Fannie Mae

Updated January 27, 2015
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company. Good benefits. Smart people. Too much infighting,

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competent employees. Good benefits. It's interesting work and I enjoyed my time in the underwriting area (5 years). There are opportunities to learn new skills should you want to take advantage of them.

Cons

Lots of infighting and turf wars. This distracts from focusing the business on the market. Ongoing systems upgrades/improvements continue to hold them back.

Need to reduce the internal competition among employees.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, atthough not the best

Cons

Employees' skills are on the low level side. Gossip and back-stabbing are core values there. They are rewarded generously

I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at home (WAH) for more than half of my time at Fannie Mae. I have had 5 Managers in almost 5 years of working here, as a Contractor, Term Employee and permanent full time employee. I have adored 4 of them, and worked well with the other. I have gotten tremendous learning opportunities and offers of promotions (which I have chosen not to take for personal reasons). The benefits are good, including health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability and a 401(K) match of 6 percent, plus an additional 2 percent! There is constant training which helps me improve my knowledge and skills.

Cons

Sometimes I feel a little insecure in my job stability. There is constant and repetitive QC of work. The offer of WAH is flip-flopped depending on the production requirements, so it cN be hard to plan sometimes.

Let workers whose production and quality of work can be qualitatively and qualitavely assessed work at home. It is better for morale, employee satisfaction, the environment - and, quite frankly, could save you money in rent for fewer accommodations for employees coming into the office to work.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience working at Fannie Mae. It’s great to hear that you have been taking advantage of the learning opportunities and valuable trainings at ... More

Good people, slow change

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Very smart people, good to work with

Cons

Change is slow, multiple starts and stops

Change requires all levels aligned

Fannie Mae Culture

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great long-term potential with excellent benefits.

Cons

Lack of real training modules. A big dependency on other coworkers to learn.

A more efficient way of training employees would save lots of time.

Good to great to TERRIBLE

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst II - Retired in Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "pros" prior to 2004 would have taken page upon page of samples. From 2004 forward, the pro reviews received are by people who did not work at Fannie Mae when it was really a professional and extraordinary corporation with a mission of good.

Cons

This used to be the greatest company. It used to be the place to work with the best-of-the-best from the mortgage industry. It used to be that we were proud to a part of the company and the service it provided to this nation. Management used to be highly respected and we were a family from the top down. The CEO used to come to town and UNDERSTAND what your job was and be able to speak with you about it. He even introduced himself to you if he did not know you and engaged you in conversation, making you feel that he may not know you personally but he knew the importance of your job and its' function in the company.. Then came 2004 and the new cronies of upper management followed...referred to as "the entitles". From there the slide downward went at turbo speed. There are both upper and middle management who have NO IDEA how a mortgage loan starts, the basics of underwriting, risk and partnership with lenders to help them make better decisions. It became all about the money and less about the housing and education of America and the mortgage industry. The new management ran away the respectable management and those of us with longevity just stuck around to await much needed and earned retirement/pension (which was grandfathered) and is no longer offered. The day that the company started out-sourcing and contracting the worse of the worst, many of us who had waited for the company to come back, started thinking it is time to go. This company is now equal to Enron. Management gets all the benefits (golden parachutes and wealth) while the richly knowledgeable long-term employee is no longer wanted. It has become a revolving door of incompetence, mismanagement and people drawing a salary until the well runs dry.

Great atmosphere working at Fannie Mae, my manager was great and helpful, He managed our project on time.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, compensation and long vacations

Cons

I had long commute, so going to work everyday was little bit more challenging.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including on-site emergency child care, vacation and sick leave, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc. Good people to work with to achieve company's mission.

Cons

Numerous locations in DC metropolitan area and constant reorganizations may result in an unanticipated commute. Executives aren't the most friendly group to work for.

Do more to make employees feel valued.

Overview

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Excellent benefits and good work environment, pay comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Currently in conservatorship and going through some restructuring/reorganization.

Great benefits, low stress, but company is going downhill.

Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long vacation, short work hours (if you want) and good benefits package.

Cons

Getting anything done is nearly impossible. SO much bureaucracy.

Remove barriers.