Farm Fresh Supermarkets

Great Experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets part-time

Pros

tight night working enviromnent, friendly

Cons

leadership changes often but the company continues to move forward in a positive direction

Bad Company

Former Employee - Seafood Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Seafood Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job opportunities, good first jobs for high school students. Employs the disabled and don't really flaunt it, which is respectable.

Cons

Awful company policies, inept managers. Worked multiple positions at multiple stores, saw the same problems everywhere. The company cuts corners everywhere to save money because it is a failing brand for SuperValu. Really disappointing to have to work around all of the awful policies, usually made by faceless entities that have no idea what your job actually entails.

Make more opportunities available for employees to offer input on company policies.

My Experience has been very good with Farm Fresh.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Farm Fresh Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid weekly, working with customers, new challenges, and over all nice co workers

Cons

right now I really cant think of any cons. I just started about a week ago so I am not really familiar with any cons.

The company provides a great experience with working with people and customers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Farm Fresh provides a great marketing opportunity. The people make the business. It will teach you to manage stress and work with difficult people. The company will teach you the hard work ethic that is required in the real world.

Cons

Management is a revolving door. It seems that the corporate office doesn't understand consistency. I understand that longtime leadership leads to complacency, but the method for picking new management lacks planning.

I suggest reviewing each management position because they are the most consistent portion of the business. The lower-level employees have a high turnover rate so the management needs to remain consistent store-to-store so that the company can maintain consistent margins and customer satisfaction. The rules change so often that it leads to customer confusion. Harris Teeter/Kroger will gobble up your market if you don't make a change.

I consider my experience at Farm Fresh to be very interesting, And educational

Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Farm Fresh Supermarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Farm Fresh due to the integrity and leadership that the managers and supervisors display on a daily basis. Weekly planning along with customer input allows the company to further growth and improvement of what we provide to our customers.

Cons

Some of the challenges to work in a big company like Farm Fresh is Keeping our customer happy due to vest amount of Competitors in the region

Your experience is what you make it.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at Farm Fresh Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home. Fair compensation if you excel and perform.Many opportunities to advance ,sky is the limit! PTO time off accrues throughout the year.

Cons

Constant change but that's retail. Poor life work balance.Highly stressful work environment.Responsible for store 24/7,must answer phone anytime of the day or night and be prepared to go to store to deal with issues.Difficult to use all your time off.I have had to roll over 40 hrs two years in a row. Lack of experienced dept Managers and associates.

Please spend some time getting to know your Management teams.Please try not to move Store Directors around so much, it hurts continuity among store teams.

there are better places to work

Former Employee - Cake Decorator
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

other employees if they actually take their job seriously and do the work

Cons

absolutely no connect with floor employees and upper management. Constantly micromanaged

take a day in a hourly employees shoes

I sincerely loved this job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They're starting salary wasn't minimum wage.

Cons

I had to stand on my feet for eight hours.

Get better rugs for your employees to stand on...the floors are extra hard.

Good starter/part time job, horrible full time job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helps anyone get a better feel for customer service in any kind of business.

Cons

Work long hours, little pay. Management works their 40 hours, and depending on the manager they will either clock out and work off the clock or clock out and not care what happens with the store. Store managers sit in the office for at least 8 hours of the 10 they put in a day and watch Facebook for comments and complaints about their store. Customer interaction from managers is slim to none unless they make a complaint on Facebook. The lack of assistants shows, if the front end has lines, deli has lines, or any other department has more than their fair share of customers waiting for service, the salary managers just look and walk away, but complain if someone who actually works hard to help out and give great customer service gets overtime. They do not promote from within, the last year years, they have been getting rid of employees who have been there for a decade or more and bringing in new people from other companies that do not help the face of the company.

good place to work for it's time

I worked at Farm Fresh Supermarkets

Pros

when the company was in Raleigh it was a good place

Cons

company changed hands too many times