Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan Reviews

Updated August 1, 2014
Updated August 1, 2014

Wayne H. Wood

Great company, even better people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They are some of nicest people you will ever work with. Being a city person, I learned a great deal about how much of an effect farming has on the way we live. They take care of their people. It truly is like being part of a family. I still go back frequently to visit my former co workers.

Cons

The pay wasn't the greatest but that is mostly because raises were minimized to avoid laying people off due to the economy struggles.

President of the company is very professional.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work for a small insurance agency and like my job. The president is very professional and ethical and does the insurance industry as it should be done by helping people with their insurance needs.

Cons

Not making enough money. I am the only service person for a busy insurance office. Farm Bureau Corporate is very archaic we have to fax all changes instead of doing things electronically.

Agency management needs to be more organized with pay structure and duties.

Stable company - Not on the lookout for employees

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time

Pros

Earning potential is generally good

Cons

Watch others move up around you with little education while they fight for you to pursue more in order to justify your next raise. I have a Masters and worked under someone who had nothing... literally nothing... and all i heard was to pursue more education...

dont take advantage of the time of people who appreciate their time. Salary employees are abused.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

For a person just starting an insurance agent career, if you cannot get into another company, you can most likely get into Farm Bureau Insurance.

Cons

Promises made during interview are not kept! The begin by acting as if you are part of the team but once you are released to sell, the pressure is on, especially for life insurance sales. To achieve maximum income you have to sell over 24 life policies every six months!!! And you better be able to drum up a lot of P&C sales as well or else you are at base commission, which is not that great!!! Also, Managing Partners are like sharks, waiting for you to bleed so they can devour you and give the book you were building to another agent, that is probably a hunting or drinking buddy of theirs!!!

Recruit some Managing Partners that have experience in the Insurance Industry, get rid of those that sold radio commercial time, were HR managers or owned an auto body repair shop. How in the heck can this caliber of Managing Partner pull Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance out of the stone age into the current age? Change or Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance is sure to go the way of other forgotten Insurance Companies!

Old company

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Pros

Stable Job. Gain experience if you have none.

Cons

Older workers dominate the workplace. Hard to gain respect if you are not 40 yrs. old+.

Move forward into the 21st century

Agent

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

You get to see how the insurance industry works. You get to learn that every other insurance company pays more and offers cheaper insurance rates. You get to meet some great potential clients and really get to know them. Most Clients will love you until your renewal comes and the rate is up 20%. Truly fantastic claims service! Some of the Home Office staff really are great, but they are few and far between

Cons

1) They tell you that you will be the owner of your business. Not really, they own your book of business and they can control you and your schedule by threat of termination.
    2) You can start your own business with very little money, Maybe true but you will be paying them back about $40,000 over three years and that will be pretty much all your profit (paycheck)
    3) Rates for years were very stable but for the last two years rates have gone up every six months. Not just a little but as much as 40%. They always say a rate increase of 5% company wide- but that was never the case for my clients.
    4) Worst computer programs possible. Some of the quoting system still runs on DOS. CRAZY!!!
    5) It is a Good Ol Boys Club. If the manager likes you, then you can do no wrong. If not then you better stay very quiet, or you will be gone. Matter of fact, best thing that can happen to you is be let go. Might hurt at the moment but you will be better off!
    5) average commission of P&C is 6%, two years ago it was 10%
    6) Total focus is on selling life insurance. If you can't sell life insurance you will not last long. Worst part is the life department is run like a preschool and they make more mistakes than you could ever believe, all at your expense. Average life commission is 15% unlike most companies that pay 100-125% of first years premium with a trailing commission for several years. Farm Bureau pays VERY Poorly!
    7) Managers will promise you the world to get you hired. They have a quota and they must meet, so even if the area is over loaded with agents, they still tell you how great the company is and that in 3 years you will be making $150,000 a year. I never made more than 80,000 and from that had to come all my rent, staffing, utilities, insurance, and marketing. At the end of the year you will see that maybe you took home $10,000 or less!

Fire 80% of managing partners, they are nothing but a bunch of freeloaders and drunks. Stop treating agent and the agent system as a pyramid scheme and allow the agent to actually survive their first 5 years. If you are going to treat agents like independent agents then pay them like independent agents. I enjoyed my time at Farm Bureau, I learned a lot. But the cost of working there was such a large cost. How many agents have to go bankrupt before you believe that they are not making enough money to survive.

Outside home owner/commercial property claims adjuster

Former Employee - Outside Property/Commercial Claims Adjuster  in  Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Property/Commercial Claims Adjuster in Wayne, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They are a great company to work for with a great drive for customer service as do I.
    I have enjoyed my work experience with the company, and am looking for a career change after being in the claims adjusting for 32-years.

Cons

working on theft related losses.
    Climbing on steep roofs, danger hazard.

I love sharing my ideas with management in keeping a open mind, as to making the company a bigger,better,faster, and stronger one!

Love working here!

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time

Pros

Never had a bad experience working here.

Cons

It is difficult to get a lower level position because of intense competition.

Excellent until latest executive vice president put in power.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Pros

The people who are left are great friends.

Cons

I have never seen worse morale in any company all those who are still there are wondering if they will have a job tomorrow especially those getting up in years
    Top management decided taking away all manager titles was a morale booster, these people earned there titles now they are all team players, they were before. What happened to good old capitalism where you moved up the ladder to earn a title. They also believe that anybody can do anyone's job in two weeks so they switched a bunch of people and now nobody is competent at what they do in many areas and they wonder why their best rating keeps gong down.
    Top management down, they push camaraderie, which is fine, however they base promotions on if you go out drinking with them and not your competence, again and they wonder why the best rating keeps going down. Education is pushed, which is fine, if management would take some classes too. Top management seems to be worried more about where the next party with the agents will be or the next MSU game as all this goes on the tab. The board of trusties is letting this go on, not sure if they are oblivious or at the party too.

Lead by example not what your doing now.

No Praise for Farm Bureau Here

Current Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Pros

Sorry, I can't provide any. I've worked for this company for five years, but I can't come up with anything positive to say about this company. This company fails to even remotely live up to their Core Values. They show little regard for their employees, including their agent force, which should be viewed as business partners.

Cons

Dismal benefits for an insurance company. Nepotism prevails. Management is very incompetent. The company operates like no other I've seen. There still in the 1950's and very behind the times in technology as well as management relations.

Exit the closet you've been hiding in, go back to school and get up to speed with the real world of corporate business.

Worked for Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!