Fareway Stores

3.6

F. William Beckwith

Best job yet

I worked at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay really well, easy to get raises, management promotes personal growth, and the supervisors want the best for those in the management training program

Cons

Hard work- sometimes long days, but you usually get the days you need off if you give your manager enough notice, and always SUNDAYS OFF :)

I enjoyed my time at Fareway Stores and miss the place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, IA

I have been working at Fareway Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Fareway for about a year and only left when a family event required I leave. I don't think I've ever worked for a company where everyone was so friendly. I don't know if it was just Iowa or the company, but everyone was just so nice. Friendly Upper Management, friendly co-workers and decent pay.

I worked in the IT department and it was staffed with knowledgeable people that knew what they were doing. I loved what I was doing.

In my opinion this company really cares for it's employees and the employees seem to really care for the company. When you work at a place that treats you so well and you enjoy it, it's hard not to have loyalty. It is a privately held company so there is that big happy family feeling which is nice.

I could go on and on. If you get a chance to work for Fareway take it. I really enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Not really a fault of the company but there is a lack of diversity. If you look at Iowa's demographics something becomes glaringly obvious and that is reflected in the employee make-up.

This is a traditional company with traditional values. While that was no problem for me, I still did experience a bit of culture shock when I first began working for the company. The dress code, management style, and the whole atmosphere has a very "back in the old days" feeling. It might turn off potential younger employees.

This last con is not an issue of the company, but rather where it is. I really liked Iowa. It's people were friendly to my family, it's very clean and it seems like a great place to raise a family. However, if you aren't absolutely in love with farmland, corn and the farmland landscape you're gonna be bored.

Company values - right on target

Benefits - tuition assistance might make the company a more attractive option

Try to hire more women and minorities.

Expand operations deeper into surrounding states like Wisconsin. You'll be a hit.

Fun place to work

I worked at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is enjoyable with the work not being too demanding or stressful. It's fun to work with the other employees and it is relatively easy to move up in responsibility. Scheduling is pretty flexible and can be worked around your schedule.

Cons

The work isn't that intellectually stimulating and can become monotonous. The pay increases as you go but still isn't much above minimum wage.

Okay job for a high school student or someone in college, pays more than minimum wage.

Former Employee - Stocker, Checker
    Former Employee - Stocker, Checker

I worked at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn new skills quickly, great coworkers, good beginning job, large raises, great opportunity to learn basic management skills

Cons

Lack of supervision, uneven workload, inconsistent hours (they give more hours to the people who make less money), the company definitely favored male employees over female in management positions

Quality, family oriented grocery business.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Fairmont, MN
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Fairmont, MN

I have been working at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No work on Sundays. Staff wants you to have a personal life outside of work. Managers are very proud and supportive of the "Fareway" culture.

Cons

Very bare bone staff, have to work hard when you are at work. No overtime for part timers.

Talk more to younger part time employees about opportunities with Fareway in the future.

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Stocker, Checker
    Current Employee - Stocker, Checker

I have been working at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sundays and holidays off, pay isn't too bad for part time

Cons

To become a manager, you have to transfer several times to different stores
    Work almost every single Saturday (which comes with any retail job)

Currently working at Fareway Stores as a male.

Current Employee - Male Worker
    Current Employee - Male Worker

I have been working at Fareway Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling is great and is usually the same week to week.
    Can be a fun environment but is dependent on customers' and workers' attitudes.
    Management program available to people looking to pursue a career.

Cons

The pay is inadequate for skill level. (I have worked for about three years and make less then two people who were part-time for about a year. Guys who are working there currently make the same or a quarter less then I do and I have one to two years superiority to them.)

Expected to train other employees in the sections they are needing help in without any recognition or training.

In some stores, you can be trained in various jobs but other stores tend to be gender-based and borderline sexist when it comes to various tasks. (i.e. checking is only for women and carry-out only for males. No women are allowed to perform stocking duties before store hours (truck deliveries 5am to 8am))

High turnover rate causes a constant need for new employees and the training that comes with.

Favorites and gossip is very common between full-time employees.

Often expected to stay later then scheduled on the night manager's whim without any say in the matter.

Rewarding employees is a good thing to do. Spending money to improve the store is an alright expense as well.

Great Company

I have been working at Fareway Stores

Pros

Flexible, Good pay, great first job, good experience, room for advancement

Cons

Monotonous, potential poor coworkers, only advancement within Iowa.

Very good first job

Current Employee - Meat Department Worker
    Current Employee - Meat Department Worker

I have been working at Fareway Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work with fun people
    get paid well for a part time job
    relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Some of the work is gross
    rude customers
    slow work days during winter

Overall I can't complain. My manager was very laid back, and never had any scheduling hours or problems with management.

Good company

Current Employee - Cashier in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Fareway Stores part-time

Pros

Nice place to work. Nice people.

Cons

Having to unload customer carts.