot of capability in the employees hands which is nice.

Cons

The hours can be long and you have to frequently work weekends, nights, and holidays because they are open 365 days a year. There is also a lot of turnover in the manager department.

Family Video is a unique, empowered company to work for.

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

Opportunity, Strong and inspiring Senior Leadership team, growth both in company size and personal.

Cons

In my time with the company I have been unable to identify any cons.

Continue to do what you have been doing.

Great job to have as a college student

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free movies - ability to view movies before they release to the public.

Cons

Like any other hourly part time job, you have to compete for hours

Meh...this place is exactly what you think it is before you apply, then you get the job and realize theres alot going on

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People you work with are usually awesome. Great way to connect with your fav films and shows. Nice promotions that encourage interaction with customers.
    Great job for college students or people who are looking to start a career,

Cons

On-call system is king. You may be on call for 4 hours with the potential to only work 2. So your shift is from 12-4 and then on call from 4 to 6. So you don't know if you'll work or not. It all depends on if its been a busy day in which case the computer system will tell you how many people should be in the store at one time.

Pay is minimum. The managers TRY and convince you that with more sales means an eventual pay raise, but it will never come because month to month sales are so unpredictable.

Managers want to tell you how to provide great customer service instead of letting you be yourself with the customers. Why go thru an interview process if you are going to nitpick how employees say hi to customers? They want you to say hi loud enough so everyone in the store can hear you. So you are not really greeting the customer like a regular human being so much as you are letting them know you saw them enter the store by yelling HELLO as loud as possible.

If you want this to be your career, you are almost guaranteed to have to move to another state more than once as part of your career path.

Business casual on weekdays, tie on weekend....you dress this way to rent kids movies and hassle ppl for late fees.

Diversity in the workplace is key. There are too many girls, and not in a good way!!

That on call system has to go. Just have people work their shifts. Dont have your employees in limbo waiting to get a call from hour to hour until the manager calls to say "I need you for 2 hours"
    Tell the district/regional managers to let their store employees be themselves. Dont act impressed with a person's customer service skills and engaging personality and free spirit in the interview just to then tell them how to talk to and greet people.

Over worked without the pay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fulton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fulton, MO

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly fun atmosphere and good people
    Fast paced and not boring
    Will work with school schedule
    Pretty good with giving requested off days

Cons

Long shifts with no breaks
    Job encompasses all roles from customer service rep to repairman etc
    Often given more responsibility without a pay raise
    Will work late shift alone
    On feet for 8 to 10 hours most of the time
    Not a lot of leeway if have a personal emergency and can't come in

Treat your staff better because they work hard and deserve the compensation. Actually give them breaks on long shifts.

Good but not great.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people in a fun atmosphere. Family run business so the company encourages you to take care of your customers and see to it they leave with a smile on their face.

Cons

Underpaid when compared to Store Managers at other companies. They talk up quarterly bonuses but the company puts such harsh rules to hit the bonuses most can't. They ask that you work 44 "open" hours, so you only get paid what you work while your store is open for business. Doesn't seem that bad but when your clocking 50-55 hours a week but getting no extra pay you really notice it.

I've suggested multiple times, change 44 open to 44 hours with 40 of those as open hours. I get you don't want a store manager working hours while the store isn't open but any good manager isn't showing up as it's time to unlock the door. It's really hard to tell my family that my family based employer is making me work 6-7 days per week because of the hours they don't pay me for.

Terrible place to work

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just about the only pros for this job is the free movies and the flexible hours.

Cons

I worked at Family Video for almost a year - never once heard anything about a raise. Halfway through my year there, they switched our store managers and the new one simply began trying to push all of the old employees out. Upper management (district and regional) only wanted her to become manager because she's nice to look at but is in fact a terrible manager. Despite having a high sales percentage and getting everything done, they "let me go based on my sales performance," which is completely insane considering everything I did. At the same time I was fired, the one other person that was left over from the other store manager was fired as well - so now that store manager as a completely new staff. The turnover rate at Family Video is completely insane for how good of a job it is. At one point, I asked the District manager about moving up in the company and taking an MIT job, at which time he actually just never called me back. The store I was at is failing so I wouldn't recommend this being your first choice to work at.

Be more adamant about who you choose to run your stores - the store I was at has a customer complain almost daily about the manager and since Family Video is supposedly adamant about customer service, that many complaints should raise a red flag. Teach your Distrisct and Regional manager better because the ones I came in contact with were absolutely horrendous. I will not only be recommending people don't work here, I'll be recommending everyone I know to not even spend their money here any longer.

Such a disappointment

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, pre streets...not much else

Cons

Low pay, very poor management, CEO is incredibly selfish, and overall UNPROFESSIONAL

Consider giving some more raises, appreciate your store managers because they work their butts off for you and you think everyone is just replaceable. Take out the disgusting men who work there and are inappropriate with the girls. DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU DONT MIND BEING SEXUALLY HARASSED!!!

No clear distinction between Manager and Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was with Family Video for three months. They offer free and half off movie / game rentals for employees. It's also a great place to meet people as you're interacting with customers all day.

Cons

My Family Video Sales Associate position has been the worst job I have ever held. My biggest issue was the lack of distinction between Manager and Sales Associate. Unless I was training, or training someone, I was in the store by myself. This meant that I could not take any bathroom breaks, unless of course you lock the whole store up, which benefits no one in a retail environment. As a Sales Associate, I was given the power of a Manager, with a Sales Associate wage. I would not recommend this position.

As a leader and manager, you need to rethink your priorities with the relationship of a Manager and Associate. With the hiring process for an Associate being so competitive, I would think that would be the same for a Manager. The Manager at my store was so ineffective as a leader and trainer, it was almost pathetic. Several times, our Manager would accuse the employees for lying with zero evidence. In other cases, we as employees would find safety hazards, but were always overlooked by the Manager. For a company that takes so much pride in their hiring process, re-look your Management hiring process and hire competent people.

Family Video Photos