Fannie Mae

Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos

Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance(in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business(in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school(in 11 reviews)

People Manager Technology

ProsChallenges that keep me expanding my knowledge, opportunities for growth and flexible work hours

ConsOld technology, big organization and lack of clear strategic path. No more new development, only enhancement to existing legacy products.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide cross functional opportunities to employees - for example business should spend time with technology to learn their perspective. Development should work with Production Support to understand their daily life and vice versa.

A good place to work

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI worked in Fannie mae Capital Market Business to Technology Division as a consultant almost an year till april of 2013. work was busy but was not overwhelming and was reasonably assigned. Nice and relaxed environment with support from manager. I think fannie mae still offers one of the best benefit packages in the market. I would certainly recommend this company to a friend.

ConsCannot think of anything at the moment.

It was a great experience to enhance my skills.

ProsGreat work/life balance, people, college grant of 10K a year, sick days.

ConsThis is one of the best companies that I have worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Fannie Mae was a very good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe pay rate, medical coverage, number of vacation days and overall culture was very good.

ConsThere were a number of managers who were inept and should never have been given the title of manager, but I have a feeling that it's that way on any big company you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything in general was good, no big complaints.

Fannie Mae is GREAT!

Applications Quality Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSalary, benefits, volunteer hours without vacation, work-life balance, flexibility

ConsSlow to promote, old technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure employees feel appreciated and assure them of growth.

A good company if you know what you're getting into

Non Technical PM III (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsFannie Mae has dug itself out of the hole it found itself in a few years ago. If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance. The hours on the non-tech side are not very onerous and depending on your manager, working from home is a distinct possibility. Compensation seems to be above average, though not stellar.

ConsThis is not the place for someone looking to move quickly. Both in their day to day work, and their career mobility.

It is very process heavy, though they're trying to reduce that a bit.

In the division in which I work, there is not a lot of risk-taking or ownership. Particularly at mid-level mgmt, there seems to be a lot of risk aversion. It's understandable, given the company's history, but it's frustrating.

I would guess that the federal government is going to milk Fannie and Freddie for all they, and not turn them back to their shareholders any time soon. Which means even more risk-aversion and a government worker attitude.

Half the people I work with have PMPs. And most of those people are not really project managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get out from under the FHFA's thumb. They will always regulate us, but they are (micro-) managing every aspect of the organization.

Take bold steps, but think on them before acting. More and more re-orgs don't improve morale.

Difficult with so many management changes

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDepending on the area you work in it can be a great experience. Good benefits and compensation. People really committed to housing affordability.

ConsSome managers play favorites and don't try to develop others and support them becoming successful. It's either you are part of the favored few or you are on the outside looking in.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should hire and train executives who are committed to developing their people. Doesn't mean they shouldn't move out those who can't or don't perform. It just shouldn't always be about the manager's career to the exclusion of the staff's'.

Enter at your own risk

ProsGood work - life balance
    Most of the people are smart, hard working

ConsMost people managers have no clue how to manage people or workflows. FM promotes people with no management skills and has no plan to train these people.
    The culture is stuck in the 1990's and isn't changing
    There are a lot of people that are underemployed (have time and capacity to do more), but management refuses to acknowledgement that point.
    Too much internal focus and not enough customer focus

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't as smart as you think you are
    The culture isn't changing although you spend a lot of $$ talking about it
    You have gotten way too arrogant with the shift in the market the last couple years. You aren't that good
    The "one size fits all" management strategy doesn't work well

Wish I never left...

NUC Review Appraiser (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsExcellent 401K and bonus plans, tuition reimbursement, strong organizational focus, fantastic people, and management focuses on developing people from within.

Cons1. As with most large corporations, red-tape can sometimes slow things down.
    2. Constant 'noise' from the idiot senators and such about shutting them down makes for morale issues at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency into department goals would be good.

Data Management Analyst II

Data Management Analyst II (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosif you want to retire and dont worry about your pay check growth that inturn reflects in your personal and professional growth and development, this is a best place to hang out. If you are good in spending your whole day,week and months in meeting rooms and provide lip service, awesome place to stay.

ConsNot at all a place for any sane professional to grow. Full of politics. Re orgs happens like evry day meetings. If you wanna go on depression pills, please join this company. Filled with full of soccer moms and movie dadys.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up professionally and learn some skills to lead

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!