Fannie Mae

Updated August 19, 2014

3.3

Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

Pros
  • If you go in with your eyes open, it can be a stable environment with good work/life balance (in 72 reviews)

• great benefits and flex hours; great for learning all aspects of housing market (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is bad to senior management - technology used to be empowered to provide value to the business (in 17 reviews)

• Petty management, lots of rot in middle management, corporate culture still very old-school (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

253 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic place to be!

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, interesting work, great coworkers and managers, and phenomenal opportunity to grow if you seek it. Large company with a lot of opportunity to explore interests and get involved in cross-team projects.

Cons

Technology is a little outdated, and HR is slightly disorganized, but changes are coming that should mitigate these factors. Other than that, it really is a phenomenal place to work!

Good

Current Employee - Legal  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Can be stagnant at times

Engage the employees more

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Administrator III  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in Reston, VA

Pros

State of the art technology
    Smartest minds, Great engineering Team
    Great benefits
    Training oppurtunities

Cons

have not seen or observed any...................................................................

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get ready for a bumpy ride....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Compensation and benefits package is very competitive especially 401K employer contributions. Good place for recent college grads and young professionals

Cons

Mixed messages from senior-level leadership; Management is not transparent; If you're not part of the "in" crowd, it's difficult to navigate the environment; diversity of thought is not encouraged

Be upfront with employees; Look out for the employees and not just yourselves

It was a good experience

Current Employee - Operations and Technology Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Operations and Technology Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Got to learn a lot

Cons

Had a bit of free time

Work life balance is good

Feeling devalued

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

nothing to say about the company

Cons

nothing to say about the company.

Listen to your employees. They are vital component of the organization.

Great people, bad management.

Current Employee - IAM Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IAM Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

Very laid back work and lots of down time. They purposely over hire to keep the workload down. The positive of this is you have a lot of free time. The down side is you become just a number.

Cons

Consulting/contracting is pointless here. Keep your resume out there if you are one with this group. They have an extremely high turn-around and will replace you with a completely ignorant/new consultant/contractor when your contract expires.

As a team member, I led a department with productively efficient results. Management kept claiming we needed more and more staff. The problem I had was that only two of the consultants hired after me were actually qualified for a tech position. This is only 2 out of 12 hires. Then at the whim of my department's supervisor I showed why we didn't require so many additional employees (he asked for proof). So a few days later, after I caught up on my current project, I decided to enter the main queue. We had 5 queues to take from, and we had 14 people hired to all worked out of just one of these 5. I went in and cleared out 95% of this queue within 2-3 hours (this equates to 3-4 days worth of work). Talk about inefficiency. The only thing I'm slightly bitter about was about 9 months later I was supposed to be hired into this department as a full-time employee but because of management changes including 3 different director changes I was let go and replaced by another 4 new hires and the area I specialized in was dropped due to it being too confusing for the rest of the team members to manage (Unix systems through PuTTY).

IT Risk Analyst

Former Employee - IT Risky Analyst  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - IT Risky Analyst in Herndon, VA

Pros

Great company benefits such as 3% loan for house down payment, educational benefits up to 10K annually.

Cons

Corporate culture is lousy. Has a tendency to put the wrong people in the wrong positions. Chronic cronyism. No relationship between work performed and compensation. Warning, Fannie Mae has a problem of putting people managers over technical teams. I had a Manager who did not understand Information Technology and could not provide technical leadership to her team, but was performing performance evaluations. High Turnover in company. Professionals accustom to working in a high disciplined environment with high caliber professions might be discouraged. Company has a tendency to lay off people before they reach tenure but abrupt restructuring.

My advice is direct more to professional staff. Warning the Managers are not what you expect, if you've worked in a professional environment. There's a lot of paper pushing in this company. Appearance and not quality is the goal

First real job out of college, only accepted to pay off student loans; wasn't in my long-term plans.

Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Operation Specialist I in Herndon, VA

Pros

Training opportunities, workplace environment, benefits

Cons

Senior management doesn't approve new hires quick enough in production environments

A good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

I worked in Fannie mae Capital Market Business to Technology Division as a consultant almost an year till april of 2013. work was busy but was not overwhelming and was reasonably assigned. Nice and relaxed environment with support from manager. I think fannie mae still offers one of the best benefit packages in the market. I would certainly recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

Cannot think of anything at the moment.

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!