Fantastic Sams

Be The First To
Add Photos

I have been with company for 6yrs

Hairstylist (Current Employee) Tyngsboro, MA

ProsI love doing hair and the people are so nice

ConsI dont have a set scedual

Extremely unprofessional, and owners are terrible!

ProsI can't even think of one.

ConsLow pay. hired as full time employee and now working part time because owners don't want to pay us. Unprofessional staff. Filthy filthy salon. Cannot wait to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out better marketing strategies and hire new staff!!

Depends on your owner and manager!

Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsUsed to have some useful continuing education classes, co-workers and clients are wonderful-only reason I stay!

ConsNo benefits, commission only (my owner does not make up the difference if lower than minimum wage, or for coupons), management is not in hair industry, never order enough color products. It's very hard to get time off. Forced to go to all day classes on "front desk skills" because owner is too cheap to hire a receptionist. Again, we are paid commission only. Also, management makes us come in after hours to clean the salon, again, unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalons need to be taken care of. Things like black mold and electrical fires should not be left uninspected for months. Managers who are also stylists can cover shifts, and understand the stylists' concerns and questions. Focus should be on the customer, not the money. Many people come to Fantastic Sams because they are looking for a deal. If you want to jack up the price of a cut and blow dry to $55, they won't give us a chance. Also, when you work on commission only, management should be impartial when suggesting stylists to new guests. Racism is a big problem with management as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stylist

Hairstylist (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsHigh walkin in volume, very easy place to establish yourself.

ConsLow prices, low pay checks, low tips.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to leave when it's slow so they don't get jaded.

Owner Operator

Owner (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIt is a great way to learn a business. Hair care is a tough but rewarding business.

ConsYou own a franchise, this is not the same as being an entrepreneur, you pay fee's and are responsible to follow a program. You are responsible for your losses, the franchise gets credit for your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways be sure your fee's are commensurate with your service. Tie fee's to success.

If you don't want benefits or good pay, work here

Hairstylist (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThey close earlier than other chain salons.

ConsNo set schedule, even though they said I would have one when I was interviewed. No medical, dental or vision offered at all, at least by my franchisee. After 3 months they pay you at employee tipped wages so if it is slow you aren't even making minimum wage ( yet you are expected to clean shelves, answer the phone, wait on customers, make coffee, balance the cash drawer, fold towels, sweep, mop, and clean the bathroom during this time.) Your pay depends on the products that you sell....you DO NOT get a commission on product but you need to sell product in order to make more commission on service sales. I believe it is about $150 worth of product to make 50% commission on your services....HOWEVER if you do not take in a minimum hourly amount set by your franchisee you still make only 40 or 42 percent on your service sales, no matter how much product you sell. I have never had a company work so hard to keep me from making money. Last week I made $6.76 per hour, plus tips but remember, it was slow so tips were not very good either.That's ridiculous for someone that paid for trade school, bought more than $1,000 worth of equipment and must maintain a license. I am not a waitress and should not be paid like one! Shame on you Fantastic Sams!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Spend money on them in the beginning and you will reap the benefits in the end. Offer them more than a job and make them feel valued. Your managers need coaching. Every employee is different. Do not try the same approach on all of them. I cant even use my finger on both hands to count the times that I have been talked down, I would have to use my toes as well. I can't get out of here fast enough!

Has helped me grow in confidence and experience with a variety of clientele.

Hairstylist (Current Employee) Crystal, MN

ProsFast Paced
    You don't tend to sit around
    Can easily up your hourly pay

ConsMiss the "finishing" of haircuts as in styling all looks

Simple, easy start up place

Receptionist (Current Employee)

ProsAble to choose hours
    Easy to meet new clients

ConsMust follow of franchise rules

Decent company

ProsFlexible schedule for young moms, no clientele needed..

ConsPoor pay, prices are already cheap and too many coupons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore personal meetings and training are needed.

I was not bad for a chain Salon

Stylist (Former Employee) O Fallon, IL

ProsGreat tips, Great Co-Workers, Busy salon.

ConsStylists were not treated very good by management. Too many coupons.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your hard working stylist well!

Worked for Fantastic Sams? Contribute to the Community!