Family Video Reviews

Reset

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Castle, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Castle, PA

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gained some great friends from my co-workers. It is a relaxed atmosphere and you gain quite a bit of experience.

Cons

The hours were not that great with most stores closing at midnight. It was also difficult scheduling sometimes and you would be scheduled 20+ hours as part time or only one 3 hour shift a week.

Alot of stress

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, IL

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fast track career opportunities

Cons

very long to do list, til midnight schedules by yourself, no positive motivation given

3. Meh

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Swansea, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Swansea, IL

I worked at Family Video (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission on top of base pay. My store manager was super nice but the GM and DM are both duche bags

Cons

Management is horrible... No room for advancement at all.

Stay Away From This Company

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Family Video (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company use to be a great place to work in the early 2000's. It changed to a cut throat, awfully run, joke around 2008.

Cons

Way to many to list.

6. Eh

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Toledo, OH

Pros

Family video was nice because of my coworkers. Also the scheduling was terrible although it definitely could have used some work.

Cons

Supervisor was honestly awful. He would gossip about employees over the email that EVERYONE had access too. Also not very good hours. This is not the kind of job you want if you actually have bills and kids.

Advice to Management

Hire a supervisor that will put out flames in the workplace. Not fuel them. This was a big reason for me leaving there.

7. Good starting job

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

Fun Company, good pay, growing opputrunities, great upper management

Cons

Salary pay requires 44-48 minimum hours a week with late hours

Family Video was one of my first jobs and I still discover just how much I learned there.

I worked at Family Video (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of hours! If you are a strong worker they will give you an amazing amount of hours. Commission: there are opportunities to earn commission Empowerment: they trust you to run the company And there are few limits when it comes to solving problems

Cons

High turn over. Upper management doesn't expect you to stay so they do not invest in their employees. Payroll: I would often close at midnight by myself, required to take the deposit. Whole business structure could use a revamp. POS is outdated.

Under paid, under appreciated too much BS

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with movies is fun, the customers are pleasant, commissions are okay.

Cons

Let's talk about the things you don't get paid for! They expect you to work volunteer hours, for example I worked 2:30-8:30pm at our local fair in out Family Video booth without being paid. When we don't get movies in stock, we are required to volunteer our time in the early morning to go to walmart and buy them with the store card. The on call shifts take the majority of your day, I've had one that lasted 3-10pm before, they give you thirty minutes to get to the store. So the entire time you're waiting around in your work clothes waiting for them to call you. They are super strict on payroll, if you're a midshift forget working more than 3-4 hours a night. They expect you to get to the store 20 minutes before your shift to count your drawer, without being paid. When you travel for the store with other managers you're only paid the time youre at the location, not the time you drove there.THIS IS ALL WHILE BEING PAID 7.65 AN HOUR. They don't train you, rather walk you through how to close or open for about 20 minutes and then expect you to do it flawlessly first time you do it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard managers speaking badly about employees in front of employees.

Advice to Management

Pay up, we're required to take a test when hired to prove we are competent, why not get paid like we are?

10. sales associate

Pros

movies discounts fairly easy job

Cons

standing all the time b

11. Horrible Pay, Management Hit or Miss

Pros

Some movies are free, depends on how long they have been out. Get to view others before released to public. Some commission on snacks.

Cons

Open until midnight 365 Days a year, pay just barely above minimum wage, require you to wear dress clothes with a tie on weekends and business casual during the week. Keep in mind you are wearing these clothes while sweating and running around. Previous manager was alright, new manager came in and texted employees off the clock to reprimand them about movies being in the wrong case, if employees tried to give her good feedback on things they liked, she told employees it didn't matter what they thought because she was going to do whatever she wanted anyways. So many terrible things, long story short, depends on the manager. Also hound you about donation drives.

Advice to Management

Reduce hours or increase pay. Loosen up on the dress code. Advise your managers to treat their employees better and coach/train them on policy instead of assuming they've been trained when there hadn't been a steady GM during their hiring time.

RSS Feed </> Embed