Fannie Mae

Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos

Tim Mayopoulos

Pros:
  • "Fannie Mae has very good work-life balance atmosphere"
    in 57 reviews
  • "Good place to work with good benefits"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management said it values new ideas, but the truth was very different"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Uncertain future

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive compensation in the DC Metro area

ConsWall Street management culture misfit, uncertain future, outsourcing en masse. Current mission statement resembles a suicide note.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on team building, people and a worthwhile sincere mission statement that builds on creation versus dismantling

Great Salary and Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time

ProsFannie Mae provides an excellent salary and benefits package. Flexible schedules, and liberal telecommuting options. Generous home purchase, and education assistance package.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are largely related to the team that you are on, and who you know. Frequent layoffs have adversely affected morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back in touch with the organization's mission statement. Remind staff to focus on how their job duties contribute to the overall success of the company..

Changing company

Non-technical Project Manager III (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood established company with good benefit structure

ConsThey are going through a complete change.

It is fine organization

I have been working at Fannie Mae

ProsNot very challenging work place, easy going job

ConsCan be boring sometimes, if you like new stuff all the time

interesting place to work

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFannie Mae has very good work-life balance atmosphere. work is interesting and challenging. Mission of the company is great.

ConsNot clear what the future of the company will be

Its either really good or really bad.

Network Administrator (Former Employee)
Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a lot going on and if you are there to grind and get work done you will be rewarded accordingly. If you are on the business side of Fannie Mae you are going to go far in your career even after Fannie Mae ceases to exist. You will get first hand experience and insider knowledge of how the future of the mortgage industry will be structured and function.

ConsAll the good things depend on what group you are under and what manager you have. If you are on the IT side of Fannie Mae you are one day not going to have the job you have now. IT is completely being outsourced to companies like IBM and other entities.

There are some hard to deal with management there that will not change their ways and they will get rid of you if you get on their bad side. A lot of corporate politics. Its all about whose good side you are on and if your are marketing your self well within the company. You cant just do good work and think everyone will notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not force people to do jobs or stay in positions they are obviously not happy doing. More flexibility to move around within.

Great Place with Great People

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae as an intern for less than a year

ProsEven as an Intern, I have had an amazing opportunity to take on meaningful, satisfying work that has a tangible impact on my team and on the enterprise. This really has been an incredible opportunity that has allowed for a great deal of learning, the pay is excellent, and the people are among the smartest and most interesting I have met.

ConsI really cannot think of any cons at this time - the work is engaging and interesting, and the deadlines are realistic and expectations fair.

Fannie Mae - Good place to work

Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

ProsGood place to work with good benefits

ConsLot of extra hours to invest per week at times which continues to become a routine

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing in specific

management is does not care about employees only numbers and not making them look bad

Credit Risk Analyst II (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as an intern for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market

Consrevolving door for employees; sweat shop and corporate bullies. Will not promote qualified employees only friends. Low moral

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement makes unrealistic demands on employees; management needs to be educated in time management. They do not know how long it takes to complete a task therefore, make unreasonable quotas.

Project Analyst

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

ProsProcess improvement with process flows, process analysis, process detail documentation and training of new processes.

ConsCorporate politics and management intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at accomplishments and efforts of individual employees.

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Fannie Mae Videos

Fannie Mae – Why Work for Us?

We are looking for employees who are intent on helping us achieve something remarkable. Since 2009, we have made tremendous progress in turning our company around, responding to an unprecedented housing crisis… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fannie Mae reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos. All 379 reviews posted anonymously by Fannie Mae employees.