Fantasy Flight Games

2.8
Christian T. Petersen

1. Positive Trend

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think the coworkers are some of the best people that you will ever work with. The people there are passionate, smart, and insanely nerdy (in a good way).

The content you work on is awesome. You get to work with some of the biggest and best licenses in the business.

I think that the company is on an upward trend. It started to behave as the 100+ employee company size it is, rather than the 20-person shop it pretended to be.

Cons

It suffers from a severe lack of organization with a lot of iterations. Everything is behind schedule and high priority. This creates more work for employees than needed.

Management suffers from a lack fo professional training and experience. A lot of people were promoted into roles without professional training or experience as a manager.

Upper management occasionally inserts itself into the creative process, hindering creativity.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the efforts to have the departments become more autonomous. Please continue this trend. I would recommend spending more time getting professional training for management. Get organized with more realistic expectations! The quantity of projects affects quality. Try to refocus the company on doing fewer things great. Realize that there is a balance between quality, schedule, and cost.

2. Changes Have Been Made For The Better

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workplace culture is very geeky and fun. I've never felt so at home among coworkers at other jobs.

They are flexible when you need days off, to leave early, or other considerations.

I always feel like I can be myself at work. The corporate culture is not stifling, but actually reasonibly enjoyable.

We now have an HR manager, and she is a great addition. It has helped so much for employees to have a manager dedicated just to our needs.

Benefits are really good.

Cons

There is a lot of work, and there aren't a lot of people to do it. This seems to be the case in every department. however because of this my job feels very secure.

The pay is low for the level of work done.

Advice to Management

It genuinely feels like your actively trying to make things better, and that's appreciated. Little things are noticed, at least by some of us, and the general feeling that we are cared about has increased in the last couple years. Keep it up....employee retention should be very important to FFG.

3. Solid if you can handle the weather.

Current Employee - Game Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal coworkers. Solid benefits, exciting work and a real sense of community among the team.

Cons

Higher management can be tricky to predict, Company values may not coincide with creative drive. Limited growth and compensation.

Advice to Management

I am not qualified to give advice to the management, though if possible it'd be great to give the designers some time each year to really cut loose and try something new that they are passionate about.

5. Love it here!

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative place, lots do do, positive atmosphere

Cons

Number of projects can be overwhelming

6. Dead end job

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun projects

Great IP's

Some freedom of creativity

Cons

Employees were micro-managed constantly

Awful pay for requirement of skill, hours and dedication needed for the job

Terrible office politics

Many employees were hired simply because they were friends of upper management and usually had no skill or experience in the job. Other employees were promoted within this way in to positions they knew nothing about.

Money funneled into failed endeavors by CEO when that money could have been used to pay employees a live-able wage

Forced overtime, PTO blackouts and terrible travel conditions

Absolutely no growth potential

Work environment was often volatile if CEO was angry that day. Many employees were extremely rude and mean to others as their frustration and maltreatment from their job grew.

Very small, cramped work environment. Not enough space for the number of employees working there.

Advice to Management

Pay a decent living wage!

Hire people for positions that actually have the skills, knowledge and experience

Respect your employees or they'll leave

Have a legitimate reason before firing co-workers

Quit wasting money on failed endeavors

Be more open-minded towards employees suggestions

Incredible employees running the show for horrible upper management.

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees you work for on a daily basis are incredible people to work with and make your job feel like a great family.

Cons

anyone in a level of position from the front counter manager to the CEO are completely incompetent. Going back to pros the job is great and overall a fun time but get anyone in a position of power involved and you quickly realize that they truly have no idea what is going on. The store front especially seems to depend on the kitchen staff to run events and coordinate big events.

Advice to Management

restructure your management on all levels and allow your employees, who are currently the ones running the show, feel appreciated. We understand that Christian started the company from the ground up but that doesn't give him permission to be so condescending and restricting to his employees.

8. A great place to challenge yourself and work with fun engaging people that strive to be the best!

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Roseville, MN

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They very much treat you like family and working with everyone in the company will put a smile on your face. The benefits are great and they have nice perks especially if you are a gamer. The management will push you to be creative and challenge you in a fast paced environment. You get to work on fun games and exciting IPs. They have great job security and company is always reaching for the stars.

Cons

The communication between departments could be better and the pay was a little low when I started there but it has gotten a lot better.

Advice to Management

Strive to communicate and don't ever stop reaching for the stars.

An invaluable lesson to my career: learned the type of workflow, employer & management I'll never associate with again.

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FFG had enjoyable co-workers, great gaming discounts, a was a growing company and consistently does every year.

Cons

Poor starting pay, pay raises barely enough to keep up with inflation. Poor management, organizational, and training. Manditory Full Time, fixed in house hours - salary - no leeway. Back stabbed: is how I felt when I left this company, in many different ways.

Advice to Management

Politically-charged hiring, firing, promoting, and loathing is not what I nor I'm sure anyone seeks in their management. Infrastructure must grow with profits and business. People skills, providing sufficient training, providing your crucial departments with the staff it needs, and common sense ethics managing employees would be a great start.

Toxic, oppressive, and miserable: adjectives to describe working at FFG.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FFG offers a substantial discount to employees.

Working with a bunch of lovable nerds.

Your friends will envy your "fun" job.

Cons

Poor foresight by the CEO and management results in products that are pushed through development too fast, producing many errors. Although this is a managerial issue, the subalterns are punished.

FFG fosters a culture of intolerance. Many of its products are sexist or racist (to be fair, this is common in the industry). There is very little diversity among FFG employees, and FFG does not make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.

Workers are expected to sacrifice their personal lives for the company's gain and will not see any kind of compensation for this sacrifice. Also, to say that pay is not competitive is an understatement.

Departments act like information silos and collaboration is rare.

Management arbitrarily makes decisions. Projects are killed without explanation. Expect a chaotic work place where each day brings a newly-hatched plan that needs to be completed on an unrealistic schedule.

There is no praise for a job well done, but there is no shortage of criticism for errors and mistakes. Rather than embracing a healthy attitude for revision, management expects employees to perform flawlessly in every situation. Workers are motivated only by the fear of losing their job.

Advice to Management

Embrace and encourage the creativity and drive of staff members.

Increase accountability for management, and hire managers with experience and knowledge.

Develop a quality control process that works.

Break down silos between departments and encourage collaboration.

Give employees adequate time to complete tasks, and reward them for a job well done.

11. Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers, amazing projects and professional accolades, as well as a stimulating work environment make FFG one of the best companies and employers of its kind.

Cons

Pay is not consistant with wages for similar positions in the area and or industry. Some positions have little or no opportunity for advancement. Management has inconsistent training methods for new and mid-level employees. New policies implimented under the guise of staying consistent with imerging company culture have sewn feelings of resentment and claustriphobia among a large cross-section of the employee population.

Advice to Management

Improve the training efforts of new emplyees as well as mid-level management. The CEO should consider stepping away from the design process and grant his employees more creative oversight power.

RSS Feed </> Embed