FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brett N Heap

Software Engineer at Farheap

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at FarHeap Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a good place, startup environment, lot to learn from start to finish and people and work life balance is good.

ConsCompany stability, no clear vision from upper management, growth opportunities and exposure to latest technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to take the company to the next level.

Could have been a great place to work

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at FarHeap Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of technology, Room to add new ideas and make everything run better.

ConsUnder appreciated, poor compensation, Owner doesn't believe employees want things like nights off or weekends. There is no expectation of personal plans or a life outside of the company. Benefits have been slashed. New jobs go the people willing to work for the least even if they aren't competent for the work. Raises and bonuses are unheard of, unless you can get a manager who will fight for you desperately. Even when ideas are impractical and expensive, if it's what the Owner wants it's what he gets, no matter what.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the managers actually manage the departments within the company. Everybody needs to lay off the micromanaging

Good place to earn experience in building e-commerce website but pure management and no benefit

Developer (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly
Developer are cool, can learn something from each of them
Very relaxing because not much work to do sometime

ConsPure management, let people go when switch strategy without any prior warning
Dont know what is really going on, no room for growth or any advance in career
No specifications or requirements, change the requirements often which lead to very hard to design and implementation
Very poor benefits (no 401k, no vision insurance, very low dental and health care insurance) You are pretty much pay for all the insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould think about the company's strategy and let people know in advance
Should award hard-working employees

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company takes on the personality of it's leader and Farheap is an inexperienced company.

Plant Manager (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsThere is a desire to innovate.
Provides some jobs in a low income area.
Good print quality.

ConsLack of experience on all levels.
Unprofessional.
No leadership or direction
Disregard for reputation within the industry and among it's employees

Advice to Senior ManagementSell.

Average salary, flexible hours, confused future

I have been working at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsFun atmosphere. Great, smart people....I can say that for awhile I was very proud of working with so many smart people. Free sodas!

ConsConstant confusion as to the direction of the company. There seems to be constant turmoil as to where the company is headed and with what purpose or if there are any goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease think things through before you do it and please communicate with the teams whatever it is that your excited about.

Lost the plot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsFlexible working hours, good benefits, decent pay, little pressure.

ConsOld boys (and girls) network, all of upper management are friends. Spouses/girlfriends are routinely hired despite skill for job. Company was in on ground floor of online printing but now is getting passed by competitors who are more mature/professional. Little pressure in most positions but this is because of a lack of management rather than a relaxed atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your friends and instead hire competent people. Focus on core business.

Say NO!!! to Farheap and Opensoft

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsUnless you're one of the executives who are currently draining the company of every dollar possible in order to enrich themselves at any cost - there is not any good reason to work for Farheap (Opensoft). That is unless you have absolutely no other alternative.

ConsNo work / life balance. No security. FH is a dead-end for anyone except the execs that are currently draining the company dry of all it's resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you.

Awful place because of non-professional management and owners

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsBasically you can learn there new technologies and business but you could not teach and polish that skills on their projects. Just getting superficial knowledge.
Possibly you may count on competitive salary but package is too poor, also unstable company dependency on sells from overnightprints.com may easily cut off your earns and salary.

ConsCompany likes to hire weak management with JUST strong desire to have a power over others, they are not leaders. People who work there are juniors, H1s and immigrants. This is why this management is too angry for a power.

The company is very bureaucracy. Once again this is a management strategy. All your initiatives will be used against you one day.

They easily fire out skilled guys and even whole teams can be terminated in one day!

Opensoft, LLC as a subsidiary SW development/QA service provider with general manager Roumen Antonov (very negative person) is absolutely non-competitive company in this country.
This manager together with old-fashioned QA manager turned this company into bureaucratic and weak way, demotivating their employee every day with non stable strategy and sly plans in mind.
I wounder how this management got their positions, may be recruitment is a question?
Mostly old party of highly skilled professional are left that company. So now the team is just contractors and outstaffing from India and Russia which still can't deliver any ready to go project - just spending owner's money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about people management in IT, improve your technical skills too, otherwise your employee will fool you as usual.
And a most important - just try to hide your happiness of power. People feel that as a smell in air and don't like to suffer from your ambitions. Most guys hate you out for all these shits!

I worked for them 4+ years. And no longer wish to contribute over thsese deals

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsA nice place to start a career path and not having chance to compare with others ventures. Once you know how to work in sw companies...

ConsAmazing and agressive approach on transforming business and spending lots of money and by the way breaking employment satisfaction. Not sure whether should i blame them or not. But people are concerned by this way. Will see how it's going on down the road!

Somehow management should have a quite knowledge of how to recognize good employee and determine right business models. Otherwise this management is just money loosers.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite and take it easy

Good place to get your feet wet

Web Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FarHeap Solutions, Inc.

ProsIf you're interested in learning technologies, then FarHeap is for you; since starting there, people have learned JSF, Facelets, Tomcat, ActiveMQ / OpenMQ / JMS, JCR, etc. Free sodas and food. Lunch every Friday, and if your group is working really late on a time-sensitive project, they'll often buy dinner. They also have a great ping-pong room to help burn off steam or to wake yourself up when the 2 pm food coma hits.

It's a young office - I would estimate the average age is 25.

They are interested in hearing employees' ideas. Any employee can submit an idea on a "one pager".

Well-stocked supplies cabinet.

401k matching plan.

They do seek a work-life balance. Policies within the past year have changed the environment dramatically. They only time period they request your presence in the office is 10:30 to 5. VPN is readily available.

Open-source software used almost everywhere.

ConsFarHeap is a good place to get your feet wet if you're fresh out of school (hence, the average age is young), and as soon as you get that experience or a better offer, time to bolt.

Salary and benefits. Just about everyone in development is underpaid. We also just got the new numbers for the health plan - what was once a great PPO plan is now an ugly PPO plan. The HMO plan is not much better. One week of vacation AFTER you complete your first year, and again, one week of vacation after you complete your second year.

The salary / benefits issue is one reason why they're heavily understaffed. Which leads me to the next issue - the company's interest in employees' ideas: they haven't shown interest in branching beyond the existing business model. Admittedly, that's up to them, but IMHO it's time they start experimenting a bit before they find their chief business - online business printing via OvernightPrints.com - is out of business due to competition. The main excuse is that they're understaffed - that's because they don't pay enough. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of developers eager to try new things, and they're being held back. It brings to mind the Langston Hughes poem "Dream Deferred".

The development office is in an industrial section of the city, and it's not exactly the nicest office in the world, at least compared to the corporate office which is only 5 minutes drive away. Supposedly we were going to move into the corporate office's building a few months back. That now doesn't look like it's going to happen.

The division director, chief architect, and talent recruiter all have offices. The rest of us have low-wall cubes. It can get quite noisy in the office.

More than a few people - including higher-ups - have been highly unprofessional at times while inside the office. I'm told the owner is better than he used to be; even then, it's a wonder this place hasn't been sued for sexual harassment. At least one member of HR has claimed ignorance even though they observed inappropriate commentary while in the office.

Binding arbitration employment contract.

Employment contract was missing paperwork - paperwork that they still haven't been able to produce.

The developer PCs are massively underpowered. A 2.4 GHz single-core Pentium 4 with 1 to 1.5 GB RAM was a great machine a few years ago. In today's world, that's nowhere close to bare minimum.

Regarding the use of open-source - there are two problems with this:
1) There's a big NBH (not built here) perspective in the development group. Which leads us to building really hard to maintain and buggy software.
2) Some open-source software is great. Much of it is really, really bad, and doesn't do what we need it to do, which in turn makes us less efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries to the proper levels. Restore the old benefits package - and consider improving it; one week of vacation after the first year is not acceptable. Get us better PCs. Move us into a better office. Start hiring, then break out of your shell. Create a code of conduct.

Worked for FarHeap Solutions, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FarHeap Solutions, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FarHeap Solutions, Inc. CEO Brett N Heap. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by FarHeap Solutions, Inc. employees.