Farmers Automobile Insurance
www.farmers.com Pekin, IL 500 to 999 Employees

Farmers Automobile Insurance Reviews

Updated Mar 7, 2014
Farmers Automobile Insurance – US – “the ocean of cubes”

Farmers Automobile Insurance CEO Jeffrey Dailey

Jeffrey Dailey

A great opportunity to learn.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThey strongly encourage and even offer to finance my getting my life and disability insurance licenses. The customers are really friendly and are nice to work with, they appreciate assistance.

ConsAt times I felt that I was supposed to be dishonest in some gray areas, and I didn't feel comfortable, and did not go along with it. My view of the agents became tarnished.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep all dates and records on the up and up, offer community services honestly for the purpose of future marketing in addition to helping out (instead of pretending to the staff that it was entirely a heartfelt motivation only to be asked to call on "leads" after). Be up front with office and business goals where it would affect your employees (i.e. hours available, office mergers, etc.).

Run Away

Agency Owner (Former Employee)
    Dayton, OH

ProsFarmers has financial backing by a large Swiss company. On paper they look like a solid company. Many of the agents are quality people who want the best for their customers.

ConsThat being said, there are so many glaring red flags with this company. There is little to no training offered and minimal support from the district manager. If you don't have at least $40k to invest in the business your expenses for leads and travel will make this a financial nightmare. You work 6-7 days a week minimally 60-80 hours with little to show because your expenses quickly exceed your income. Turnover is high because it's difficult to met the quarterly quota due to an adverse marketing position. Once you leave, the subsidy is repayable immediately--something the hiring managers never tell you--it's a loan not a salary. This is a scam meant to attract sales people to sell policies to their family and friends to boost the company's coffers. Then these get turned over to established agents based on the good graces of the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time to training new agents and helping them to becoming stable producers. Get rid of quotas and concentrate on quality business. Provide more money and resources to make agents more successful.

Don't walk........RUN!!!!

Special Claims Representative (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsA job.............people are nice, a paycheck, and health care.

ConsMicro manged, Management do not know what to do.an are basically lackeys of poor upper Management. Every failure from Progressive, as well the worst people who came from other companies gravitate to Farmers. HR, is a poor joke.

Horrible work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose your doors, start over. You have a staff that hates you. and no one cares.....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very disappointed

Agent (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsName recognition helped with sales

ConsQuota system means every quarter you may lose your contract. One policy short and you are out. This is even though you've invested your own money to build your own agency.....

Advice to Senior ManagementQuota system is bad for customers and agents. Agents who don't work will starve...don't need the company to demand that you sell so much of their product or else

Great company, pay, benefits, and company to start out with

Liability Claims Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job out of college, was fun a lot of times and you learn a lot about liability car insurance, things you wouldn't know otherwise. Company paid for 2 months of training, including travel. They were always promoting to get involved in whatever direction you want to go with the company, plenty of room for growth! Pay raise after one year and a small bonus.

ConsReally the only downside was the "numbers" you were expected to achieve. I understand it's the only way for them to set standards and to give incentive to getting the job done quicker, and several other things...but this is where corporate guidelines come in that most of the time don't make sense on the ground level. Felt some things were slightly unethical in obtaining these numbers. The other downside is that you have to talk to people involved in accidents that are flat out liars and you know are screwing the system-and its disgusting and so wrong. I couldn't stand talking to such fowl people-that's just a personal preference...of course you got to save the day for good people too!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your reps are telling you and actually take active to implement it on a local level vs. always trying to get something approved through corporate. If it works great, if it doesn't keep moving on until you find the best answer!

no room for advancement

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

Prosgreat people, fair pay, work volume adequate

Conshorrible claims system, no room for advanceent

Advice to Senior Managementprovide better and efficient resources to do the job

Lied too

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Bountiful, UT

Prosyou do start with a positive attitude

Consdistricts make a lot of promises and fail to hold up on them

Advice to Senior Managementyou might want to actually take some time to train the recruits rather than let them sell to all their family and friends and you let them go leaving you stuck with all those policy's

A very pleasant and informative process.

Reserve Agent (Current Employee)
    Itasca, IL

ProsIt allows me the opportunity to connect with people and help them assess their risk factors while nurturing a "Welcoming them into our Farmers Family" attitude and experience!!!

ConsSometimes there are situations where a dog has bitten a child or person and then if a claim was made that dog is considered DANGEROUS and thus makes that home a place where Farmers will not insure that home.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo new to really expound on this point.

Definition of expendable

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe sales training is extensive

ConsThe company uses new employees to get their friends and family signed up, sets simple sales goals for the first quarter then increases the goals drastically. No salary, straight draw which the company demands repaid in full upon termination, despite clear repayment terms in the contract.

Independent business ownership with full training support!

Captive Agent (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsYou own the business. Farmers subsidizes your pay for the first 3 years with $1000 increase each subsuquent year and if you achieve your targets, this subsidy never has to be paid back. Fully supportive training for the first 3 months and beyond to help you build your business quickly. Friendly people within the organization. Nicely packaged products for your customers. Farmers provides a nice number of internet leads to the agents on a daily basis for no change.

ConsYou have to work your butt off during the first year (as you would in any new business start up situation); There were some costs not mentioned by the recruiters that caught me by surprise like the $800 U4 background check and securities exams fees. However, they do give a nice bonus upon completion of the licensing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front about all costs the agents will encounter. The program is solid enough that most agents will not mind the fees, since those fees are compensated for in the completion bonus.

Worked for Farmers Automobile Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farmers Automobile Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Farmers Automobile Insurance CEO Jeffrey Dailey. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Farmers Automobile Insurance employees.