Fannie Mae

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

This company pays well and it has good benefits. There is movement for upward mobility. I love working here and recommend it to everyone.

Cons

The parking is OK, but it doesn't hurt for a person to walk a little ways, but hey at least you are not too far from the Galleria.

Don't let red tape keep you from making the right decision. You know what you need to do. Do it.

It was a Great Company to Work for When it was a Good Company

Former Employee - Senior Deputy Director
    Former Employee - Senior Deputy Director

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

In the 5 years I worked for Fannie Mae it was a great company to work for a majority of the time. I left in 2007. I was proud of the work we were doing in the community, people respected the depth and breadth of the work we did and there were plenty of resources to get some really impactful work done. I particularly liked my co-workers and the camraderie we had and how most of us learned from and enjoyed working with each other.

Also, Fannie Mae salaries were on the high side for the industry and in the private sector overall. The company's benefit package for positions at all levels, including entry-level admin assistants, was one of the best available in the workforce hands down. I've talked to many, many friends, family and former colleagues who were jealous of what Fannie Mae had to offer.

Cons

One of the biggest drawbacks of working at Fannie Mae was its very hierarchal, top-down structure, especially from headquarters in Washington D.C. to the regional offices to the various offices located in each state. Oftentimes not all of the info you hoped to hear you received because it had to go through so many filters. Also, people who showed the drive, talent and abilities to succeed in a higher position I thought often weren't considered or even invited to apply. In instances where I saw this happen it usually was because they were seen as most helpful in their current position vs moving on to another position they want. Lastly, because of all the issues and turbulence Fannie Mae, along with Freddie Mac, went through because of its accounting scandal, the employee morale began to slip terribly.

If I were to offer some advice/feedback to the leadership at Fannie Mae I would urge them to make a regular, almost daily effort, to stay connected and in tune to their workforce on the ground, be it in the regional office or what's left of the rest of their field office. The headquarters was often referred to a "the mothership"; which I think shows the disconnection of exec management seen as sitting on high simply giving orders with no real connection to what was going on.

Work at Fannie Mae

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Possibility of interesting work, a lot of new projects, very decent compensation and benefits, ability to learn new things

Cons

Uncertainty of the company future in the current environment, a lot of deadlines and stress, contractor personnel turnover.

Need to communicate more clearly about the company future, also need more specific review structure as well as more promotion opportunities.

Good but could be better.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Pay, Benefits (who else offers 401K+match+pension), and mission

Cons

Tough demanding place to work. High expectations for professionalism. Limited opportunities for career growth

Keep Fannie Mae solvent.

Fannie Mae is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

the people, the mission and the work life balance

Cons

The incorrect information in the media - including this website that classifies the organization as "Government." Fannie Mae is a publicly traded company on the NYSE.

Forge ahead

Good Benefits

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst III in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst III in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Overall good benefits and very good vacation policy.

Cons

Work is slowing down and there is little room for growth.

Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

The work life balance in my department is better than most. The pay is better than most, and the benefits are significantly above industry average.

Cons

There are many outside factors that will determine the future. Being faced with that uncertainty every day is difficult.

Work much harder at following your words with actions. Work even harder to retain and promote mid level managers to build directors from within and avoid losing valuable institutional knowledge.

Excellent Learning & Challenges

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Fannie Mae was very positive. Very bright colleagues and intelligent group of people to work with. Strong drive to manage your own career, ideal if you're a self starter.

Cons

Very political, disjointed management at times.

It's important to continue to distinguish the strong people managers from the individual contributors. A lot of strong talent at FNMA being neglected due to the lack of leadership.

Solid company and benefits, but future uncertain while under conservatorship

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company experience overall, having started as a consultant during restatement and then converted to employee. Benefits are for the most part quite good though a few things need improvement. Work/life balance is good, depending on organization, direct management, and company situation at the time.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth internally, and company is drowning in politics

Provide more growth opportunities for your hard working employees. Minimize the internal politics and just get things done. One of these days the conservatorship blanket will be lifted, and the company can soar with a sound future mission (assuming US politics don't hamper this) if the company would do a better job of retaining top talent and promoting from within, and cuts through internal politics. Would also recommend increasing bonus structure as they are currently well below banks...while they may never get to the bank levels (and arguably shouldn't) they should be closer than they are. Also recommend doing away with the 1/3 bonus deferral until the next year. Pay for the hard work now.

Good work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fannie Mae manages to hire smart people and keep them around. I felt it was a great work environment and management respected my free time. When I left work, I was gone. I wasn't expected to log in at night or work ungodly hours. I worked hard while at work, but was able to let it go after I walked out the door.

Cons

Almost impossible to get rid of people who aren't pulling their weight or causing problems.