Farmers Automobile Insurance

Updated March 7, 2014

2.5

Farmers Automobile Insurance CEO Jeffrey Dailey
Jeffrey Dailey

A very pleasant and informative process.

Current Employee - Reserve Agent  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Reserve Agent in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

It allows me the opportunity to connect with people and help them assess their risk factors while nurturing a "Welcoming them into our Farmers Family" attitude and experience!!!

Cons

Sometimes there are situations where a dog has bitten a child or person and then if a claim was made that dog is considered DANGEROUS and thus makes that home a place where Farmers will not insure that home.

Too new to really expound on this point.

Independent business ownership with full training support!

Current Employee - Captive Agent  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Captive Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You own the business. Farmers subsidizes your pay for the first 3 years with $1000 increase each subsuquent year and if you achieve your targets, this subsidy never has to be paid back. Fully supportive training for the first 3 months and beyond to help you build your business quickly. Friendly people within the organization. Nicely packaged products for your customers. Farmers provides a nice number of internet leads to the agents on a daily basis for no change.

Cons

You have to work your butt off during the first year (as you would in any new business start up situation); There were some costs not mentioned by the recruiters that caught me by surprise like the $800 U4 background check and securities exams fees. However, they do give a nice bonus upon completion of the licensing.

Be up front about all costs the agents will encounter. The program is solid enough that most agents will not mind the fees, since those fees are compensated for in the completion bonus.

History of Service and Repair

Current Employee - Insurance Agent  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

professional committed and @ your side while not in your way.

Cons

Always good and bad, the bad, big comapny, tries to be all things to all people, which sometimes makes it difficult to stay ahead of the game

we know the quota system exists, and success take effort, work and skills, but pressing from above can produce negative results

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great environment

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Pros

Great office experience, lousy pay. The agent pays me out of his own salary so the pay is abysmal, but the environment and experience is great. I have much more knowledge about insurance and feel competant in the industry. There is no growth opportunities and i need to get another job. You get great knowledge but there is no growth you cant even become an agent. I just dont feel i am getting anything.

Cons

horrible horrible pay for my qualifications. I can not even survive on the pay. Also the agents are so incompetant. I have been working there for 6 mos and have more knowledge and abilities than the agent i work for. Its rediculous.

they cant really change it the pay comes from the agents

Great company, pay, benefits, and company to start out with

Former Employee - Liability Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Liability Claims Representative

I worked at Farmers Automobile Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job out of college, was fun a lot of times and you learn a lot about liability car insurance, things you wouldn't know otherwise. Company paid for 2 months of training, including travel. They were always promoting to get involved in whatever direction you want to go with the company, plenty of room for growth! Pay raise after one year and a small bonus.

Cons

Really the only downside was the "numbers" you were expected to achieve. I understand it's the only way for them to set standards and to give incentive to getting the job done quicker, and several other things...but this is where corporate guidelines come in that most of the time don't make sense on the ground level. Felt some things were slightly unethical in obtaining these numbers. The other downside is that you have to talk to people involved in accidents that are flat out liars and you know are screwing the system-and its disgusting and so wrong. I couldn't stand talking to such fowl people-that's just a personal preference...of course you got to save the day for good people too!

Listen to what your reps are telling you and actually take active to implement it on a local level vs. always trying to get something approved through corporate. If it works great, if it doesn't keep moving on until you find the best answer!

Salaried & state level employees need work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Pros

Depending on the position, agent csr's is an awesome position. Sometimes underwriting is helpful. Some state reps work really well with the agents,

Cons

When you have a District manager or a state sales manager that doesn't know the value of their agents, it's frustrating.

Don't use so much personal thought when it comes down to business. Take a look at density & retention.

OK place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate  in  Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Independence, OH

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Pros

It pays OK for the area, they are flexible on schedule, flex time is available if needed on an occassional basis.

Cons

It seems that it is not how good a job you do, it''s really "who" you know.

Pay attention to the people who take advantage of the system, and look at the time they are actually working.

Okay

Former Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Pros

Freedom, stability, recognition, pay, management

Cons

High rates, cold calling, stress, high expectation

Nothing

District Manager Training Assistant.

Current Employee - DMTA
    Current Employee - DMTA

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Pros

You are your own boss, so it makes your schedule very rewarding if you like the time off which I do.

Cons

The insurance rate of farmers insurance group is a bit higher than competing companies. It can at times be diffuicult to compete.

Management should have a better structure and carry out initiative better and in a more approprate manner if they want to be successful.

Worked for Farmers Automobile Insurance? Contribute to the Community!