Fannie Mae

Updated December 17, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, slow change

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Very smart people, good to work with

Cons

Change is slow, multiple starts and stops

Change requires all levels aligned

Fannie Mae Culture

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great long-term potential with excellent benefits.

Cons

Lack of real training modules. A big dependency on other coworkers to learn.

A more efficient way of training employees would save lots of time.

Good to great to TERRIBLE

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "pros" prior to 2004 would have taken page upon page of samples. From 2004 forward, the pro reviews received are by people who did not work at Fannie Mae when it was really a professional and extraordinary corporation with a mission of good.

Cons

This used to be the greatest company. It used to be the place to work with the best-of-the-best from the mortgage industry. It used to be that we were proud to a part of the company and the service it provided to this nation. Management used to be highly respected and we were a family from the top down. The CEO used to come to town and UNDERSTAND what your job was and be able to speak with you about it. He even introduced himself to you if he did not know you and engaged you in conversation, making you feel that he may not know you personally but he knew the importance of your job and its' function in the company.. Then came 2004 and the new cronies of upper management followed...referred to as "the entitles". From there the slide downward went at turbo speed. There are both upper and middle management who have NO IDEA how a mortgage loan starts, the basics of underwriting, risk and partnership with lenders to help them make better decisions. It became all about the money and less about the housing and education of America and the mortgage industry. The new management ran away the respectable management and those of us with longevity just stuck around to await much needed and earned retirement/pension (which was grandfathered) and is no longer offered. The day that the company started out-sourcing and contracting the worse of the worst, many of us who had waited for the company to come back, started thinking it is time to go. This company is now equal to Enron. Management gets all the benefits (golden parachutes and wealth) while the richly knowledgeable long-term employee is no longer wanted. It has become a revolving door of incompetence, mismanagement and people drawing a salary until the well runs dry.

Great atmosphere working at Fannie Mae, my manager was great and helpful, He managed our project on time.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, compensation and long vacations

Cons

I had long commute, so going to work everyday was little bit more challenging.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including on-site emergency child care, vacation and sick leave, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc. Good people to work with to achieve company's mission.

Cons

Numerous locations in DC metropolitan area and constant reorganizations may result in an unanticipated commute. Executives aren't the most friendly group to work for.

Do more to make employees feel valued.

Overview

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Excellent benefits and good work environment, pay comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Currently in conservatorship and going through some restructuring/reorganization.

Great benefits, low stress, but company is going downhill.

Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long vacation, short work hours (if you want) and good benefits package.

Cons

Getting anything done is nearly impossible. SO much bureaucracy.

Remove barriers.

Rewarding Opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, People, Interesting Work, Location, Training Available

Cons

Leadership, Long Hours, Challenging to move to the next level

Flexible Work Schedule

Contractor

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor

Pros

Pay as a contractor is good but the stress you get as a contractor might not be worth it.

Cons

I have worked at Fannie Mae several times and all the times have not been pleasant. My experience working with my current manager has been the worst experience in my career. This manager does not respect contractors and is extremely stubborn. This person has deliberately tried to accuse me of not completing a task they realized they were the ones that screwed up. Luckily I had evidence to defend against the accusations so this person had nothing to say. This person had the nerve to alter the original email in the thread and type what they wanted it to say and blamed me for not updating the file. That is a violation of integrity in my opinion and if person is willing to do such a stupid act I am afraid of what else this person is capable of doing or what they have already done.

Not manager material. This person only looks out for ones self and does not know how to train there employees to be successful. If you want to be a successful leader you need to know how to listen and teach. this person has neither. this person is extremely unprofessional when it comes to speaking and providing negative feedback. This person does not go into a conference room where it is quite to provide their feedback. This person calls you to their cube which is wide open and starts to speak loudly then looks around the room to see if anyone else is listening. After this person confirms they have an audience, this person continues to threaten and talk down to you. Another unprofessional speaking trait this person has is when pronouncing the word “ASK”. We are not in Southeast on a street corner, the word is NOT pronounced “ax”. Don’t tell me to go and ax somebody. That really sounds like someone who is uneducated and it clearly reflects on how they were brought up.

Take some people management courses and learn how to be a successful leader. You constantly reiterated that you are the face and we are here to make you look good. That is a terrible mentality and you need to change that and get over yourself. You need to respect and provide your employees with all the tools to be successful and teach them how to use them. You also need to be able to train your employees instead of giving them a quarter and saying to go call someone and find out. Once you figure out how to be a great manager then and only then will you have employees who will work hard and want to make you look good.

Company treats Promotions/advancements with Bias

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, Compensation/Benefits. The work is challenging and the pay and benefits are like "golden handcuffs". Executives at this company are paid an exorbitant amount of money but everyone is compensated well.

Cons

Limited career growth; promotions heavily influenced by internal politics and "who you know" philosophy. Senior leadership is not approachable/not visible

Upper Management has no intention of changing the status quo so sharing is a waste of effort