Fannie Mae

Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos

Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance(in 71 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business(in 16 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school(in 11 reviews)

Very friendly working environment

ProsFriendly. Work-life balance. A lot of areas to learn with some of them very unique in this industry.

ConsA little bit political if you are adjusted to the private/ small company working environment. Types of teams vary a lot. You really need to pick the right boss.

Its ok. Nothing too stressful and generally great co-workers.

ProsCompensation, work/life balance, great for resume

ConsRepetative work in a mundane industry. Constant talk of change to industry since Bailout has everyone worried for their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to breath life into the company. Lots of older employees who have been with company for 15+ years. Not much room for innovation.

mikes

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosjob security, pay, growth potential, and bonuses

Conslong hours but great overall company

Advice to Senior Managementbe more relaxed at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great experience to enhance my skills.

ProsGreat work/life balance, people, college grant of 10K a year, sick days.

ConsThis is one of the best companies that I have worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Management

A good place to work

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI worked in Fannie mae Capital Market Business to Technology Division as a consultant almost an year till april of 2013. work was busy but was not overwhelming and was reasonably assigned. Nice and relaxed environment with support from manager. I think fannie mae still offers one of the best benefit packages in the market. I would certainly recommend this company to a friend.

ConsCannot think of anything at the moment.

Working at Fannie Mae was a very good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe pay rate, medical coverage, number of vacation days and overall culture was very good.

ConsThere were a number of managers who were inept and should never have been given the title of manager, but I have a feeling that it's that way on any big company you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything in general was good, no big complaints.

Disappointing yet enlightening at why we have such problems in this industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAs always, the people I worked with are great folks. I miss them a lot but had to move on to maintain my sanity.

ConsThey do one thing well: loan evaluation and processing. Everything else--all their supporting services--are either run by people who were on the mortgage side of things or were hired by mortgage people who do not know how to hire for supporting services. As an employee, if your expertise is in your career area rather than mortgages, your educated suggestions are not valued--much like it might be to work in a law firm in IT, I imagine, except that loan processors don't get paid as well. The company culture was more like a high school than a business. I observed favoritism, territorialism, disrespect, and misplaced priorities and heard about abuse of power. Oh--high security. Security guards at every door. They walk the floor checking everyone's laptops to make sure they are cable-locked. You get in big trouble if they are not locked in place. If only they paid as much attention to their non-loan related business processes as they do to security! There are a couple of wicked-smart people who still work there, and some of them are dear friends, but I don't understand why they are still there. The place needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

Advice to Senior Management1. Hire someone at the top of their game to head up IT who will manage software development properly. 2. The mortgage side (the "business side") *cannot* have the final say on every decision. It leads to corrupt thinking--no, not criminally corrupt thinking--day-to-day business practices depend on relationships and being able to negotiate design decisions, schedules, deliverables, quality, etc. on a reasonably level playing field. The biz side knows they will win every dispute, so it makes for bad negotiations and worse decisions. They do not respect the expertise of the other party.

Has Potential to be a Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood work-life balance. Decent benefits and salary. A lot of opportunities to improve the organization, but not likely to happen in the near future. No competition to challenge the company to do better.

ConsUncertain future. Some managers/directors lack the skill set needed to effectively lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing the employees that can make a difference at Fannie Mae and get rid of the lame managers/directors who don't know what they are doing, but create impediments when efforts are made to improve the organization.

it is rough

Manager (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe employees are great, they are friendly and willing to help accomplish the goals.

ConsSr management is really messed up. They no longer value employees, VPs and above are just about their bonuses. They have trashed the company and constantly are working on ways to strip the company of any value. Most of the company has turned over in the last 5-8 years. Sr Executives have come from NY where it is a cut throat culture, and in turn brought that to Washington DC. Of course, they cut and run as soon as they find another post back in NY. Most positions are hired through the hiring managers buddy network, with little concern of talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you say you are doing right for the company reality is you are destroying the company. The values and atmosphere from years past, have been destroyed by a bunch of Executives, that are motivated by dollars and controlling a multi trillion dollar enterprise.

Unorganized from the top

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWork life balance and benefits

ConsConstant changes, workloads due to constant changes without adequate thought process, limited advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on projects before redirecting changes are made

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!