Fannie Mae

Updated November 18, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 75 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fannie Mae manages to hire smart people and keep them around. I felt it was a great work environment and management respected my free time. When I left work, I was gone. I wasn't expected to log in at night or work ungodly hours. I worked hard while at work, but was able to let it go after I walked out the door.

Cons

Almost impossible to get rid of people who aren't pulling their weight or causing problems.

My thoughts about the company

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Have various of financial products in company's portfolio that you can learn a lot. Salary and benefits are satisfied.

Cons

Somehow bureaucracy. Have to sacrifice efficiency or profitability to meeting surveillance requirements. There is no clear career path in terms of getting promotion.

FC Specialist

Current Employee - FC Specialist in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - FC Specialist in DFW, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, professional company, lots of training.

Cons

Very stressful at times, Sometimes overlooked because of management favoritism.

I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at home (WAH) for more than half of my time at Fannie Mae. I have had 5 Managers in almost 5 years of working here, as a Contractor, Term Employee and permanent full time employee. I have adored 4 of them, and worked well with the other. I have gotten tremendous learning opportunities and offers of promotions (which I have chosen not to take for personal reasons). The benefits are good, including health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability and a 401(K) match of 6 percent, plus an additional 2 percent! There is constant training which helps me improve my knowledge and skills.

Cons

Sometimes I feel a little insecure in my job stability. There is constant and repetitive QC of work. The offer of WAH is flip-flopped depending on the production requirements, so it cN be hard to plan sometimes.

Let workers whose production and quality of work can be qualitatively and qualitavely assessed work at home. It is better for morale, employee satisfaction, the environment - and, quite frankly, could save you money in rent for fewer accommodations for employees coming into the office to work.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience working at Fannie Mae. It’s great to hear that you have been taking advantage of the learning opportunities and valuable trainings at ... More

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including on-site emergency child care, vacation and sick leave, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc. Good people to work with to achieve company's mission.

Cons

Numerous locations in DC metropolitan area and constant reorganizations may result in an unanticipated commute. Executives aren't the most friendly group to work for.

Do more to make employees feel valued.

Fannie Mae Culture

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great long-term potential with excellent benefits.

Cons

Lack of real training modules. A big dependency on other coworkers to learn.

A more efficient way of training employees would save lots of time.

Great atmosphere working at Fannie Mae, my manager was great and helpful, He managed our project on time.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, compensation and long vacations

Cons

I had long commute, so going to work everyday was little bit more challenging.

Overview

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Excellent benefits and good work environment, pay comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Currently in conservatorship and going through some restructuring/reorganization.

Nice Benefits and Mission. Conservatorship is growing long in the tooth resulting in uncertainty around future.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Work life balance is great. People are very smart.

Cons

Never a way to have a great company year under the shroud of conservatorship. Everything requires many kingdoms to cooperate and politics rule. The story about the work and what it means to your bosses promotion is more important than the work itself. There is a cultural war between people doing the work and people getting the praise for being in the meeting presenting it to management.

Weed out the career bosses who believe that their staff exists solely to get them promoted.

Fannie Mae can be a good place to work, but it depends on which department you work in.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work and exposure to significant changes going on within the housing industry. Company offers good salary and benefits, interesting work, and some great people to work with.

Cons

In recent years, it has been subject to constant change and there's been a revolving door at all levels. Work-life balance has become untenable. Workload is such that there is no way to be able to do a quality job, and staff is then blamed for the result. Many people managers have little in the way of management skill. Careers and promotions are based on office politics rather than skill and competence.

Provide support to your workforce and actually HELP them accomplish objectives. Just placing blame, and letting criticism roll downhill helps no one.