Famous Dave's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Ed Rensi

Pros
  • It was a very fun atmosphere, all of the employees where so welcoming and helpful (in 6 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, laid back uniform (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Wouldn't be surprised if him and the other rich old men running the board put the company up for sale soon (in 4 reviews)

1. Dish Washer

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other co-workers including the managers help you out in the Dish area, when you get behind. Everyone there had a really cool attitude and zero drama. Great place to work at.

Cons

None, everyone including the managers were very nice to me.

2. Great First Job

Pros

Fun training, friendly environment great food. Was my first job when the power and light opened. Had busy nights with concerst, good tips.

Cons

No room for growth, Low pay

Advice to Management

None

3. Former Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Famous Dave's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Famous Dave's BBQ has excellent room for advancement of their employees.

Cons

Can not think of any cons off had

5. Famous Dave's El Paso, TX

Former Employee - Server in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Server in El Paso, TX

I worked at Famous Dave's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was flexible with work schedule, and you were able to pick up more shifts if desired.

Cons

Management were immature. They would have their select favorites, and would treat some employees differently if one of their friends didn't like them. It was just high school drama all over again.

It's not the worst.... but by far not the best

Former Employee - Host/ToGo in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Host/ToGo in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Famous Dave's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part for me is my coworkers, the only reason I look forward to working, is to show up and see my support system. Almost all of them I would consider a friend. So it's a really friendly environment. For Togo, you get decent pay, minimum wage plus whatever you make in tips. But, most people don't know to tip the togo person, but it works out and you usually leave with about $10-$50 in your pocket.

Cons

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. The managers never communicate so it's nearly impossible to get a straight answer about anything. Also, there are NO benefits to working here. Besides the 50% off up to $7 and only on certain things that they decide if you should get a discount or not.

Advice to Management

Communication is key to productivity. If you expect your staff to run smoothly and communicate seamlessly, you need to set the example!

7. Good job but...

Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Aurora, CO

I worked at Famous Dave's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few of the Managers, co-workers, and possible income from working in multiple departments. The pay was OK. The culture was different than other chain stores where I have worked, was inclusive and a little kooky, the dress code was relaxed where you could wear jeans to work, and the training program was excellent. Hi Fives and acting skills are mandatory.

Cons

While I was working there we had high turnover with new people hired after the 1st mass hiring event. There were no pay increases now matter how long you worked there.Your laundry bill will go up and have to invest $$ into extra shirts, jeans, and laundry detergent because no matter how hard you try you will get BBQ sauce on your clothes every shift. Management was very demanding and unreasonable unless you fit into an approved personality box -it was very small. Not allowed to wear gloves while handling sanitation chemicals which was recommended by the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) because of possible customer perceptions issues. Moving to new positions or management would take forever with slim chance of it happening at all. The culture and your compliance to it was heavy handed and mandatory.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation programs of substance and the possibility of pay increases based on performance would have kept the high turnover rate lower. Going softer on the cultural requirements placed on employees and management would have reduced everyone's stress levels without reducing the brand. Customers were constantly asking if we had something on the menu that did not have HF corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, and non cross contaminated gluten free or gluten free certified offerings.

8. Good casual restaurant serving job.

Pros

Great coworkers in FOH. If you show up on time and ready to serve, you can make decent money. For a professional server who knows to leave your baggage at the door, this is a great job. If you are reliable and do good work, you will get good hours.

Cons

Like all serving jobs, some days are better than others. Kitchen staffing issues can lead to long ticket times on busy nights.

Advice to Management

CEO took away the blues, wants conveyor ovens like Red Robin. Dave's is not about mass-produced crap. It's about hand-seasoned, smoked-in-house, amazing BBQ.

9. So-so

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Famous Dave's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The food is good and sells itself. Great happy hour and management is there to help make you better.

Cons

Not very busy at my store. Servers aren't required to tip bartenders out (usually never do) you have to run around like a maniac just to make a hundred bucks.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring incompetent people for FOH positions.

10. Bartender

Pros

Great working with staff, great discount, fast paced and always way to sell more to get more tips.

Cons

Management is not organized and lots of drama

Advice to Management

Be managers not coworkers

11. Server

Current Employee - Server in Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Famous Dave's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy money Good food Some regular customers TIPS Store hours aren't bad

Cons

Not enough hours , always getting cut Worst uniforms hopefully new CEO will bring back old ones

Advice to Management

NEW professional management!!

RSS Feed </> Embed