Fannie Mae Reviews

1. Best in class Recruiting department

Former Employee - Recruiter IV in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiter IV in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Highly customer service oriented. Very knowledgeable recruiters.

Cons

Management could get recruiters bugged down with too much administrative work.

Advice to Management

Try and catch your employee doing things right!

2. A great learning opportunity

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Good benefits, smart people, challenging work

Cons

The company has very outdated systems/applications.

3. auditor

Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

very good company. Good manager. Good benefits.

Cons

slow pace. low competition. long commute

Advice to Management

very good company. Good manager. Good benefits.

5. Great place to work...but ever-evolving

Current Employee - Financial Economist III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Economist III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

I've been at Fannie Mae for 5 years, and the company has undergone a lot of changes since then. In the last year and a half, the company has grown tremendously in size. For established employees, this has created room for leadership and growth as you are now one of the more senior people in your group even with just 5 years of experience. However, for the new hires, the low people on the totem pole, I don't know how much job security and certainty there is what with the long-term future of Fannie Mae completely uncertain and subject to the winds of politics.

Cons

As I mentioned above, the future of Fannie Mae is very uncertain, but especially for new people - I feel a lot of the new hires are just interchangeable like commodities.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Fannie Mae is more operational than strategic - the company is not in a position to dictate either its long-term future or medium-term strategies. The long-term will be determined by Congress and the medium-term issues are decided by the regulator, FHFA. All management can do it carry out the orders it is given by FHFA, as well as other government bodies such as the Treasury Department.

6. Technical manager.

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Flexibility and overall growth of the company and select divisions.

Cons

Performance review process and goal setting is overly complicated.

Advice to Management

Reduce unnecessary goal setting.

Love it

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

This company pays well and it has good benefits. There is movement for upward mobility. I love working here and recommend it to everyone.

Cons

The parking is OK, but it doesn't hurt for a person to walk a little ways, but hey at least you are not too far from the Galleria.

Advice to Management

Don't let red tape keep you from making the right decision. You know what you need to do. Do it.

It was a Great Company to Work for When it was a Good Company

Former Employee - Senior Deputy Director
    Former Employee - Senior Deputy Director

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

In the 5 years I worked for Fannie Mae it was a great company to work for a majority of the time. I left in 2007. I was proud of the work we were doing in the community, people respected the depth and breadth of the work we did and there were plenty of resources to get some really impactful work done. I particularly liked my co-workers and the camraderie we had and how most of us learned from and enjoyed working with each other.

Also, Fannie Mae salaries were on the high side for the industry and in the private sector overall. The company's benefit package for positions at all levels, including entry-level admin assistants, was one of the best available in the workforce hands down. I've talked to many, many friends, family and former colleagues who were jealous of what Fannie Mae had to offer.

Cons

One of the biggest drawbacks of working at Fannie Mae was its very hierarchal, top-down structure, especially from headquarters in Washington D.C. to the regional offices to the various offices located in each state. Oftentimes not all of the info you hoped to hear you received because it had to go through so many filters. Also, people who showed the drive, talent and abilities to succeed in a higher position I thought often weren't considered or even invited to apply. In instances where I saw this happen it usually was because they were seen as most helpful in their current position vs moving on to another position they want. Lastly, because of all the issues and turbulence Fannie Mae, along with Freddie Mac, went through because of its accounting scandal, the employee morale began to slip terribly.

Advice to Management

If I were to offer some advice/feedback to the leadership at Fannie Mae I would urge them to make a regular, almost daily effort, to stay connected and in tune to their workforce on the ground, be it in the regional office or what's left of the rest of their field office. The headquarters was often referred to a "the mothership"; which I think shows the disconnection of exec management seen as sitting on high simply giving orders with no real connection to what was going on.

9. Work at Fannie Mae

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Possibility of interesting work, a lot of new projects, very decent compensation and benefits, ability to learn new things

Cons

Uncertainty of the company future in the current environment, a lot of deadlines and stress, contractor personnel turnover.

Advice to Management

Need to communicate more clearly about the company future, also need more specific review structure as well as more promotion opportunities.

10. Good but could be better.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Pay, Benefits (who else offers 401K+match+pension), and mission

Cons

Tough demanding place to work. High expectations for professionalism. Limited opportunities for career growth

Advice to Management

Keep Fannie Mae solvent.

11. Fannie Mae is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

the people, the mission and the work life balance

Cons

The incorrect information in the media - including this website that classifies the organization as "Government." Fannie Mae is a publicly traded company on the NYSE.

Advice to Management

Forge ahead