Fannie Mae

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Support Single Family WLC process and is a subject matter expert on FAS65 Tagging and Collateral Management and Hedging

Current Employee - QA Tester in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

compendsation is good, flex working hours. good work/life balance. they have a good understanding that people need to have a life outside of work

Cons

As a contractor, it's not stable, there is 3000 hours limits . fannie mae has been going downhill for a long time.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Financial Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are some of the smartest people I've ever been around. Opportunity for promotion for driven individuals

Cons

Bureacracy is an issue at Fannie Mae. Decision making may have to go through layers of management. The technology at Fannie is atrocious. Getting access is a nightmare.

intern

I have been working at Fannie Mae as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very high quality employees with excellent performance

Cons

very fast working speed and stressful workload

Good internship, smart people

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Fannie Mae as an intern

Pros

brilliant people, very approachable, intern program is well put together and it is clear they want you to succeed

Cons

some of the other interns were very unprofessional, made me concerned reflected badly on the entire group.

should have vetted intern hires better/ maybe managed some more.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Good benefits, co worker, understanding management

Cons

Busy all the time. Work life balance is hard to Get

Good to great to TERRIBLE

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "pros" prior to 2004 would have taken page upon page of samples. From 2004 forward, the pro reviews received are by people who did not work at Fannie Mae when it was really a professional and extraordinary corporation with a mission of good.

Cons

This used to be the greatest company. It used to be the place to work with the best-of-the-best from the mortgage industry. It used to be that we were proud to a part of the company and the service it provided to this nation. Management used to be highly respected and we were a family from the top down. The CEO used to come to town and UNDERSTAND what your job was and be able to speak with you about it. He even introduced himself to you if he did not know you and engaged you in conversation, making you feel that he may not know you personally but he knew the importance of your job and its' function in the company.. Then came 2004 and the new cronies of upper management followed...referred to as "the entitles". From there the slide downward went at turbo speed. There are both upper and middle management who have NO IDEA how a mortgage loan starts, the basics of underwriting, risk and partnership with lenders to help them make better decisions. It became all about the money and less about the housing and education of America and the mortgage industry. The new management ran away the respectable management and those of us with longevity just stuck around to await much needed and earned retirement/pension (which was grandfathered) and is no longer offered. The day that the company started out-sourcing and contracting the worse of the worst, many of us who had waited for the company to come back, started thinking it is time to go. This company is now equal to Enron. Management gets all the benefits (golden parachutes and wealth) while the richly knowledgeable long-term employee is no longer wanted. It has become a revolving door of incompetence, mismanagement and people drawing a salary until the well runs dry.

Contractor

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor

Pros

Pay as a contractor is good but the stress you get as a contractor might not be worth it.

Cons

I have worked at Fannie Mae several times and all the times have not been pleasant. My experience working with my current manager has been the worst experience in my career. This manager does not respect contractors and is extremely stubborn. This person has deliberately tried to accuse me of not completing a task they realized they were the ones that screwed up. Luckily I had evidence to defend against the accusations so this person had nothing to say. This person had the nerve to alter the original email in the thread and type what they wanted it to say and blamed me for not updating the file. That is a violation of integrity in my opinion and if person is willing to do such a stupid act I am afraid of what else this person is capable of doing or what they have already done.

Not manager material. This person only looks out for ones self and does not know how to train there employees to be successful. If you want to be a successful leader you need to know how to listen and teach. this person has neither. this person is extremely unprofessional when it comes to speaking and providing negative feedback. This person does not go into a conference room where it is quite to provide their feedback. This person calls you to their cube which is wide open and starts to speak loudly then looks around the room to see if anyone else is listening. After this person confirms they have an audience, this person continues to threaten and talk down to you. Another unprofessional speaking trait this person has is when pronouncing the word “ASK”. We are not in Southeast on a street corner, the word is NOT pronounced “ax”. Don’t tell me to go and ax somebody. That really sounds like someone who is uneducated and it clearly reflects on how they were brought up.

Take some people management courses and learn how to be a successful leader. You constantly reiterated that you are the face and we are here to make you look good. That is a terrible mentality and you need to change that and get over yourself. You need to respect and provide your employees with all the tools to be successful and teach them how to use them. You also need to be able to train your employees instead of giving them a quarter and saying to go call someone and find out. Once you figure out how to be a great manager then and only then will you have employees who will work hard and want to make you look good.

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are top notch, decent pay, smart people, career opportunities

Cons

Management needs more training, a lot of executives bring in "their people", lack of diversity in executive space, relationships trump hard work

Listen to your employees about management

This is not a credible company to work for

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a family there are good benefits.

Cons

Not a good company to work for with regard to how they treat employees who speak up, They do not treat all employees the same. They can and will get away with nonethical practices. Very political. Low Morale -- especially amongst employees who have worked at this company for 10+ years

It starts from the top down. Once management changes their attitude and way of treating people their direct reports will follow suit.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014Company Representative

First we would like to thank you for over 10 years of service to Fannie Mae. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a comment. Each review is very important to us and we read each one of them ... More

Great place to work if you aren't trying to get rich

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart coworkers
    Easy hours
    Flexible schedule
    Graduate school reimbursement
    Recruiters are always contacting you for new jobs elsewhere

Cons

Pay is low for financial services due to the fact that Treasury gets all profits (per terms of conservatorship). Bonuses for people like me (late 20s) are low compared to other financial services companies.

Unfortunately there's nothing they can do. Conservatorship is terrible. It is essentially a government job.