Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

3.2
Wayne H. Wood

1. Great company!

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Pros

The company culture is great. Hire and promote within.

Cons

Antiquated software. Difficult for clients to manage.

2. One of the best Auto and Home insurance companies

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time

Pros

If your an Agent you really get to build a business but it will take you 5 years at least to start making money. Its a great company and they have a good name in the business.

Cons

You must sell life insurance if you want to make any real money. You don't have much direction, you are kinda on your own, which is great but if your new you may need some help to stay on track.

Advice to Management

Pay something for two years to agents until their renewels really kick in and get ride of the slacker agents quicker.

3. Agent

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Western Location, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Western Location, MI

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ok not bad, they allow you to try it on your own, but they don't offer support.

Cons

They promise you the world and don't deliver. most of the MP's know nothing. Warning if you do not have insurance experience do not take this job or you will not make it.

Advice to Management

Change the model and allow some agents to start with a staff because it is a glorified producer now, not a business owner

5. President of the company is very professional.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Saint Clair Shores, MI

Pros

I work for a small insurance agency and like my job. The president is very professional and ethical and does the insurance industry as it should be done by helping people with their insurance needs.

Cons

Not making enough money. I am the only service person for a busy insurance office. Farm Bureau Corporate is very archaic we have to fax all changes instead of doing things electronically.

Advice to Management

Agency management needs to be more organized with pay structure and duties.

6. Great company, even better people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are some of nicest people you will ever work with. Being a city person, I learned a great deal about how much of an effect farming has on the way we live. They take care of their people. It truly is like being part of a family. I still go back frequently to visit my former co workers.

Cons

The pay wasn't the greatest but that is mostly because raises were minimized to avoid laying people off due to the economy struggles.

7. Stable company - Not on the lookout for employees

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time

Pros

Earning potential is generally good

Cons

Watch others move up around you with little education while they fight for you to pursue more in order to justify your next raise. I have a Masters and worked under someone who had nothing... literally nothing... and all i heard was to pursue more education...

Advice to Management

dont take advantage of the time of people who appreciate their time. Salary employees are abused.

8. HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For a person just starting an insurance agent career, if you cannot get into another company, you can most likely get into Farm Bureau Insurance.

Cons

Promises made during interview are not kept! The begin by acting as if you are part of the team but once you are released to sell, the pressure is on, especially for life insurance sales. To achieve maximum income you have to sell over 24 life policies every six months!!! And you better be able to drum up a lot of P&C sales as well or else you are at base commission, which is not that great!!! Also, Managing Partners are like sharks, waiting for you to bleed so they can devour you and give the book you were building to another agent, that is probably a hunting or drinking buddy of theirs!!!

Advice to Management

Recruit some Managing Partners that have experience in the Insurance Industry, get rid of those that sold radio commercial time, were HR managers or owned an auto body repair shop. How in the heck can this caliber of Managing Partner pull Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance out of the stone age into the current age? Change or Michigan Farm Bureau Insurance is sure to go the way of other forgotten Insurance Companies!

9. Old company

I have been working at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan

Pros

Stable Job. Gain experience if you have none.

Cons

Older workers dominate the workplace. Hard to gain respect if you are not 40 yrs. old+.

Advice to Management

Move forward into the 21st century

10. Agent

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get to see how the insurance industry works. You get to learn that every other insurance company pays more and offers cheaper insurance rates. You get to meet some great potential clients and really get to know them. Most Clients will love you until your renewal comes and the rate is up 20%. Truly fantastic claims service! Some of the Home Office staff really are great, but they are few and far between

Cons

1) They tell you that you will be the owner of your business. Not really, they own your book of business and they can control you and your schedule by threat of termination.
    2) You can start your own business with very little money, Maybe true but you will be paying them back about $40,000 over three years and that will be pretty much all your profit (paycheck)
    3) Rates for years were very stable but for the last two years rates have gone up every six months. Not just a little but as much as 40%. They always say a rate increase of 5% company wide- but that was never the case for my clients.
    4) Worst computer programs possible. Some of the quoting system still runs on DOS. CRAZY!!!
    5) It is a Good Ol Boys Club. If the manager likes you, then you can do no wrong. If not then you better stay very quiet, or you will be gone. Matter of fact, best thing that can happen to you is be let go. Might hurt at the moment but you will be better off!
    5) average commission of P&C is 6%, two years ago it was 10%
    6) Total focus is on selling life insurance. If you can't sell life insurance you will not last long. Worst part is the life department is run like a preschool and they make more mistakes than you could ever believe, all at your expense. Average life commission is 15% unlike most companies that pay 100-125% of first years premium with a trailing commission for several years. Farm Bureau pays VERY Poorly!
    7) Managers will promise you the world to get you hired. They have a quota and they must meet, so even if the area is over loaded with agents, they still tell you how great the company is and that in 3 years you will be making $150,000 a year. I never made more than 80,000 and from that had to come all my rent, staffing, utilities, insurance, and marketing. At the end of the year you will see that maybe you took home $10,000 or less!

Advice to Management

Fire 80% of managing partners, they are nothing but a bunch of freeloaders and drunks. Stop treating agent and the agent system as a pyramid scheme and allow the agent to actually survive their first 5 years. If you are going to treat agents like independent agents then pay them like independent agents. I enjoyed my time at Farm Bureau, I learned a lot. But the cost of working there was such a large cost. How many agents have to go bankrupt before you believe that they are not making enough money to survive.

11. Outside home owner/commercial property claims adjuster

Former Employee - Outside Property/Commercial Claims Adjuster in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Property/Commercial Claims Adjuster in Wayne, MI

I worked at Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a great company to work for with a great drive for customer service as do I.
    I have enjoyed my work experience with the company, and am looking for a career change after being in the claims adjusting for 32-years.

Cons

working on theft related losses.
    Climbing on steep roofs, danger hazard.

Advice to Management

I love sharing my ideas with management in keeping a open mind, as to making the company a bigger,better,faster, and stronger one!

Farm Bureau Insurance of Michigan Photos

Street view of the building

+ Add Photo