Fannie Mae

Updated December 9, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Fannie Mae was a very good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay rate, medical coverage, number of vacation days and overall culture was very good.

Cons

There were a number of managers who were inept and should never have been given the title of manager, but I have a feeling that it's that way on any big company you work for.

Everything in general was good, no big complaints.

Disappointing yet enlightening at why we have such problems in this industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

As always, the people I worked with are great folks. I miss them a lot but had to move on to maintain my sanity.

Cons

They do one thing well: loan evaluation and processing. Everything else--all their supporting services--are either run by people who were on the mortgage side of things or were hired by mortgage people who do not know how to hire for supporting services. As an employee, if your expertise is in your career area rather than mortgages, your educated suggestions are not valued--much like it might be to work in a law firm in IT, I imagine, except that loan processors don't get paid as well. The company culture was more like a high school than a business. I observed favoritism, territorialism, disrespect, and misplaced priorities and heard about abuse of power. Oh--high security. Security guards at every door. They walk the floor checking everyone's laptops to make sure they are cable-locked. You get in big trouble if they are not locked in place. If only they paid as much attention to their non-loan related business processes as they do to security! There are a couple of wicked-smart people who still work there, and some of them are dear friends, but I don't understand why they are still there. The place needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

1. Hire someone at the top of their game to head up IT who will manage software development properly. 2. The mortgage side (the "business side") *cannot* have the final say on every decision. It leads to corrupt thinking--no, not criminally corrupt thinking--day-to-day business practices depend on relationships and being able to negotiate design decisions, schedules, deliverables, quality, etc. on a reasonably level playing field. The biz side knows they will win every dispute, so it makes for bad negotiations and worse decisions. They do not respect the expertise of the other party.

Fannie Mae Response

Sep 17, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and will pass your feedback to Senior ... More

Unorganized from the top

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance and benefits

Cons

Constant changes, workloads due to constant changes without adequate thought process, limited advancement.

Follow through on projects before redirecting changes are made

Wish I never left...

Former Employee - NUC Review Appraiser in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - NUC Review Appraiser in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent 401K and bonus plans, tuition reimbursement, strong organizational focus, fantastic people, and management focuses on developing people from within.

Cons

1. As with most large corporations, red-tape can sometimes slow things down.
    2. Constant 'noise' from the idiot senators and such about shutting them down makes for morale issues at times.

A little more transparency into department goals would be good.

Difficult work environment

Former Employee - Reo in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Reo in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is good. Benefits are very good.

Cons

Extremely difficult work environment. Government mentality with excessive restrictions and out of date and poorly documented systems make it very difficult to accomplish tasks.

management is does not care about employees only numbers and not making them look bad

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market

Cons

revolving door for employees; sweat shop and corporate bullies. Will not promote qualified employees only friends. Low moral

management makes unrealistic demands on employees; management needs to be educated in time management. They do not know how long it takes to complete a task therefore, make unreasonable quotas.

Changing company

Current Employee - Non-Technical Project Manager III in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Non-Technical Project Manager III in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good established company with good benefit structure

Cons

They are going through a complete change.

Great company to work for overall!!

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, smart people, dynamic environment with great growth opportunities
    Leadership is constantly trying to improve; Open communication

Cons

Regulator controlled environment, Outdated technology and system issues
    Some groups may not be managed very effectively

Introduce coaching culture for more openness and trust among employees and managers

My overall experience with FNMA was great, however, the department I was in, Management was horrible.

Former Employee - Property Cost Management Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Property Cost Management Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company, great benefits, good pay.

Cons

Management not very effective, not trained or qualified for job responsibility of title.

Their is no management style, ineffective, unprofessional, care more about office politics then the employee.

Temporary Contractor as Operations Valuations Specialist

Former Employee - Senior Operations Specialist -- Valuations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Specialist -- Valuations in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Diversified work environment with great employees open to new ideas or answer questions.

Cons

As a Temporary Contractor, no benefits

Management should provide more feedback to temporary contract employees in order to let them know how they are performing and that their work meets the quality standards and metrics. All employees, permanent or temporary, need to know that they are contributing to the overall success of Fannie Mae and that their efforts are appreciated.