Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wayne H. Wood

Old company

ProsStable Job. Gain experience if you have none.

ConsOlder workers dominate the workplace. Hard to gain respect if you are not 40 yrs. old+.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove forward into the 21st century

HORRIBLE

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsFor a person just starting an insurance agent career, if you cannot get into another company, you can most likely get into Farm Bureau Insurance.

ConsPromises made during interview are not kept! The begin by acting as if you are part of the team but once you are released to sell, the pressure is on, especially for life insurance sales. To achieve maximum income you have to sell over 24 life policies every six months!!! And you better be able to drum up a lot of P&C sales as well or else you are at base commission, which is not that great!!! Also, Managing Partners are like sharks, waiting for you to bleed so they can devour you and give the book you were building to another agent, that is probably a hunting or drinking buddy of theirs!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit some Managing Partners that have experience in the Insurance Industry, get rid of those that sold radio commercial time, were HR managers or owned an auto body repair shop. How in the heck can this caliber of Managing Partner pull Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance out of the stone age into the current age? Change or Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance is sure to go the way of other forgotten Insurance Companies!

Agent

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to see how the insurance industry works. You get to learn that every other insurance company pays more and offers cheaper insurance rates. You get to meet some great potential clients and really get to know them. Most Clients will love you until your renewal comes and the rate is up 20%. Truly fantastic claims service! Some of the Home Office staff really are great, but they are few and far between

Cons1) They tell you that you will be the owner of your business. Not really, they own your book of business and they can control you and your schedule by threat of termination.
    2) You can start your own business with very little money, Maybe true but you will be paying them back about $40,000 over three years and that will be pretty much all your profit (paycheck)
    3) Rates for years were very stable but for the last two years rates have gone up every six months. Not just a little but as much as 40%. They always say a rate increase of 5% company wide- but that was never the case for my clients.
    4) Worst computer programs possible. Some of the quoting system still runs on DOS. CRAZY!!!
    5) It is a Good Ol Boys Club. If the manager likes you, then you can do no wrong. If not then you better stay very quiet, or you will be gone. Matter of fact, best thing that can happen to you is be let go. Might hurt at the moment but you will be better off!
    5) average commission of P&C is 6%, two years ago it was 10%
    6) Total focus is on selling life insurance. If you can't sell life insurance you will not last long. Worst part is the life department is run like a preschool and they make more mistakes than you could ever believe, all at your expense. Average life commission is 15% unlike most companies that pay 100-125% of first years premium with a trailing commission for several years. Farm Bureau pays VERY Poorly!
    7) Managers will promise you the world to get you hired. They have a quota and they must meet, so even if the area is over loaded with agents, they still tell you how great the company is and that in 3 years you will be making $150,000 a year. I never made more than 80,000 and from that had to come all my rent, staffing, utilities, insurance, and marketing. At the end of the year you will see that maybe you took home $10,000 or less!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 80% of managing partners, they are nothing but a bunch of freeloaders and drunks. Stop treating agent and the agent system as a pyramid scheme and allow the agent to actually survive their first 5 years. If you are going to treat agents like independent agents then pay them like independent agents. I enjoyed my time at Farm Bureau, I learned a lot. But the cost of working there was such a large cost. How many agents have to go bankrupt before you believe that they are not making enough money to survive.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outside home owner/commercial property claims adjuster

Outside Property/Commercial Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Wayne, MI

ProsThey are a great company to work for with a great drive for customer service as do I.
    I have enjoyed my work experience with the company, and am looking for a career change after being in the claims adjusting for 32-years.

Consworking on theft related losses.
    Climbing on steep roofs, danger hazard.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love sharing my ideas with management in keeping a open mind, as to making the company a bigger,better,faster, and stronger one!

Love working here!

ProsNever had a bad experience working here.

ConsIt is difficult to get a lower level position because of intense competition.

Excellent until latest executive vice president put in power.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lansing, MI

ProsThe people who are left are great friends.

ConsI have never seen worse morale in any company all those who are still there are wondering if they will have a job tomorrow especially those getting up in years
    Top management decided taking away all manager titles was a morale booster, these people earned there titles now they are all team players, they were before. What happened to good old capitalism where you moved up the ladder to earn a title. They also believe that anybody can do anyone's job in two weeks so they switched a bunch of people and now nobody is competent at what they do in many areas and they wonder why their best rating keeps gong down.
    Top management down, they push camaraderie, which is fine, however they base promotions on if you go out drinking with them and not your competence, again and they wonder why the best rating keeps going down. Education is pushed, which is fine, if management would take some classes too. Top management seems to be worried more about where the next party with the agents will be or the next MSU game as all this goes on the tab. The board of trusties is letting this go on, not sure if they are oblivious or at the party too.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example not what your doing now.

No Praise for Farm Bureau Here

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
    Plymouth, MI

ProsSorry, I can't provide any. I've worked for this company for five years, but I can't come up with anything positive to say about this company. This company fails to even remotely live up to their Core Values. They show little regard for their employees, including their agent force, which should be viewed as business partners.

ConsDismal benefits for an insurance company. Nepotism prevails. Management is very incompetent. The company operates like no other I've seen. There still in the 1950's and very behind the times in technology as well as management relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementExit the closet you've been hiding in, go back to school and get up to speed with the real world of corporate business.

Like working for family

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Monroe, MI

ProsI work for an independent agent and we are definitely close. Any time off needed for sick children or school is given. Even the employees in our corporate office get to know us individually not just as the 'receptionist'.

ConsIt feels as though I am not properly compensated. I was hired in at $2.00/hour less than advertised because I had little experience and 3 1/2 years later am still not making that because he cannot "afford" to give us raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the office staff that have to look our clients in the face. Also, claims service and communication with clients needs some work.

Worked for Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan CEO Wayne H. Wood. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan employees.