Fannie Mae

Updated January 30, 2015
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Fair compensation and benefits as compared to most companies this size (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 19 reviews)

• work/life balance varies from dept to dept, manager to manager (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Overview

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Excellent benefits and good work environment, pay comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Currently in conservatorship and going through some restructuring/reorganization.

Great benefits, low stress, but company is going downhill.

Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Systems Security Specialist III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long vacation, short work hours (if you want) and good benefits package.

Cons

Getting anything done is nearly impossible. SO much bureaucracy.

Remove barriers.

Rewarding Opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, People, Interesting Work, Location, Training Available

Cons

Leadership, Long Hours, Challenging to move to the next level

Flexible Work Schedule

Contractor

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor

Pros

Pay as a contractor is good but the stress you get as a contractor might not be worth it.

Cons

I have worked at Fannie Mae several times and all the times have not been pleasant. My experience working with my current manager has been the worst experience in my career. This manager does not respect contractors and is extremely stubborn. This person has deliberately tried to accuse me of not completing a task they realized they were the ones that screwed up. Luckily I had evidence to defend against the accusations so this person had nothing to say. This person had the nerve to alter the original email in the thread and type what they wanted it to say and blamed me for not updating the file. That is a violation of integrity in my opinion and if person is willing to do such a stupid act I am afraid of what else this person is capable of doing or what they have already done.

Not manager material. This person only looks out for ones self and does not know how to train there employees to be successful. If you want to be a successful leader you need to know how to listen and teach. this person has neither. this person is extremely unprofessional when it comes to speaking and providing negative feedback. This person does not go into a conference room where it is quite to provide their feedback. This person calls you to their cube which is wide open and starts to speak loudly then looks around the room to see if anyone else is listening. After this person confirms they have an audience, this person continues to threaten and talk down to you. Another unprofessional speaking trait this person has is when pronouncing the word “ASK”. We are not in Southeast on a street corner, the word is NOT pronounced “ax”. Don’t tell me to go and ax somebody. That really sounds like someone who is uneducated and it clearly reflects on how they were brought up.

Take some people management courses and learn how to be a successful leader. You constantly reiterated that you are the face and we are here to make you look good. That is a terrible mentality and you need to change that and get over yourself. You need to respect and provide your employees with all the tools to be successful and teach them how to use them. You also need to be able to train your employees instead of giving them a quarter and saying to go call someone and find out. Once you figure out how to be a great manager then and only then will you have employees who will work hard and want to make you look good.

Company treats Promotions/advancements with Bias

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, Compensation/Benefits. The work is challenging and the pay and benefits are like "golden handcuffs". Executives at this company are paid an exorbitant amount of money but everyone is compensated well.

Cons

Limited career growth; promotions heavily influenced by internal politics and "who you know" philosophy. Senior leadership is not approachable/not visible

Upper Management has no intention of changing the status quo so sharing is a waste of effort

Best if you join as a Full Time Employee, Contractor beware!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; One of the best in the industry. Working hours are flexible, but you need make yourself available during core business hours Monday - Friday. Option to work in any of the locations in the DC Metro area is a plus.

Cons

If you are a Contractor, be aware that there are 2 to 3 weeks of furlough that occurs at the end of the year. Ask your contracting company about the furlough, because you could end up not making any money for up to 3 weeks. Negotiate a slightly higher rate to compensate for this. You have been warned.

Keep up the good work and keep hiring the best talent you can find.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you pointing out some of the pros of working at Fannie Mae. We read every review and will pass along your comments about contractor’s ... More

EXCITING TIME OF CHANGE

I have been working at Fannie Mae (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy change management and want opportunities to develop new skills, it's a great place to be.

Cons

The future is uncertain and not within the control of management and the Board.

Challenging and exciting projects!

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Great place to learn. Good team work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Horrible Ruthless Company Zero loyalty

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Benefits, compensation and work from home

Cons

The most political company that you could EVER work for. No work/life balance. They do nothing but lie to their employees. They simply chew you up and spit you out.

Walk the talk

Support Single Family WLC process and is a subject matter expert on FAS65 Tagging and Collateral Management and Hedging

Current Employee - QA Tester in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

compendsation is good, flex working hours. good work/life balance. they have a good understanding that people need to have a life outside of work

Cons

As a contractor, it's not stable, there is 3000 hours limits . fannie mae has been going downhill for a long time.