Fantasy Flight Games

Add Photos

Christian T. Petersen

Uncertain Future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsFantastic coworkers, amazing projects and professional accolades, as well as a stimulating work environment make FFG one of the best companies and employers of its kind.

ConsPay is not consistant with wages for similar positions in the area and or industry. Some positions have little or no opportunity for advancement. Management has inconsistent training methods for new and mid-level employees. New policies implimented under the guise of staying consistent with imerging company culture have sewn feelings of resentment and claustriphobia among a large cross-section of the employee population.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the training efforts of new emplyees as well as mid-level management. The CEO should consider stepping away from the design process and grant his employees more creative oversight power.

An invaluable lesson to my career: learned the type of workflow, employer & management I'll never associate with again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsFFG had enjoyable co-workers, great gaming discounts, a was a growing company and consistently does every year.

ConsPoor starting pay, pay raises barely enough to keep up with inflation. Poor management, organizational, and training. Manditory Full Time, fixed in house hours - salary - no leeway. Back stabbed: is how I felt when I left this company, in many different ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitically-charged hiring, firing, promoting, and loathing is not what I nor I'm sure anyone seeks in their management. Infrastructure must grow with profits and business. People skills, providing sufficient training, providing your crucial departments with the staff it needs, and common sense ethics managing employees would be a great start.

Toxic, oppressive, and miserable: adjectives to describe working at FFG.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsFFG offers a substantial discount to employees.

Working with a bunch of lovable nerds.

Your friends will envy your "fun" job.

ConsPoor foresight by the CEO and management results in products that are pushed through development too fast, producing many errors. Although this is a managerial issue, the subalterns are punished.

FFG fosters a culture of intolerance. Many of its products are sexist or racist (to be fair, this is common in the industry). There is very little diversity among FFG employees, and FFG does not make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.

Workers are expected to sacrifice their personal lives for the company's gain and will not see any kind of compensation for this sacrifice. Also, to say that pay is not competitive is an understatement.

Departments act like information silos and collaboration is rare.

Management arbitrarily makes decisions. Projects are killed without explanation. Expect a chaotic work place where each day brings a newly-hatched plan that needs to be completed on an unrealistic schedule.

There is no praise for a job well done, but there is no shortage of criticism for errors and mistakes. Rather than embracing a healthy attitude for revision, management expects employees to perform flawlessly in every situation. Workers are motivated only by the fear of losing their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace and encourage the creativity and drive of staff members.

Increase accountability for management, and hire managers with experience and knowledge.

Develop a quality control process that works.

Break down silos between departments and encourage collaboration.

Give employees adequate time to complete tasks, and reward them for a job well done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TERRIBLE place to work

ProsLax dress code
    Nice discount on some merchandising

ConsVery meddlesome CEO

Designs, concepts and ideas often rejected for no valid reasons

Money poured into projects that go no where and ultimately become a loss

You are constantly watched, judged and belittled no matter how hard you work

Management has absolutely NO experience and will go to junior staff for answers and advice on how to run their departments

There is no HR

No professionalism.. Staff and management often act very rude and childish to one another. There is also quite a bit of backstabbing that takes place.

Any issues you confidentially bring up to management will be used against you

Compensation is laughable. Employees are paid salary as they are expected to work overtime. Your passion and excitement for your job will ultimately be exploited in this way.

There is an extremely high turnover rate at the company. Though they are small, they are constantly hiring. There is no job security whatsoever, and in fact, most employees will likely get fired for no reason (even with glowing annual reviews). Life expectancy for a job here is about 2-3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire actual management
    Hire an HR representative to work for the employees and not against them
    Pay employees a livable wage
    Focus on honest business practices
    Current CEO to take a step back or hire actual CEO

Bleak

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsAmazing game discounts, cool customers, prestige of "working in the gaming industry"

ConsTerrible co-workers. Very cliquey - like high school.
    There are no content editors, errors frequently end up printed.
    Your name won't get into credits of games you played a major role in creating - even when you point out that it's missing before it goes to print... "oh, yeah, we'll add that.." NOPE.
    No communication between junior and senior staff as far as what's going on with your job position - no growth to move forward, always afraid of getting fired even though your supervisor tells you what a good job you're doing.
    Some people really lack social skills here and shouldn't be people-managers, because they'll go out of their way to avoid conflict. Problems never get solved. No HR department. Awful. Pay is just a little bit better than what you'd make working retail fulltime.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry visiting a couple real companies and seeing how they run an office.

FFG Turned my Dream job into a Nightmare.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGreat IPs. Wonderful, collaberative junior staff. Looks great on a resume.

ConsI was so thrilled to get this job! My absolute dream job. But a year in, it's making me miserable.
    -Public verbal abuse by CEO: CEO Christian Petersen will insult, belittle, and publicly shame employees in full sight of their coworkers. He is, single handedly, the most terrible boss I've ever had.
    -Staff under constant threat of being fired on a whim, reminded often of how easily they can be replaced. There is no such thing as job security here.
    -Barely pays a living wage. Employees with families to support often have to rely on government assistance, or a breadwinning spouse.
    -Salary pay ensures that company does not have to pay employees for overtime, but every employee is expected to work overtime. Sometimes upwards of 80 hours a week to run playtests/ create ads/ produce mock-ups/etc. If you're lucky enough to make 29,000/yr, that means you're earning less than 7.00/hr.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a living wage.
    Stop threatening employees.
    Fire Christian Petersen.

Cool bucket list job but not a long term career opportunity.

Associate Game Producer (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

Pros- Getting played to play-test games.
    - Huge discounts on company products.
    - Friendly coworkers.

Cons- Low pay ($28,000)
    - Long days (50-60 hours per week)
    - No job security (employees fired without warning or explanation)
    - No HR department to help solve inner company issues
    - CEO micromanagers most aspects of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to be proper leaders. Empower your employees to make decisions.

Stay away. Not worth it.

Editor (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsIt's a fun field with fun products. Many of the employees are awesome people. They get to publish big-name licenses. BUT...

ConsThe environment is beyond toxic. Management is capricious and disloyal. Pay is terrible even for the industry, and job security is a joke. Don't be fooled by happy talk from a few long-timers or insiders - ask any of the many, many ex-employees, and find out just why such a tiny company is doing so much hiring all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoard: fire the CEO. A business is supposed to be a tool for making money, not a plaything for temperamental man-children.

A good place for budding game designers to hone their skills and learn about the hobby industry.

Content Creator (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsExcellent place to start contributing to game design projects and to work with veterans of the industry. Great company values and job security due to forward thinking market positioning. Ability to work with latest and greatest software packages.

ConsThere is limited growth potential and the compensation could be limited depending on your family life situation. Bottlenecks in project development due to limited bandwidth sometimes cause frustrations.

There's just as much manipulative game-playing involved in working with FFG as there is in the games they produce.

Contractor (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsWarm and welcoming junior staff. Impressive list of IPs.

ConsLow pay despite company growth. Toxic office politics including backstabbing, intimidation and petty gossip that continues long after employees leave the company. Management taking credit for the work and ideas of others while sweeping originators under the carpet and treating them like a threat to their advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe respectful to your past and present employees as they do keep in touch and compare their experiences. Don't treat former employees like competition to your business.

Worked for Fantasy Flight Games? Contribute to the Community!