Fantage

1.4

CEO

Busy

I worked at Fantage

Pros

The people are good to work with.

Cons

Salary does not match the work load.

Under new management so I don't know

Waste of time

I worked at Fantage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, free coffee, microwave in kitchen

Cons

upper management, upper management and upper management.

Start looking for jobs because you ruined this company

A trap for the inexperienced game developer trying to break into the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lee, NJ

I have been working at Fantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Fantage doesn't hire people that already have experience. They hire young adults straight out of college mostly since they won't have to pay them much. But, because of that you'll meet a bunch of awesome people during your stay there.

Cons

Management does what they want, however they want, when they want. They will demand new projects be started and set insane deadlines, regardless of what other projects we are working on already. Multiple times I tried to voice my opinion about the mismanaged schedule and lack of a producer on staff but they do not listen. Your well being and opinions are of no concern to upper management. They do not listen to reason. They believe that if something worked for company X, then we can make a rushed copy of it and it will work for Fantage. Example, working on a Flappy Bird clone weeks after the Flappy Bird fad died.

Listen to your employees that enjoy making and playing games. Afterall, you are a children's game company. Do not make rash decisions just because you think it's a good idea. Deciding that your employees must stay late for the next 2 nights to release a quiz game without any monetization under the sole belief that it is a good idea is crazy.

Unfulfilling and Depressing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lee, NJ

I have been working at Fantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lunch Stipend
    Co-workers minus the top management
    Starbucks Coffee Machine in the Kitchen
    Open Space Environment

Cons

Frowned upon to be remotely happy (laughter will get you in trouble)
    Any work enjoyment will be removed from the Micro-Management from Higher Ups
    No work/life balance
    Narrow-minded and does not like change
    Favoritism
    Low-Pay

Trust your employees more to know their field. Don't give advice if you aren't qualified to know what you're talking about.

Hostile. work. environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lee, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lee, NJ

I worked at Fantage

Pros

the building has electricity, AC and heat??
    My co-workers, most of them anyway.

Cons

If you work at Fantage -
     - you get 1 personal day, 1 sick day, and 3-6 vacation days depending on your length of employment. if you had 5 vacation days and didn't use them for the year you will only get paid for a maximum of 3. if you would like to use a vacation day for something personal, or add your personal day onto your vacation, this may not get approval by management.

- you have to clock in and out every day with an electronic card because management wants to know exactly when you come in and leave. this is not because we are paid by the hour. management told us that your total hours worked will reflect on your performance reviews, so people that don't stay and do unpaid overtime are frowned upon. when we first had the electronic system installed management sent an email saying that coming in at 10:01 is considered late (work is from 10-7, but most of the company must stay overtime). you can work until 1am, but they don't like it when you're a minute late. they have taken employees aside to talk about lateness in several cases.

- fantage is a flash based kid's website so the work involves art and programming which management (one person mostly) has no background or experience in. when an artist has worked on something all day, it will get changed by management for an unnecessary reason at the end of the day therefore that designer will have to stay late and fix it until completion. they cannot go home or may have their job threatened the next day. i have almost lost my job at fantage on more than occasion for this reason, and i was told that i couldn't handle the pressure when i went home because i was tired. the suggestions made by management about changing the artwork is vague include phrases like, "make it more special", or "make something that kids will like". the feedback is difficult for an artist to understand and to find a way to meet their requests. the entire art and design team was once told that they were expendable by management.

-again, management with no background in this area makes obscene demands and deadlines for artists and programmers. deadlines for projects are made because they "sound good". like it "sounds good" to design and program a whole new game for the site in 2 weeks, even though many workers are already pre-occupied with current projects and cannot handle another. if anyone, even some managers try to tell management that a project can't be completed in their made up "sounds good" time frame, management will say that the site needs to profit from the new game/event/ items for sale and that it needs to be done. the percentage of the company that regularly stays for unpaid overtime until 12am or later is astounding. 14 hour days folks! the pay is not even worth the overtime. there was once no AC in the office after 6pm and by 8pm we wold be frying in the office during the summer because there are no windows and 40-50 people stacked like sardines with running computers ( i will try to post a pic later). i guess management finally decided to treat us like humans and get an AC unit to cool things down. thanks guys!

- you have to write a report to clueless management about everything you worked on all day, every day whether you are an artist, programmer, or Quality Assurance team. Keep in mind that these reports are sent to ONE person - so this person 40-50 reports every day? Sometimes you get replies to your reports with sayings like, "is this all you did?" when they don't even know how long something takes to do in the first place!

-i'm sure there's more

If you are thinking of applying to fantage please try to reach out to someone on linkedin or facebook to get some opinions!

Stop coming up with out of the blue projects that are due immediately and stop the threats if we can't get them done when you want. Ask us how much is really, REALLY takes to do something and give us enough time. You see the overtime meal expense sheets don't you?20- 30 people staying till midnight or later on some nights and you're insane demand was the cause does that not bother you at all? that your employees can't even get 8 hours of sleep?? the Wall Street guys may work those kind of hours but they get paid 3x or more what we do!

Get an art or programming education!!
    More PTO.
    Stop policing us walking around the room looking over our shoulders all the time!

Worst Company to Work for

I have been working at Fantage full-time

Pros

-Majority of the co-workers are friendly so that helps you get through the day
    -You get to play games when you're bored and don't feel like doing anything
    -Casual dress code - sandals and shorts welcomed (its hot up in there!)
    -Keurig machine
     -V.P. always sleeping at the desk encourages employees to relax as well

Cons

-Unprofessional Senior Management
    -Low salary compared to work load
    -5 Days Off the WHOLE year including vacation, sick, and personal days
    -Work overtime for free (they pay for your dinner $15 limit) until all hours of the night
    -C.O.O. has little to no social skills, extremely spiteful
    -Expects projects to be completed within 40 hours when it takes 80+
    -Clock in and out every time you make a move so they watch you like 3rd graders
    -Favoritism
    -Mediocre health insurance
    -Company wants to save money by paying you low but forces you to work the amount of 2-3 people
    -With the except of some team managers, the others are seriously clueless
    -Sr. Management blames everyone else for their mistakes so be prepared to get bashed
    -You only get off the MAJOR holidays, and its usually only for that day only. Say goodbye to Christmas Eve.
    -Friend works for an HR agency that says they won't place anyone with this company because employees that have been hired through agencies come back saying its the worst company ever mainly because of the high demands and no rewards ($) and ignorant Sr. Management.

Be More Professional and Try to do some Overtime, if you can, u know?

Horrible

I worked at Fantage full-time

Pros

There's really nothing positive about working here.

Cons

While working here, one the members of management (this person shall be unnamed) was breathing down my neck since day one. After being given a short intro to the company and a very vague description of my job responsibilities, they put me to work. I thought I was doing my job to the best of my abilities until they had a "talk" with me about my "poor" performance. I asked them if they could give me a detailed description of the positives and negatives of my job performance so that I could get an understanding of what has to be changed. The management team said that I was not working diligently enough, and left it at that. No other details.

So, I decided to take on other responsibilities by asking my co workers at the time if I could do anything to ease their work load (I was an admin). I asked the management if I could have a talk with them in private, and asked them to expand on their review of my performance. They said I could be more polite over the phone, and that I needed to be less wasteful. Again, this is very vague.

Since that day, one of the managers moved his/her seat next to mine, and asked me every 10-15 minutes what I was doing. Even when I was on the phone..."What is the caller asking? Who's the caller? Where is the caller calling from?"

The next day, I went back to work. One of the manager was talking to someone in Korean, and I knew he was talking about me because he said my name a couple times. He calls me out of the office and lets me know that I "don't have a schedule anymore"

Be specific
    Give your employees respect

Work Hard, No Vacation

I have been working at Fantage

Pros

They will give you a computer.

Cons

No personal life before you quit

Please be Professional