Fannie Mae

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos

Tim Mayopoulos

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for overall!!

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work/life balance, smart people, dynamic environment with great growth opportunities
Leadership is constantly trying to improve; Open communication

ConsRegulator controlled environment, Outdated technology and system issues
Some groups may not be managed very effectively

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce coaching culture for more openness and trust among employees and managers

Changing company

Non-technical Project Manager III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood established company with good benefit structure

ConsThey are going through a complete change.

management is does not care about employees only numbers and not making them look bad

Credit Risk Analyst II (Former Employee)

I worked at Fannie Mae as an intern for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market

Consrevolving door for employees; sweat shop and corporate bullies. Will not promote qualified employees only friends. Low moral

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement makes unrealistic demands on employees; management needs to be educated in time management. They do not know how long it takes to complete a task therefore, make unreasonable quotas.

My overall experience with FNMA was great, however, the department I was in, Management was horrible.

Property Cost Management Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWonderful company, great benefits, good pay.

ConsManagement not very effective, not trained or qualified for job responsibility of title.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir is no management style, ineffective, unprofessional, care more about office politics then the employee.

Temporary Contractor as Operations Valuations Specialist

Senior Operations Specialist -- Valuations (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

ProsDiversified work environment with great employees open to new ideas or answer questions.

ConsAs a Temporary Contractor, no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should provide more feedback to temporary contract employees in order to let them know how they are performing and that their work meets the quality standards and metrics. All employees, permanent or temporary, need to know that they are contributing to the overall success of Fannie Mae and that their efforts are appreciated.

Excellent company, gained great knowledge and experience, impact to the community

Pre Rental Specialist/Project Specialist (Former Employee)
Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor for less than a year

ProsContributing to protecting the consumer

Conshard to get hired permanently

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees and don't overload current employees

Great company with exceptional benfits

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic opportunities to learn and grown. Great compensation with incredible benefits that include all of the regulars plus matching 401k and a lot of vacation time.

ConsLike any corporate environment, it can sometimes feel like buracracy rules the roost; but, that is on a team to team basis. If you get with the right manager, the environment is great.

Surprised at how well-run this company is.

Business Analyst I (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely professional organization. The people are very well-qualified and dedicated to their mission. Fascinating to see the internals of how the mortgage industry actually works in this country. Fannie Mae has been unfairly vilified as a cause of the mortgage collapse. In fact, they are required to buy loans sight-unseen from the originators, which provided a great opportunity for fraudulent mortgage brokers. Why the law was written like that is an enduring mystery! Finally, it is a very diverse workforce demographically.

ConsThe employee evaluation system for non-managers is arranged so that 50% of the evaluation is based on a "360 degree" view, and only 50% on quality of work -- meaning that non-managers must be popular to stay. When coupled with the HR "stacking" policy in which the bottom 5% of the staff is targeted for termination each year, and the heavy emphasis on using contractors and term employees, the result is that the permanent employee cadre are very homogenous in outlook and style of thought. Which is ironic, since the demographics are quite varied.

So, unfortunately, conformity is rampant, and divergent thinking isn't encouraged. Also, the dominant culture is one of brevity in speech -- "it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." The result is a certain type of group-think, which is one of the reasons (I believe) why the organization was so easily defrauded by Countrywide and other bad actors who sold them completely bogus mortgages.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess group-think. Get rid of the "stacking" of employees -- just about everyone is highly qualified, no need to shave off the bottom 5 - 10% every year. It encourages unfortunate and sometimes vicious competition internally, to little purpose.

Flag Review

Fannie Mae Representative responded to this review

Feb 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to review the company. We will pass this along to Senior Management.

Excellent benefits. Bad management.

Addison, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Excellent benefits. Truly outstanding.
-Decent pay.
-Opportunity to set own work hrs.
-Not typically micro-managed.
-Occasional opportunties to work overtime, and earn some extra pay.
-Monthy appt set in stone with manager to discuss any concerns, etc. (though concerns are noted, unfortunately, they are rarely acted upon).
-Can wear jeans all through the summer months, and business casual at other times.

Cons-Extremely poor, inconsistent, ineffectual managers who burden some of their long term, hard working employees with the work other, less focused individuals (many, but NOT all, are contractors) can't be bothered to complete. Management finds it easier to overburden their established hard workers, than to actually be the bad guy and hold the slackers accountable.

-Team lead positions, which pay a premium, are something of a joke. All employees, with exception of leads, had to do an accounting of how, literally, every minute of their typical work day is spent. Why? Is this because majority of the team leads day is spent wandering around laughing with the people they 'lead', in between hanging out in bosses office talking smack about these very same people? I wouldn't want to account for that either.

-Raises not being provided every year, and when they are, they are an extremely small percentage.

-No morale building activities which are so desperately needed these days. When I first started working for Fannie Mae, we were shown often how much we were appreciated. They would buy us lunch/ice cream, have small parties when goals were met, monthly birthday parties. Now we are rewarded by being allowed to wear jeans here and there, something which costs the company absolutely nothing. That's it. Big fun.

-Upper management that is never seen or heard from, though located just a floor above. Upper mgmt was in our department recently for the first time in over a year and a half; I was flabbergasted to see them. How can they effectively lead employees they don't even know?

-It is not an environment for professionals. I am surrounded all day by fellow employees who think nothing of making upwards of ten personal calls a day I am forced to listen to, etc, etc etc. In my previous long term position with another company, this would NOT have been tolerated and resulted in dismissal, yet it runs rampant here...completely unchecked.

-Does not provide adequate resources in which to do my job. I had a piece of equipment stop working that was vital to using my computer, and the IT guy said that Fannie Mae doesn't replace those. What?!! I am now supposed to buy my own computer equipment?! The computers are forever having issues, because they are in constant use and years and years old. It is hard to effectively do your job, when you can't rely on your equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to pay close attention to what I have relayed in the 'con' section and take action. I am a full time employee of many years, one of your hardest workers, and I will be leaving the company in the next few months. I'm heading to a new state and hopefully a position with a company where I am respected and valued.

Flag Review

Fannie Mae Representative responded to this review

Feb 4, 2014

We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and into consideration. We will pass along your review to Senior Management. Thank you.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood working culture and Good environment

ConsNothning to say bad about Fannie Mae

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Fannie Mae Videos

Fannie Mae – Why Work for Us?

We are looking for employees who are intent on helping us achieve something remarkable. Since 2009, we have made tremendous progress in turning our company around, responding to an unprecedented housing crisis… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fannie Mae reviews and ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Fannie Mae employees.