Family Video

Updated September 17, 2014
2.8

Family Video Founder & CEO Charlie Hoogland
Charlie Hoogland

Pros
  • You get to rent free movies, that MAY not be so badly scratched that they are unreadable (in 26 reviews)

• Free rentals for managers and some staff if meets store/managers goals (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks, unappreciated by upper-level management, high turnover rates, low pay (in 51 reviews)

• Upper management can be cliquey, so be careful if they do not like you (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Family Video

Pros

The other employees were usually great to work with. We all got along great. Looked out for one another. One employee was great. I was scheduled to work on a day that a blizzard hit. It was put as a state of emergency. And there was no way I could get out. Yes the store was still open. But he called and said he would take my shift so I didn't have to come out.

Cons

Everything else. Management is horrible. They think they are God. Literally my manager was always preaching to us. I didn't find that very professional whatsoever. Then my manager and I started the problems. During one of my evaluations I was told that my regular manager would not be showing up bc she was disgusted with all of us. She had her favorites. Would love to talk about the other employees to everyone else. I was shifted from store to store. Started out at 30-32 hrs a week a day went down to about 5. That was the even enough for my gas. Finally when I got a text message from another store manager saying no one wants me in their store bc it was leaked that I would be replacing another manager all hell hit the fan. I quit. I couldn't deal with all the drama anymore. It was too much. Too many promises. Safety concerns were bad. We worked in a bad part of town. The back doors never locked. I had a man sit and wait in the parking lot for me to where cops need to escort me off the premises on several different occasions. I would have my husband meet me at work when I would close bc I feared for my safety. A day when I brought it up to the manager they said there was nothing they really could do. It was just too much stuff that was not worth the time. Now it's been about 6 months I go for another interview. I was told that family video said I was in an altercation with a manager and do not hire me. Oh how I loved cling them up and telling them hey I have your text messages that your manager so that me. If you want a job from them think long and hard

Make sure when you are hiring people you tell them the truth. Don't lie and say you can easily move up in the company because you know that is a flat out lie. Make sure your employees get a lunch or a break bc legally you can be turned in for not letting us

Well managed, easy to work your way up with some hard work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oxford, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oxford, OH

I have been working at Family Video part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for starting out. Lots of locations and most managers are willing to work with the employees

Cons

Pay is not the greatest, management can be vastly different from store to store.

Pay your good employees better and give better incentive programs. Figures used to evaluate employees are based on sales but the sales that the company focus on are usually the ones that offer less commission to the employees.

It's not worth it man, hang in there.

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Movies that play on the tv , but you'll be to busy face fronting CANDY.

Cons

The hiring process, the after process. Not trying to sound like a "Debbie downer" but 6 Flags was more rewarding..6 Flags :/

Did you brown nose every and anyone to get where you are buddy?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People make all the difference

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Leitchfield, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leitchfield, KY

I worked at Family Video part-time for less than a year

Pros

The overall job was really great. There's always something there to keep you busy. The rush isn't difficult and you never really feel too much pressure from customers--a definite plus.

Cons

The upper management for my particular store was awful. When I was hired they did not spend very much time on my training and it didn't even get completed. There was a lot that I was left not knowing how to do, such as inventory and certain cash register function. The on-call shifting was terrible because of the 'running a 1, 2, or 3' system. It's a problem from the employees as It's not fair to make them waste their entire day sitting by the phone wondering if they'll even get to work that day or not.

Please take better care of your smaller stores and make sure people are actually running them well. Eliminate that "1, 2, 3" system for deciding how many employees work.

Flexible, Nice Environment, MOVIES

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier  in  Fort Dodge, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Family Video part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to grow in this company. The customers for the most part are get-in, get-out but it is easy to please there. Plus, movie discounts and pizza. Super awesome. Nice commission.

Cons

A challenge would include meeting goals that at times aren't realistic. The hiring process is also an adventure due to a requirement of a test and two interviews.

Wow that tasted awful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Family Video full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't think of a thing.

Cons

Difficult interview process due to multiple days needed to complete everything required of the stupendously overworked manager, employees that don't want u there because you are cutting into their hours and therefore treat you like less than dirt and refuse to acknowledge your questions or belittle you for asking. It is quite obvious that the employees mean less than nothing as this is typical from what I have since learned. Also, they have a practice in place that requires the employee to call prior to some shifts to see if they are needed, shoots a day all to heck when you cannot tell people whether or not you are working!

District and store managers......get it together, you leave people hanging routinely. Managers should have final say as to who they have working in their stores, that way they won't feel "saddled" with someone who is not their first pick!

Overall my experience has been really good! I love the people I work with and the job is usually very laid back!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Video part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the people (customers and co-workers) and the work environment! We always have lots of fun together while making sure all our work gets done.

Cons

Don't get a lot of hours just like all other retail jobs! I do feel as though the pay rate could be raised as well because, at times, we do a lot of work that we should be better compensated for!

Don't hire so many people so the rest of us can get more hours! We need the money too!

Great Place

Current Employee - Manager  in  West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in West Bend, WI

I have been working at Family Video full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive but fair. They've treated me well so far. It's easy work, but it can be too easy sometimes. I enjoy the team I work with.

Cons

We need to think of better ways to fight the competition. Ask the local managers and employees for more ideas. Seems like people are always looking for something better.

More incentives for all levels in the company. It'd be great to retain people longer.

It can be a rough job

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

Free movies all the time. Potential to grow with the company, although it doesn't seem that they are looking to promote from within very often.

Cons

Must work a minimum of 44 hours and they expect you to work no less than 47 for the same pay. I live 45 minutes away from my location, and can not move because I may not be staying at my location for much longer. I was told I would know within 2 weeks and without notice the 2 weeks became 3 months.

Do what you say you are going to do and come to the store when you say you are going to.

Don't

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lockport, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lockport, NY

I worked at Family Video full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interaction with customers, fun coworkers, some commission, flexible hours

Share the wealth

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!