Fannie Mae Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated September 13, 2014
3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

251 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company & Team!

Former Employee - Sales  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Salary, Respectable environment & wonderful benefits.

Cons

Can take a lot of interviews before you are offered a position. Layoffs can occur. Lot's of position changes as well.

Was one of the top job places in DC Metro .. not anymore ..

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Still a place where you can find talent and it still attracts talent. Good people to work with.

Cons

Senior management mostly ex-Wall Street with different values and for most part demonstrate lack of commitment. They also prefer external Wall Street talent rather than local talent for promotion opportunities - so not much career growth opportunity for those within. IT has been recently outsourced to external vendor and this has hurt the firm and unless they address will continue to hurt the firm more over the next few years - not sure how they will execute on the many ambitious initiatives in-flight with less than mediocre IT.

1. Look for talent - wherever you find it.
    2. Stop wasting money on external consultants to get a pretty powerpoint that had all the info you already knew in it.
    3. Fix IT - stop covering up the mistakes done here. Do the right thing - whether it means replacing the vendor or insourcing.

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great technological opportunities, great benefits, money at the top of the industry, great people within the team you are working with.

Cons

It is a big organization and when they decide to do something, even if it is bone headed they will go ahead with it and declare it a success. Standing up and saying something gets you labeled "not a team player."

This is a top-down organization. Upper management will make decisions, ignoring the advise of lower level technologists. They, upper management, seems to believe that if there is a problem someone "can write a script" or program to get them out of a jam. This can be extremely frustrating. If you can navigate the office politics you will be richly rewarded, if you can't - well - C'est La vie.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get ready for a bumpy ride....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits package is very competitive especially 401K employer contributions. Good place for recent college grads and young professionals

Cons

Mixed messages from senior-level leadership; Management is not transparent; If you're not part of the "in" crowd, it's difficult to navigate the environment; diversity of thought is not encouraged

Be upfront with employees; Look out for the employees and not just yourselves

It was a good experience

Current Employee - Operations and Technology Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Operations and Technology Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Got to learn a lot

Cons

Had a bit of free time

Work life balance is good

Fantastic place to be!

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, interesting work, great coworkers and managers, and phenomenal opportunity to grow if you seek it. Large company with a lot of opportunity to explore interests and get involved in cross-team projects.

Cons

Technology is a little outdated, and HR is slightly disorganized, but changes are coming that should mitigate these factors. Other than that, it really is a phenomenal place to work!

Good

Current Employee - Legal  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Can be stagnant at times

Engage the employees more

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Administrator III  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

State of the art technology
    Smartest minds, Great engineering Team
    Great benefits
    Training oppurtunities

Cons

have not seen or observed any...................................................................

none

Feeling devalued

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

nothing to say about the company

Cons

nothing to say about the company.

Listen to your employees. They are vital component of the organization.

Great people, bad management.

Current Employee - IAM Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IAM Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back work and lots of down time. They purposely over hire to keep the workload down. The positive of this is you have a lot of free time. The down side is you become just a number.

Cons

Consulting/contracting is pointless here. Keep your resume out there if you are one with this group. They have an extremely high turn-around and will replace you with a completely ignorant/new consultant/contractor when your contract expires.

As a team member, I led a department with productively efficient results. Management kept claiming we needed more and more staff. The problem I had was that only two of the consultants hired after me were actually qualified for a tech position. This is only 2 out of 12 hires. Then at the whim of my department's supervisor I showed why we didn't require so many additional employees (he asked for proof). So a few days later, after I caught up on my current project, I decided to enter the main queue. We had 5 queues to take from, and we had 14 people hired to all worked out of just one of these 5. I went in and cleared out 95% of this queue within 2-3 hours (this equates to 3-4 days worth of work). Talk about inefficiency. The only thing I'm slightly bitter about was about 9 months later I was supposed to be hired into this department as a full-time employee but because of management changes including 3 different director changes I was let go and replaced by another 4 new hires and the area I specialized in was dropped due to it being too confusing for the rest of the team members to manage (Unix systems through PuTTY).

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!