Fannie Mae

Updated November 18, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 75 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Good benefits, co worker, understanding management

Cons

Busy all the time. Work life balance is hard to Get

Great Experience

Current Employee - Financial Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are some of the smartest people I've ever been around. Opportunity for promotion for driven individuals

Cons

Bureacracy is an issue at Fannie Mae. Decision making may have to go through layers of management. The technology at Fannie is atrocious. Getting access is a nightmare.

Great benefits, low stress, but company is going downhill.

Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long vacation, short work hours (if you want) and good benefits package.

Cons

Getting anything done is nearly impossible. SO much bureaucracy.

Remove barriers.

Good to great to TERRIBLE

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "pros" prior to 2004 would have taken page upon page of samples. From 2004 forward, the pro reviews received are by people who did not work at Fannie Mae when it was really a professional and extraordinary corporation with a mission of good.

Cons

This used to be the greatest company. It used to be the place to work with the best-of-the-best from the mortgage industry. It used to be that we were proud to a part of the company and the service it provided to this nation. Management used to be highly respected and we were a family from the top down. The CEO used to come to town and UNDERSTAND what your job was and be able to speak with you about it. He even introduced himself to you if he did not know you and engaged you in conversation, making you feel that he may not know you personally but he knew the importance of your job and its' function in the company.. Then came 2004 and the new cronies of upper management followed...referred to as "the entitles". From there the slide downward went at turbo speed. There are both upper and middle management who have NO IDEA how a mortgage loan starts, the basics of underwriting, risk and partnership with lenders to help them make better decisions. It became all about the money and less about the housing and education of America and the mortgage industry. The new management ran away the respectable management and those of us with longevity just stuck around to await much needed and earned retirement/pension (which was grandfathered) and is no longer offered. The day that the company started out-sourcing and contracting the worse of the worst, many of us who had waited for the company to come back, started thinking it is time to go. This company is now equal to Enron. Management gets all the benefits (golden parachutes and wealth) while the richly knowledgeable long-term employee is no longer wanted. It has become a revolving door of incompetence, mismanagement and people drawing a salary until the well runs dry.

Company treats Promotions/advancements with Bias

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, Compensation/Benefits. The work is challenging and the pay and benefits are like "golden handcuffs". Executives at this company are paid an exorbitant amount of money but everyone is compensated well.

Cons

Limited career growth; promotions heavily influenced by internal politics and "who you know" philosophy. Senior leadership is not approachable/not visible

Upper Management has no intention of changing the status quo so sharing is a waste of effort

EXCITING TIME OF CHANGE

I have been working at Fannie Mae (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy change management and want opportunities to develop new skills, it's a great place to be.

Cons

The future is uncertain and not within the control of management and the Board.

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are top notch, decent pay, smart people, career opportunities

Cons

Management needs more training, a lot of executives bring in "their people", lack of diversity in executive space, relationships trump hard work

Listen to your employees about management

Great place to work if you aren't trying to get rich

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart coworkers
    Easy hours
    Flexible schedule
    Graduate school reimbursement
    Recruiters are always contacting you for new jobs elsewhere

Cons

Pay is low for financial services due to the fact that Treasury gets all profits (per terms of conservatorship). Bonuses for people like me (late 20s) are low compared to other financial services companies.

Unfortunately there's nothing they can do. Conservatorship is terrible. It is essentially a government job.

This is not a credible company to work for

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a family there are good benefits.

Cons

Not a good company to work for with regard to how they treat employees who speak up, They do not treat all employees the same. They can and will get away with nonethical practices. Very political. Low Morale -- especially amongst employees who have worked at this company for 10+ years

It starts from the top down. Once management changes their attitude and way of treating people their direct reports will follow suit.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014Company Representative

First we would like to thank you for over 10 years of service to Fannie Mae. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a comment. Each review is very important to us and we read each one of them ... More

oracle dba

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

it has a flex hours

Cons

uncertain future due to current situation