Fannie Mae Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 75 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company over all

Former Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good compensation and benefits packages. Good training for opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

Incentives/Goals change all the time. Needles surveys. Political environment. Not the brightest of management. Does not encourage input from does not in senior management. Endless surveys that result in no change.

Keep goals consistent. Stop changing goals/incentives as a way to cut payroll, it's demoralizing. Act upon the surveys and make a positive change. Show the employees you care.

Very friendly working environment

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Friendly. Work-life balance. A lot of areas to learn with some of them very unique in this industry.

Cons

A little bit political if you are adjusted to the private/ small company working environment. Types of teams vary a lot. You really need to pick the right boss.

Its ok. Nothing too stressful and generally great co-workers.

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Compensation, work/life balance, great for resume

Cons

Repetative work in a mundane industry. Constant talk of change to industry since Bailout has everyone worried for their jobs.

Find ways to breath life into the company. Lots of older employees who have been with company for 15+ years. Not much room for innovation.

mikes

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

job security, pay, growth potential, and bonuses

Cons

long hours but great overall company

be more relaxed at times

First real job out of college, only accepted to pay off student loans; wasn't in my long-term plans.

Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training opportunities, workplace environment, benefits

Cons

Senior management doesn't approve new hires quick enough in production environments

Disappointing yet enlightening at why we have such problems in this industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

As always, the people I worked with are great folks. I miss them a lot but had to move on to maintain my sanity.

Cons

They do one thing well: loan evaluation and processing. Everything else--all their supporting services--are either run by people who were on the mortgage side of things or were hired by mortgage people who do not know how to hire for supporting services. As an employee, if your expertise is in your career area rather than mortgages, your educated suggestions are not valued--much like it might be to work in a law firm in IT, I imagine, except that loan processors don't get paid as well. The company culture was more like a high school than a business. I observed favoritism, territorialism, disrespect, and misplaced priorities and heard about abuse of power. Oh--high security. Security guards at every door. They walk the floor checking everyone's laptops to make sure they are cable-locked. You get in big trouble if they are not locked in place. If only they paid as much attention to their non-loan related business processes as they do to security! There are a couple of wicked-smart people who still work there, and some of them are dear friends, but I don't understand why they are still there. The place needs a top-to-bottom overhaul.

1. Hire someone at the top of their game to head up IT who will manage software development properly. 2. The mortgage side (the "business side") *cannot* have the final say on every decision. It leads to corrupt thinking--no, not criminally corrupt thinking--day-to-day business practices depend on relationships and being able to negotiate design decisions, schedules, deliverables, quality, etc. on a reasonably level playing field. The biz side knows they will win every dispute, so it makes for bad negotiations and worse decisions. They do not respect the expertise of the other party.

Fannie Mae Response

Sep 17, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and will pass your feedback to Senior ... More

it is rough

Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are great, they are friendly and willing to help accomplish the goals.

Cons

Sr management is really messed up. They no longer value employees, VPs and above are just about their bonuses. They have trashed the company and constantly are working on ways to strip the company of any value. Most of the company has turned over in the last 5-8 years. Sr Executives have come from NY where it is a cut throat culture, and in turn brought that to Washington DC. Of course, they cut and run as soon as they find another post back in NY. Most positions are hired through the hiring managers buddy network, with little concern of talents.

While you say you are doing right for the company reality is you are destroying the company. The values and atmosphere from years past, have been destroyed by a bunch of Executives, that are motivated by dollars and controlling a multi trillion dollar enterprise.

Has Potential to be a Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Decent benefits and salary. A lot of opportunities to improve the organization, but not likely to happen in the near future. No competition to challenge the company to do better.

Cons

Uncertain future. Some managers/directors lack the skill set needed to effectively lead.

Start valuing the employees that can make a difference at Fannie Mae and get rid of the lame managers/directors who don't know what they are doing, but create impediments when efforts are made to improve the organization.

Unorganized from the top

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance and benefits

Cons

Constant changes, workloads due to constant changes without adequate thought process, limited advancement.

Follow through on projects before redirecting changes are made

Welcome to Little India

Former Employee - Project Manager II
    Former Employee - Project Manager II

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    Good work life balance. It's a 9-5 shop

Cons

It's a big bank. Sometime they thing they are an IT company.
    Only good if your an employee and not a contractor
    To get anything done you have to go through several layers of approval.
    Not a place to be if your looking for a challenging fast pace environment.
    Most of the PM's are just paper pushers and collecting documentation. Real work is managed by Dev Manager

Cut the layers out. Way too many managers.