Farmers Insurance Group

Farmers Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey

Jeff Dailey

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, global company and hence more exposure"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The ability to work from home, if your boss lets you, which is dependent on if your boss likes you or not"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work / life balance if you are not on the time card, as management expects your life to revolve around the company"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Upper management in this company is like a game of musical chairs"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This Is A Very Good Job

CSA (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a great job, with a wide range of positions and room for advancement. I enjoy my job, I like the people I work with and I like the opportunites that I have available to me that you really can't find anywhere else.

ConsSometimes you deal with people who aren't the friendliest - not uncommon if you've ever worked in customer service before.

Good place for families

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

ProsBenefits are top notch for families.

ConsCommunication from management could be clearer

Too many Chiefs not enough Indians

Auto Damage Adjuster (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIndependence. Friendly staff. Good Time Off

ConsFind every way not to pay you what your worth
Some.supervisors coddle.employees
Some employees are lazy and you end up doing their work and cleaning up their mess

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sweating every single detail. Stop forcing people to join work activities. Some people are just trying to earn a living not make friends. I am quite capable of hanging out with who I want to not who you try and force me to

Good Training, but bad product

Marketing Representative (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group part-time for more than a year

Pros-Training
-Own Schedule
-Great Co Workers

Cons-Horrible Rates
-No money for marketing to "Preferred" prospects
-Product is not good for average person

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as agency management, hang in there you are doing great. For Top level management, help agencies market to your desired prospects.

Great company, unlimited opportunity as a carreer

Agent Producer (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFarmers Insurance Group has a great training process for new agents. Not only working directly with the Assistant GM to get all your qualifications, but they will invest in you and send you to CA for Farmers University training where you can bounce ideas off new agents all over the country. They truly want you to succeed. Compensation is unlimited paralleled with the work you put into the job. It truly is a numbers game, you have to keep cold calling from good or bad leads.

ConsOnce trained, as a new agent you are building a book of business from scratch. You are selling a product that everyone needs, yet the customers that are upstanding citizens with assets you are trying to insure/write policies on have existing insurance and the only reason to switch to Farmers is price. Other than that, you are chasing after smaller customers for legal minimum coverage on auto policies and possibly renters insurance. Same as above: It truly is a numbers game, you have to keep cold calling from good or bad leads.

Many Reorgs, Shifting operations out of California

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time

ProsPleasant coworkers
Location
Financial assistance on professional examinations

ConsOperations being moved out of LA office through layoffs and attrition so the work environment was not great for many business units.
No opportunity for growth, few promotions in LA
Many jobs replaced out of state with H1-B visa employees

Run fast, run far away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood employee discounts nationally, newer equipment to use, easy to transfer around within all the different locations

ConsThe unethical Good Old Boys way of thinking among the leadership runs so deep and is so widespread here, I don't think it could be reversed in a single generation. Very oriented to a strong bottom line no matter who or what gets in the way, mistakes can be hidden with a well-practised ease & Goliath-sized backing. Good place for bottom feeders & slick talkers to fine tune their trades while moving towards senior level positions. Retaliation against nonconformists is so common, it's expected as part of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen to advice or employee company reviews, pointless to try offering more now

Agents mean absolutely nothing to the company

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

ProsFreedom and POSSIBLE (but not likely) high pay

ConsIn my time working as an agent for Farmers Insurance, I dedicated all of my time to getting policies in the door. Unfortunately, Farmers is a higher priced insurance company in comparison. Selling policies is not always that easy to do. You have a quota monthly, and if you do not meet it, you are let go. Initial thought is to get your family to switch so that you can make your numbers. Once you bring everyone you know on board and meet your first quota, you pass the "training" period. They begin to pay you subsidy.

Long story short... If you miss your quota, you are required to pay back your subsidy (could be thousands), they now have the income from all your family, you cannot take those policies to another company for one year, and all the money that you made you are either paying back or you spent on advertising (which is not cheap).

They will try and talk you into why it is a great company. Don't buy it. Stay far away.

In my tenth year, the outlook isn't good--either for my career or the company at large.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent pay and reasonable benefits. Below the level of the office of the president, you'll find some talented people.

ConsTruly poor leadership, a culture of having to achieve with limited resources and never being able to say "No."

Advice to Senior ManagementFind employment elsewhere.

A decent insurance company to work for

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExtensive amounts of training, plenty of support staff and a strong national marketing campaign to support you.

ConsTheir actual rates are uncompetitive in urban/city environments. They were constantly in a state of flux, changing websites/tech/coms systems and processes at a whim. Extremely performance driven almost to the point where were cut throat. No clear organizational goals or objectives, just SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!

They also required a ridiculous amount of unpaid training/meetings and other functions that agents had to attend to plus they nickel and dimed the agents like it was going out of style.

Advice to Senior ManagementA cleaner, more concise and to the point training system. More emphasis on cohesion and unity and less on SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!!!

Communicate more

Don't just wipe out entire districts/scores of managers just like that

Don't nickel and dime your agents

If you are going to require extensive amounts of training (something like 150 hours if I could remember) for God's sake compensate them for their time, effort and gas.

Worked for Farmers Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Farmers Insurance Group Videos

Farmers Insurance Group – Why Work for Us?

Farmers Insurance Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zurich Financial Services, an insurance-based financial services provider with a global network of subsidiaries and offices. Farmers® is the nation's… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farmers Insurance Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey. All 591 reviews posted anonymously by Farmers Insurance Group employees.