Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

Ed Rensi

Pros
  • Family Oriented and fun to work at (in 4 reviews)

• Being "Famous", working in a great team environment, fun atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Franchise versus corporate mentality seems detrimental to positive results (in 4 reviews)

• Watch as he and his buddies, on the board put it up for sale (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to make good tips!

Current Employee - Bartender  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Bartender in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Famous Dave's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Casual, fast paced environment. easy to get shifts covered

Cons

Not very much teamwork happening. Lots of managment changes

Company going through transition

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great quality food, Great culture

Cons

Poor leadership. Too many C/M/O shifts. Bonus for Managers cut in half.

Consistant training of all levels of management.

Manager

Current Employee - Server  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment to work in.

Cons

Low wage for management team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Server  in  Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Server in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place for college students or someone who needs a flexible schedule. The tips are decent and this is a great part time job.

Cons

It is easy to get burnt out as a server, but that is true for any food service establishment and also depends on the location.

I had a good time working there

Former Employee - Server  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Famous Dave's part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a decent place to make friends with other employees, and doesn't feel too competitive. I worked at one of the first Dave's though so it was a bit different in how we handled the restaurant. It was a laid back environment.

Cons

Learning everything right away is hard because the menu is quite big and people can be picky but I think that comes with working at any restaurant. Didn't really have problems with my boss.

Appreciate employees a little more, that's about it.

I loved working here

Former Employee - Server/Bartender  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Famous Dave's full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a very fun atmosphere, all of the employees where so welcoming and helpful.

Cons

like any resturant customers can be a pain.

Used to be a great company with wonderful culture and values

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Famous Dave's full-time

Pros

It used to be a fun company with a great work life environment. The culture was based on employee input and creative decision making to put out the best product out there. Or at least it used to be...

Cons

The current CEO, Ed Rensi, is ruining the brand. He had fired almost all of the executive team as well as Famous Dave, himself. He runs the place like a tyrant and everyone that works at corporate is looking over their shoulders and worried about their jobs. Wouldn't be surprised if him and the other rich old men running the board put the company up for sale soon. Such a shame. If I were a franchiser or investor I would be VERY worried.

Ed Rensi is destroying a fantastic brand and company

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have loved my job and was proud of the brand I sold. Use to have great bonus and felt secure with this company. Sales were great and the rewards and security was amazing. Notice I say "was!"

Cons

The new CEO Ed Resni has forced 90% of the corporate staff who have been with this company over 15 years out, Director of operations fired, COO forced to resign after 16 years with the company, forced area directors and even Dave Anderson himself our of the company. He rearranged the bonus plan making it almost impossible to bonus forcing many managers to quit because our salaries are lower based on the old bonus plan. Without that we are struggling. He is taking away everything that has made Famous Dave's Famous. Sales all across the company have dropped. Stocks have fallen. He has destroyed morale and considering this company's average manager has 10 or more years with Dave's, this is devastating to this company. He wants to take slow smoked BBQ and turn it into an assembly line. He wants this company to be like a Chipolte rather than a family friendly casual dining restaurant. This use to be a company who cared about their employees, but no more. Based out of Minnesota, he is slowly changing and basing the company out of Chicago, recruiting all yes men who are afraid to speak up and firing anyone who has an opinion different than his. Not exactly the company you want to work for.

The investors need to open their eyes and say enough is enough. What this man is planning on doing will completely destroy this company. Catering sales, dine in sales all down. What is wants to do will cost millions and will destroy the fan base that we have established over the years. You are losing some of the most hardworking and dedicated managers and staff out there. Please boot this fool before it is too late! This is not McDonalds. Any CEO who calls all his area directors from across the country to a company meeting and spends two hours talking about how to clean a bathroom and what brooms to use has some serious issues. He throws 101 ideas out and acts without thinking any of them through. For anyone thinking of opening a franchise, becoming a manager or even being a server, I would strongly suggest against it due to Mr. Rensi tyrant way of running this corporation. It is really sad and heart breaking what he has done to this company in just a few months.

Wouldn't recommend to hourly or management

I have been working at Famous Dave's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None anymore, Ed Rensi has destroyed the brand and morale in less than a year in his command. Imagine what's to come, can you say Applebee's food with a Buffalo Wild Wings design.

Cons

Our CEO. Old CEO John Gilbert is the one that set the stocks climbing. Rensi is just riding on those coat tails. Watch as he and his buddies, on the board put it up for sale.

Update the resume.

Great Place to be

I worked at Famous Dave's

Pros

Nice Pay, not busy. The staff is very nice and can act as family sometimes. They are very welcoming and there is not steep learning curve.

Cons

Staff may have a lot of problems. Management was pretty good. They are lenient and try to hep you get the schedule you want.

Worked for Famous Dave's? Contribute to the Community!