Farm Family Casualty

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
2.1

Timothy A. Walsh

Great managers and amazing CEO!

Former Employee - Intern in Glenmont, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Glenmont, NY

I worked at Farm Family Casualty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and managers, CEO knows most employees by name and makes it a point to say "hello", Great wellness program and encourage walks around the outside of the building as well as inside

Cons

Pay was not great, cubicle atmosphere

Underwriter

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and good work/life balance.

Cons

Uncompetitive salaries.
    No formal training programs.

Run away as fast as you can

Current Employee - Records Center Specialist in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - Records Center Specialist in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I will give "the farm" a few benefits such as the benefits were great (except the extremely high insurance rates even with employee discounts). They have a woman running a program to set up trips, events at work, and all of that was great. They have some great long standing employees who are amazing at what they do.

Cons

With all of those pros being said this place is grossly underpaid. They have an extremely bad middle management and need to look more into internal policies to train management. From favoritism to extreme prejudice to those who accelerated in their roles faster I saw it all in my time at "the farm". I finally left the farm when I realized that I could continue working hard to move to a new position for a huge uplift in work for a few more dollars in my paycheck. If you are considering this place turn around and don't look back.

Look at your middle management and the high turnover departments specifically underwriting and records. Also make sure to utilize the resources you have, as some people have been there for years and are still making penny's and working similar positions. I would also suggest management training as some practices I had seen exercised were unfair and borderline prejudices.

Very disappointing

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time

Pros

The employees are great, but that is the only good thing I can say about "the farm"

Cons

Terrible pay - I have never worked so hard for so little
    In return. I have a friend who works at another firm, doing the same
    job earning more regularly than I do at time
    And a half.

Terrible systems - expect to come to work and not have a functional system until 11am on some occasions. Most days the systems are operating fine, but on days they aren't...
    You will be getting new assignments while sitting idle at your desk unable to do anything about it.. Very frustrating.

Anyone with talent leaves to work for better, more respectable firms.

No growth opportunity unless it is within your own department

You will not feel valued as an employee at all..

underwriting

I worked at Farm Family Casualty

Pros

great benefits, relaxed environment, lots of paid time off.

Cons

Training is terrible. Very high turnover rate. Salary is well below average. I agree with the other reviews, I have never worked so hard for a company for such little or no return.

look into fixing the salary structure. The company needs talent to succeed-- Money buys talent. All the talent is leaving to go to other companies. Most new employees learn quick that succeeding and making a livable salary is not possible here and leave the company. Be more competitive, create incentives/rewards to keep the good employees around. There are a hand full of people there who actually bust their butts for no return or recognition. This creates a very frustrating work environment.

Agent

Current Employee - Agent in Littleton, NH
    Current Employee - Agent in Littleton, NH

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Field Staff are great to work with. Make your own schedule. Earn more the harder you work.

Cons

They do not have a good training program. There new agent pay structure is not available anymore. You are a contractor with no bennys

Develop a better training program.

Frustrating

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty

Pros

People are very friendly and nice and no one ever seems to get fired for anything

Cons

No one ever gets fired, especially the people who deserve it like people who call in at least once a week even though they don't have any time off and the managers just push the workload off on those of us who do come to work everyday

Friendly company, respectful and educated line management. Awful pay for employees promoted from within.

Current Employee - Claims
    Current Employee - Claims

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty

Pros

Great health benefits. Good time off allowed. No issues with short notice time off. Family friendly. Set schedule monday through friday 8:30 - 4:30.
    Company keeps all employees informed about status of profit and future goals, etc.

Cons

If you are hired from another company, expect to be given fair compensation and all the other benefits that this company provides. Pay for employees that started their career with Farm Family is awful. Entry level positions at similar companies are higher paying than mid-level positions at this company. Raises are few and far between, and are limited when they are provided. Promotion potential is limited to your department. Transferring between departments is stated to be easy and allowed. The middle management limits this ability as they are unwilling to allow anyone with potential to move as you are an asset to their department and they can stop your mobility with a word.

Better Pay. Treat "home grown" employees with half as much interest as those hired from outside and this company will have no limit to its possibilities of success.