Fannie Mae

Updated January 30, 2015
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Employee over 5 years; total over 6 years; started as contractor.

Current Employee - Reviewer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reviewer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Happy with my manager who does not micro-manage. If we need time off for any reason, doctor appointments or personal reasons the manager allows it. Have learned allot and the work is challenging, helps me to be the best I can be at completing tasks and getting things done. No complaints about my co-workers or management - it has been a good experience working there. The only setback is not being allowed to work from home due to my position... whereas the lion's share of workers do work from home so it is very quiet in the office.

Cons

Politics; allot of egos to deal with, but if you can accept it for what it is just go with the flow and do your job that's the best way to deal with it; do not try to change it. The dept. grew from less than 20 folks to over 100 in the last five years; as it grew more people came along who were grandstanding to get ahead; if you can sit back and just watch it it is hilarious because there are no opportunities for advancement. There are chances to shine if given special projects but these are given to the manager's favorites. Despite the favoritism, I am happy with the company.

Allow all workers to work from home, it would help with employee morale.

Contractor at Fannie Mae

Former Employee - Review Appraiser in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Review Appraiser in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

As a contractor the best part of working at Fannie Mae was the monetary compensation. I also enjoyed my co-workers.

Cons

Management was out of touch and rarely interacted with their staff. The company is very unstable and there are a lot of layoffs. There was intense pressure to meet deadlines. Management encouraged employees to work until daily quota was met which often resulted in long hours, but did not allow overtime contrary to the contracting company guidelines. The Fannie Mae job guidelines were huge and were added to on a daily basis making it difficult to keep up with requirements. Contractors were generally treated poorly compared to full time workers.

Everyone is busy at Fannie Mae from management down, but please take time to interact with your employees; by not doing so you are only creating a negative environment and making your employees feel unimportant to the overall mission.

Excellent Learning & Challenges

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Fannie Mae was very positive. Very bright colleagues and intelligent group of people to work with. Strong drive to manage your own career, ideal if you're a self starter.

Cons

Very political, disjointed management at times.

It's important to continue to distinguish the strong people managers from the individual contributors. A lot of strong talent at FNMA being neglected due to the lack of leadership.

Good Benefits

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst III in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst III in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Overall good benefits and very good vacation policy.

Cons

Work is slowing down and there is little room for growth.

Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

The work life balance in my department is better than most. The pay is better than most, and the benefits are significantly above industry average.

Cons

There are many outside factors that will determine the future. Being faced with that uncertainty every day is difficult.

Work much harder at following your words with actions. Work even harder to retain and promote mid level managers to build directors from within and avoid losing valuable institutional knowledge.

Old school views

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fannie Mae's mission is the reason most people enjoy working there. Making homeownership possible for all.

Cons

The policies and practices are tied to tradition and the culture is more about who you know and making friends. If you are focused and mission driven and have the expectation that others feel the same about getting the job done then this is not the place for you.

Company values need to be redefined and then upper management should walk the talk

OK place to work

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Lots of diversity; opportunity for advancement if you find your own mentors

Cons

Prepare for constant change and uncertainty

Developer

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

benefits and 401k, friendly people. social life.

Cons

There is a joke. in Fannie Mae , you need approval for pretty much anything. even to use rest room. There are managers do nothing but sit 8 hours and approve 10 to 20 requests and go home .

More managers than people actually do the work. 5 out 10 are some kind of managers.

Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, good amount of vacation, great benefits, competitive compensation, availability of training and development. Solid performers are encouraged to move around within the organization.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, terribly behind in technology. An exorbitant amount of time must be spent on detailed documentation of every minute process, formal documentation of quarterly performance check-ins, quarterly technology access reviews, and other similar administrative tasks.

Financial Economist

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Work/ Life Balance. Working from home every two week.

Cons

You should wait for a while to get promoted.

N/A