Fannie Mae

Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos

Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company over all

Asset Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery good compensation and benefits packages. Good training for opportunity for professional growth.

ConsIncentives/Goals change all the time. Needles surveys. Political environment. Not the brightest of management. Does not encourage input from does not in senior management. Endless surveys that result in no change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep goals consistent. Stop changing goals/incentives as a way to cut payroll, it's demoralizing. Act upon the surveys and make a positive change. Show the employees you care.

Great place to work

Systems Administrator III (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsState of the art technology
    Smartest minds, Great engineering Team
    Great benefits
    Training oppurtunities

Conshave not seen or observed any...................................................................

Advice to Senior Managementnone

First real job out of college, only accepted to pay off student loans; wasn't in my long-term plans.

Loan Operation Specialist I (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsTraining opportunities, workplace environment, benefits

ConsSenior management doesn't approve new hires quick enough in production environments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enter at your own risk

ProsGood work - life balance
    Most of the people are smart, hard working

ConsMost people managers have no clue how to manage people or workflows. FM promotes people with no management skills and has no plan to train these people.
    The culture is stuck in the 1990's and isn't changing
    There are a lot of people that are underemployed (have time and capacity to do more), but management refuses to acknowledgement that point.
    Too much internal focus and not enough customer focus

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't as smart as you think you are
    The culture isn't changing although you spend a lot of $$ talking about it
    You have gotten way too arrogant with the shift in the market the last couple years. You aren't that good
    The "one size fits all" management strategy doesn't work well

Disappointing yet enlightening at why we have such problems in this industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAs always, the people I worked with are great folks. I miss them a lot but had to move on to maintain my sanity.

ConsThey do one thing well: loan evaluation and processing. Everything else--all their supporting services--are either run by people who were on the mortgage side of things or were hired by mortgage people who do not know how to hire for supporting services. As an employee, if your expertise is in your career area rather than mortgages, your educated suggestions are not valued--much like it might be to work in a law firm in IT, I imagine, except that loan processors don't get paid as well. The company culture was more like a high school than a business. I observed favoritism, territorialism, disrespect, and misplaced priorities and heard about abuse of power. Oh--high security. Security guards at every door. They walk the floor checking everyone's laptops to make sure they are cable-locked. You get in big trouble if they are not locked in place. If only they paid as much attention to their non-loan related business processes as they do to security! There are a couple of wicked-smart people who still work there, and some of them are dear friends, but I don't understand why they are still there. The place needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

Advice to Senior Management1. Hire someone at the top of their game to head up IT who will manage software development properly. 2. The mortgage side (the "business side") *cannot* have the final say on every decision. It leads to corrupt thinking--no, not criminally corrupt thinking--day-to-day business practices depend on relationships and being able to negotiate design decisions, schedules, deliverables, quality, etc. on a reasonably level playing field. The biz side knows they will win every dispute, so it makes for bad negotiations and worse decisions. They do not respect the expertise of the other party.

Very friendly working environment

ProsFriendly. Work-life balance. A lot of areas to learn with some of them very unique in this industry.

ConsA little bit political if you are adjusted to the private/ small company working environment. Types of teams vary a lot. You really need to pick the right boss.

Data Management Analyst II

Data Management Analyst II (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosif you want to retire and dont worry about your pay check growth that inturn reflects in your personal and professional growth and development, this is a best place to hang out. If you are good in spending your whole day,week and months in meeting rooms and provide lip service, awesome place to stay.

ConsNot at all a place for any sane professional to grow. Full of politics. Re orgs happens like evry day meetings. If you wanna go on depression pills, please join this company. Filled with full of soccer moms and movie dadys.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up professionally and learn some skills to lead

Has Potential to be a Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood work-life balance. Decent benefits and salary. A lot of opportunities to improve the organization, but not likely to happen in the near future. No competition to challenge the company to do better.

ConsUncertain future. Some managers/directors lack the skill set needed to effectively lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing the employees that can make a difference at Fannie Mae and get rid of the lame managers/directors who don't know what they are doing, but create impediments when efforts are made to improve the organization.

mikes

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosjob security, pay, growth potential, and bonuses

Conslong hours but great overall company

Advice to Senior Managementbe more relaxed at times

Its ok. Nothing too stressful and generally great co-workers.

ProsCompensation, work/life balance, great for resume

ConsRepetative work in a mundane industry. Constant talk of change to industry since Bailout has everyone worried for their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to breath life into the company. Lots of older employees who have been with company for 15+ years. Not much room for innovation.

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!