Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience Reverse Diversity

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay.
    Can work from home.

Cons

This place will be the end of your technical career.
    Company fails miserably on the diversity model. This is a major source of a failure to innovate.
    Company has built lots of silos that make success very difficult.
    Silos are so far behind in technology and refuse to change when suggestions are made outside of them.

Try hiring people from diverse backgrounds. Fannies lack of diversity smells of racism.
    Dump the enterprise shared services group. This is just an obstacle maker. Tasks that take most companies minutes, take weeks here.
    Most people with leadership skills don't move up, but leave.

First real job out of college, only accepted to pay off student loans; wasn't in my long-term plans.

Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training opportunities, workplace environment, benefits

Cons

Senior management doesn't approve new hires quick enough in production environments

Very friendly working environment

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Friendly. Work-life balance. A lot of areas to learn with some of them very unique in this industry.

Cons

A little bit political if you are adjusted to the private/ small company working environment. Types of teams vary a lot. You really need to pick the right boss.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its ok. Nothing too stressful and generally great co-workers.

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Compensation, work/life balance, great for resume

Cons

Repetative work in a mundane industry. Constant talk of change to industry since Bailout has everyone worried for their jobs.

Find ways to breath life into the company. Lots of older employees who have been with company for 15+ years. Not much room for innovation.

mikes

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

job security, pay, growth potential, and bonuses

Cons

long hours but great overall company

be more relaxed at times

It was a great experience to enhance my skills.

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, people, college grant of 10K a year, sick days.

Cons

This is one of the best companies that I have worked for

Great Management

A good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I worked in Fannie mae Capital Market Business to Technology Division as a consultant almost an year till april of 2013. work was busy but was not overwhelming and was reasonably assigned. Nice and relaxed environment with support from manager. I think fannie mae still offers one of the best benefit packages in the market. I would certainly recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

Cannot think of anything at the moment.

Working at Fannie Mae was a very good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay rate, medical coverage, number of vacation days and overall culture was very good.

Cons

There were a number of managers who were inept and should never have been given the title of manager, but I have a feeling that it's that way on any big company you work for.

Everything in general was good, no big complaints.

Enter at your own risk

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Good work - life balance
    Most of the people are smart, hard working

Cons

Most people managers have no clue how to manage people or workflows. FM promotes people with no management skills and has no plan to train these people.
    The culture is stuck in the 1990's and isn't changing
    There are a lot of people that are underemployed (have time and capacity to do more), but management refuses to acknowledgement that point.
    Too much internal focus and not enough customer focus

You aren't as smart as you think you are
    The culture isn't changing although you spend a lot of $$ talking about it
    You have gotten way too arrogant with the shift in the market the last couple years. You aren't that good
    The "one size fits all" management strategy doesn't work well

Disappointing yet enlightening at why we have such problems in this industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

As always, the people I worked with are great folks. I miss them a lot but had to move on to maintain my sanity.

Cons

They do one thing well: loan evaluation and processing. Everything else--all their supporting services--are either run by people who were on the mortgage side of things or were hired by mortgage people who do not know how to hire for supporting services. As an employee, if your expertise is in your career area rather than mortgages, your educated suggestions are not valued--much like it might be to work in a law firm in IT, I imagine, except that loan processors don't get paid as well. The company culture was more like a high school than a business. I observed favoritism, territorialism, disrespect, and misplaced priorities and heard about abuse of power. Oh--high security. Security guards at every door. They walk the floor checking everyone's laptops to make sure they are cable-locked. You get in big trouble if they are not locked in place. If only they paid as much attention to their non-loan related business processes as they do to security! There are a couple of wicked-smart people who still work there, and some of them are dear friends, but I don't understand why they are still there. The place needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

1. Hire someone at the top of their game to head up IT who will manage software development properly. 2. The mortgage side (the "business side") *cannot* have the final say on every decision. It leads to corrupt thinking--no, not criminally corrupt thinking--day-to-day business practices depend on relationships and being able to negotiate design decisions, schedules, deliverables, quality, etc. on a reasonably level playing field. The biz side knows they will win every dispute, so it makes for bad negotiations and worse decisions. They do not respect the expertise of the other party.

Fannie Mae Response

Sep 17, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and will pass your feedback to Senior ... More

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!