Fannie Mae

Updated August 17, 2014

3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic place to be!

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, interesting work, great coworkers and managers, and phenomenal opportunity to grow if you seek it. Large company with a lot of opportunity to explore interests and get involved in cross-team projects.

Cons

Technology is a little outdated, and HR is slightly disorganized, but changes are coming that should mitigate these factors. Other than that, it really is a phenomenal place to work!

Great Company

Current Employee - Closing Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Closing Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Solid Leadership, great compensation and culture

Cons

Technology out of date, overwhelming volume

Enhance technology to work smarter not harder to allow employees more of a work life balance.

Good

Current Employee - Legal  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Can be stagnant at times

Engage the employees more

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Asset Manager
    Current Employee - Asset Manager

Pros

Compensation, benefits, work/life balance, work from home

Cons

Management, politics, advancement opportunity, politics

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Administrator III  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in Reston, VA

Pros

State of the art technology
    Smartest minds, Great engineering Team
    Great benefits
    Training oppurtunities

Cons

have not seen or observed any...................................................................

none

Good company over all

Former Employee - Asset Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

Very good compensation and benefits packages. Good training for opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

Incentives/Goals change all the time. Needles surveys. Political environment. Not the brightest of management. Does not encourage input from does not in senior management. Endless surveys that result in no change.

Keep goals consistent. Stop changing goals/incentives as a way to cut payroll, it's demoralizing. Act upon the surveys and make a positive change. Show the employees you care.

Feeling devalued

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

nothing to say about the company

Cons

nothing to say about the company.

Listen to your employees. They are vital component of the organization.

Great people, bad management.

Current Employee - IAM Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IAM Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

Very laid back work and lots of down time. They purposely over hire to keep the workload down. The positive of this is you have a lot of free time. The down side is you become just a number.

Cons

Consulting/contracting is pointless here. Keep your resume out there if you are one with this group. They have an extremely high turn-around and will replace you with a completely ignorant/new consultant/contractor when your contract expires.

As a team member, I led a department with productively efficient results. Management kept claiming we needed more and more staff. The problem I had was that only two of the consultants hired after me were actually qualified for a tech position. This is only 2 out of 12 hires. Then at the whim of my department's supervisor I showed why we didn't require so many additional employees (he asked for proof). So a few days later, after I caught up on my current project, I decided to enter the main queue. We had 5 queues to take from, and we had 14 people hired to all worked out of just one of these 5. I went in and cleared out 95% of this queue within 2-3 hours (this equates to 3-4 days worth of work). Talk about inefficiency. The only thing I'm slightly bitter about was about 9 months later I was supposed to be hired into this department as a full-time employee but because of management changes including 3 different director changes I was let go and replaced by another 4 new hires and the area I specialized in was dropped due to it being too confusing for the rest of the team members to manage (Unix systems through PuTTY).

Highly Political

Pros

good pay, good benefits, somewhat flexible. Helping to bring the economy back on its feet. Verbal recognitions.

Cons

inefficiencies and bottlenecks everywhere. No ownership. Everything is directed by FHFA. Lots of changes in the company, not sure if it will be around for long. Highly political environment. No upward mobility. Promotions are not performance based. It's all about playing the game here.

IT Risk Analyst

Former Employee - IT Risky Analyst  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - IT Risky Analyst in Herndon, VA

Pros

Great company benefits such as 3% loan for house down payment, educational benefits up to 10K annually.

Cons

Corporate culture is lousy. Has a tendency to put the wrong people in the wrong positions. Chronic cronyism. No relationship between work performed and compensation. Warning, Fannie Mae has a problem of putting people managers over technical teams. I had a Manager who did not understand Information Technology and could not provide technical leadership to her team, but was performing performance evaluations. High Turnover in company. Professionals accustom to working in a high disciplined environment with high caliber professions might be discouraged. Company has a tendency to lay off people before they reach tenure but abrupt restructuring.

My advice is direct more to professional staff. Warning the Managers are not what you expect, if you've worked in a professional environment. There's a lot of paper pushing in this company. Appearance and not quality is the goal

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!